• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Save Money and Get a Big Ship

It doesn't seem likely that an additional aircraft could be added to a frigate.
Does not our doctrine count/rely on a medium helicopter capable of independent operation from the ship?
How would the other helicopter be integrated?
I could see another helicopter based off the AOR(Maybe UH-1Y).
Can the CH-148 be used for other purposes or are they essentially limited to anti submarine warfare?

suffolkowner said:
Thanks EITS

That would suggest to me that there is no huge need to diversify the marine helicopter fleet

That is why we have such a big bird on the decks of our frigates. It gives the RCN great flexibility when conducting operations abroad and not just ASW.

Hmmmm, just imagine the flexibility and range of operations that a carrier the size of Mistral or Canberra would provide to the government of Canada?
But then, that would assume that Canada is capable of having some sort of strategic doctrine to support combat/peace support or disaster relief operations outside of purely ad hocery. 

It would have been fun to be in the room if Harper had gotten the 2 Mistrals and dropped the bomb on the senior staff; "By the way you now have 2 helicopter carrying assault ships you need to incorporate into how you do business and we have a mission for you already....."

suffolkowner said:
1.  It doesn't seem likely that an additional aircraft could be added to a frigate.
2.  Does not our doctrine count/rely on a medium helicopter capable of independent operation from the ship?
3. How would the other helicopter be integrated?
I could see another helicopter based off the AOR(Maybe UH-1Y).
4. Can the CH-148 be used for other purposes or are they essentially limited to anti submarine warfare?

Questions in order...

1.  An additional aircraft can be added provided its not much bigger then a Puma.  Not much space left in that hangar when the Cyclone is embarked.

2.  Yes.  The capabilities of a medium helo are one of the reasons the TG numbers are what they are. 

3.  There was a discussion on another thread regarding using a helo for AEW much the same way the UK does.  I would surmise that would be a good use.

4.  Their surface search radar is excellent.  Asking a Cyclone in the air to pop up to 10000 ft or so to help find a contact is a real game changer in Recognized Maritime Picture.  They can the go check out the contact if needed.  Their sensor suite is amazing.  I'm a huge fanboy of this aircraft so far.

Some type of helicopter assault ship would have a number of possible missions from ASW to humanitarian. It would be a good to have on the tool belt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3010499/Japanese-navy-gets-biggest-flat-WWII-era-aircraft-carriers.html

Eye In The Sky said:
Asid from the amount of issues that would come from a second helicopter on an ASW frigate...3 questions:
Since I am not an expert ...  could you please indicate a few ?

1.  You do know the CH-148 is an ASW helicopter, right?  (...)
Yes ... and can do many other tasks as well, for which the crews are trained. 

2.  Where are these "other, non-ASW frigates" coming from in the RCN?
Well, when I started my post in this thread I mentioned about future CSCs, of which I would make two variants: ASW (10 units) & AAW (5). All the following is built on that as a will/ desire/ hypotheses on my best understanding.

Of course I am not suggesting all the CSCs (and crews) should be available at all times.

3.  2 types of helicopters for the RCN would require 2 different types of aircrew and maintainers as well. (...)

Sorry if I have bothered anyone, was not at all in my mind. I see Cyclones as a very useful MH including ASW roles , but looking into other navies ...

* UK operates both Merlin (similar to Cyclone) and AW 159 Wildcat

* Italy & Germany use 2 helos in their ASW Fremms / F-123 & F-124 frigates.

* French navy is operating 4 types of helos: panther, dauphin, caiman (NH90) & Lynx (what a zoo  ;)  ).

That being said, my proposal is for only a second type of helo of around 6.000 kg MTOW. I consider this could bring savings by using them as a "force multiplier" in support of the frigates and Cyclones.

Doesn't it make sense a naval group of one AAW frigate with one CH-148, another ASW or multipurpose frig with one more CH-148 and a 3rd ASW frig with 2x Wildcats to cover a wider area and provide more time on air?

This , of course, from an amateur point of view.

Colin P said:
A modern version of the flying peanut with a dip sonar would be interesting, mount the Mk 48 triple mounts on the AOP's and they could do some ASW if needed, their a target anyways.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yvRrv8St2I

Mk48 torpedos, are a heavy weight, launched only by submarines.

They are not carried by surface ships, ever. You are, perhaps, thinking of either the Mk46 or the Mk54.

JMCanada said:
Sorry if I have bothered anyone, was not at all in my mind. I see Cyclones as a very useful MH including ASW roles , but looking into other navies ...

