• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP as a 2lt?

clarkyo said:
I am not too familiar with the ROTP entry plan but would he be allowed to find a part time job while he is in school to supplement his cadet salary?  Just a few hours of work per work could go a long way when it comes to bills and food.  If I were the poster though, I would look into a tech trade that I'm already qualified in.  Four years is a long time when you already have a family.

I have thought about that as well, but if you consider the fact you get job for 5 years afterwards, plus
the chance to turn the BSc into an MSc later on in your military career, which will allow you more years
or guaranteed work, it seems like a really good long term plan.

Not even mentioning the benefit plan and other bonuses. 

The more I think about the commitment and opportunity, the more I like the idea, and I have
my wife's full support.

Hodr said:
From what I've seen, I can get a liveable 3 bedroom within 3km for $150k (info from mls Canada website), I can put about 100k into from the sale of my current house
(Mostly my dad's equity so I can't use it to live off since I know some people will ask) that leaves me with 50k in a mortgage.

Where in the city? If you send me a PM where you're looking, I can let you know some areas you won't want your wife and kids living in.

PuckChaser said:
Where in the city? If you send me a PM where you're looking, I can let you know some areas you won't want your wife and kids living in.

Patrick St.?

Zoomie said:
There's a piece of good advice.  You can probably expect upwards of 6 years of low end salary - 4 in school + at least 2 in training.

You will also find that ROTP is geared towards high school graduates entering school the next year - not married, older, wiser people.

It turns out you were right on this, I found a job in the civilian market offering 10% of my tuition costs and $122k salary after school,
maybe after a build a nice nest egg I'll look into direct entry.

Back