• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Royal Newfoundlanders

YZT580

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Just a note.  July 1 is not just a remembrance and celebration for Canada Day.  It is also the day that the Royal Newfoundland Regiment went over the top in Beaumont Hamel in the first Battle of the Somme and were totally decimated.  If any have had the chance to walk the field, you will know that they didn't have a prayer, yet they obeyed orders. Please join with me in remembering their sacrifice before you start with the celebrations.  Thanks.

Was already planning on Remembering, but thanks for posting this up.

Deadpan

i was not aware of this. thanks for sharing, i will say a prayer on July 1st for those boys and men.

The Canadian Virtual War Memorial identifies 243 Royal Newfoundlanders who died 1 July 1916.

Search Criteria
Date of Death: July 1, 1916
Regiment: Royal Newfoundland Regiment

Michael O`Leary said:
The Canadian Virtual War Memorial identifies 243 Royal Newfoundlanders who died 1 July 1916.

Search Criteria
Date of Death: July 1, 1916
Regiment: Royal Newfoundland Regiment
Whoa what a find, thanks for the link Mr. O'Leary.

Deadpan

Just a note - when I clicked on the link, I got some search results, but had to "re-enter" the criteria in "Advanced Search" to get an accurate list

muskrat89 said:
Just a note - when I clicked on the link, I got some search results, but had to "re-enter" the criteria in "Advanced Search" to get an accurate list

It takes me to the search results.

muskrat89 said:
Michael O`Leary said:
It takes me to the search results.
Yeah me too.

Deadpan

Wasn't implying you had the link wrong. Just putting that up in case it happened to someone else.

:salute:

muskrat89 said:
Wasn't implying you had the link wrong. Just putting that up in case it happened to someone else.

:salute:
Ah I see.

It's weird seeing some names from people who are distant relatives, really brings it all closer if you will.

God Bless them all :salute:

Deadpan

Holy hell!  Theres a bit of everything out there on this forum.  I spent 5 years with 2RNFLDR before I went to the reg force.

Bloody decks

Back