* UK operates both Merlin (similar to Cyclone) and AW 159 Wildcat

* Italy & Germany use 2 helos in their ASW Fremms / F-123 & F-124 frigates.

* French navy is operating 4 types of helos: panther, dauphin, caiman (NH90) & Lynx (what a zoo  ;)  ).

That being said, my proposal is for only a second type of helo of around 6.000 kg MTOW. I consider this could bring savings by using them as a "force multiplier" in support of the frigates and Cyclones.

Doesn't it make sense a naval group of one AAW frigate with one CH-148, another ASW or multipurpose frig with one more CH-148 and a 3rd ASW frig with 2x Wildcats to cover a wider area and provide more time on air?

This , of course, from an amateur point of view.

Without getting into a lot of detail, none of what you propose makes any sense for Canada.

Our task groups are structured in such a way that the Cyclone provides 24/7 coverage. It it large enough to carry enough sensors to be able to switch roles, required. A small helo like your propose is a "one trick pony" or is always fuel critical.

To say nothing about where we would get the people to staff entirely new squadrons- personnel being a zero sum game in the CAF.

SeaKingTacco said:
Mk48 torpedos, are a heavy weight, launched only by submarines.

They are not carried by surface ships, ever. You are, perhaps, thinking of either the Mk46 or the Mk54.

you be correct, my bad.

JMCanada said:
Sorry if I have bothered anyone, was not at all in my mind.

I don't think you're bothering anyone, truthfully.  Some of us here do the Maritime and Maritime Air stuff for a living so we're a little more aware of the issues that come along with 'adding this or that' into our current ORBAT. 

*disclaimer - I am not an MH type, but I understand some of the very basic 'stuff' about their (both the RCN and MH) worlds.  I am a LRP type; we work with them on occasion.

JMCanada said:
Sorry if I have bothered anyone, was not at all in my mind.

No you are not bothering anyone. In fact its nice to see a Canadian citizen take an interest in our nation's maritime defence capabilities.

I apologize for my somewhat snarky response to your initial post.

Cheers and keep up your interest!

Underway said:
4.  Their surface search radar is excellent.  Asking a Cyclone in the air to pop up to 10000 ft or so to help find a contact is a real game changer in Recognized Maritime Picture.  They can the go check out the contact if needed.  Their sensor suite is amazing.  I'm a huge fanboy of this aircraft so far.

I'd love to see the LRP fleet start getting a little more involved in the picture you're talking about here too, Cdn CPFs, SSKs, MH and LRPAs working and training together.  I know, I'm dreaming.  ;D

Very happy to hear the Cyclone is thought of this way though.  I'm sure there will be tons of discussions during the VDQ sail and "lessons learned" stuff both during and after they get back. 

If we were looking at a second class of MH, I’d like to see one picked for AOPS operations. I read awhile back a proposal for a variant of the new help the CCG just got. A Cyclone seems like overkill on an AOPS and I’m still not sure about CCG air dets on RCN missions.

Eye In The Sky said:
I'd love to see the LRP fleet start getting a little more involved in the picture you're talking about here too, Cdn CPFs, SSKs, MH and LRPAs working and training together.  I know, I'm dreaming.  ;D

If the Russians keep putting more and more subs in the North Atlantic, you may get your dream EITS.

As I have said before, during the Cold War, I don't know a single CO who didn't say a quiet prayer of thanks to the Sea Gods whenever we had MPA flying in support.

tomahawk6 said:
Some type of helicopter assault ship would have a number of possible missions from ASW to humanitarian. It would be a good to have on the tool belt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3010499/Japanese-navy-gets-biggest-flat-WWII-era-aircraft-carriers.html

Agreed.  Getting something like the Izumo would propel us back into the carrier business, give us a forward strike platform for whenever we get the F-35 and allow us to have a base ship for infantry assaults.  The crew compliment beyond the embarked troops is only double a CPF.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
If the Russians keep putting more and more subs in the North Atlantic, you may get your dream EITS.

As I have said before, during the Cold War, I don't know a single CO who didn't say a quiet prayer of thanks to the Sea Gods whenever we had MPA flying in support.

I'd also say a quiet prayer to have the number of VP aircraft and crews we had back then, too.  And...the endurance the Argus had.

Eye In The Sky said:

The west coast has the range, so at least those crews (both MH and LRP) get some co-op time semi-regularly.  I'm surprised that the east coast folks don't use it at least once a year.

Back