• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP as a 2lt?

Hodr

Inactive
Reaction score
Is there anything I can do  to start ROTP at RMC as a 2LT?

I'm Married, with a son, and therefore can not afford to live for 4 years
on the Officer cadet wage.

Is it possible to get the rank through Reserves and then switch to the
ROTP in the regular forces?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but do you realize what you're asking?  Can we pay you more than everyone else to do the same job?

We don't pay you more (or promote you) simply because you need more money to support your lifestyle.  You have to earn promotion under the terms and conditions of your enrollment.

When I joined under ROTP, I got nothing in terms of pay for my previous Reserve service, but I was allowed to buy some pensionable time (still have a few years to go before I get the benefit of that though).  I've been led to believe that for awhile (several years after I did it), ex-Reservists were granted vested rights to pay upon transfer into ROTP (which would be beneficial as Reserve corporals make more than ROTP OCdts), but apparently that has since been rescinded.

You can get your degree civvie side on your own dime and then join. You're getting a free education as a ROTP student at RMC, worth over $40,000. That's why the pay is a bit lower. You'd need to join the reserves and get to be at least a Cpl (4 years) before you'd make enough to have vested rights to pay to make more than a OCdt IPC0.

Commissions are not handed out because you need a little more coin.

Like everything else in the CF they must be earned.

Pusser said:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but do you realize what you're asking?  Can we pay you more than everyone else to do the same job?

We don't pay you more (or promote you) simply because you need more money to support your lifestyle.  You have to earn promotion under the terms and conditions of your enrollment.

I'm not unwilling to work for it, I'm just asking for options.

PuckChaser said:
You can get your degree civvie side on your own dime and then join. You're getting a free education as a ROTP student at RMC, worth over $40,000. That's why the pay is a bit lower. You'd need to join the reserves and get to be at least a Cpl (4 years) before you'd make enough to have vested rights to pay to make more than a OCdt IPC0.

Awesome, thank you, this is what I will have to do.

I'm not so much asking for a huge starting pay and nothing in return, I would just like
something similar to OCTP, they make More as a Cadet, but less than ROTP and 2LT and LT.
an OCTP pay rate would be perfect for me, and in the long run they make to same as ROTP.

I really was hoping we had something similar to a few other countries, which
gives a "bonus" for people with very high aptitude ratings. :-(

It seems I am getting Complaints about being inappropriate.

"E.R. Campbell thought Hodr was Inappropriate (-300 MP)"
"Amount: -300 MilPoints"
"Notes: And you want to be an officer? Grow up!"

It was my understanding that an officer was someone who could think outside the box
in order to solve problems. The pay issue is just a problem I need to get around. I never
said it was my right, but I do have a wife and child to care for, also my 71 year old
grandfather who I look after since he has no one else left to do so.

I would be leaving a $3100/m job behind to join the army, I'm not a kid straight
out of high school, asking for the world.

P.S.

E.R. Campbell, I would really appreciate knowing how you find yourself able
to make such a character judgement on someone with so little information.

Hodr said:
I really was hoping we had something similar to a few other countries, which
gives a "bonus" for people with very high aptitude ratings. :-(

The bonus doesn't come right away. Once you hit Captain, you'll be making quite a bit of money, even more so at Major and above if you get that far. Your family may have to live frugally for a few years before you're finished schooling, but the pay will catch up with you. Some say its worth the wait.

PuckChaser said:
The bonus doesn't come right away. Once you hit Captain, you'll be making quite a bit of money, even more so at Major and above if you get that far. Your family may have to live frugally for a few years before you're finished schooling, but the pay will catch up with you. Some say its worth the wait.

Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it.

You can join first and make less money with free school

or

You can pay for school and join after with a bit higher pay

Either way, in the end, it all works out to the same. You family situation is not a reason to grant you a higher rank for which you are not qualified to hold.

CDN Aviator said:
You family situation is not a reason to grant you a higher rank for which you are not qualified to hold.

What he said.

Regardless of your aptitude results.

CDN Aviator said:
You can join first and make less money with free school

or

You can pay for school and join after with a bit higher pay

Either way, in the end, it all works out to the same. You family situation is not a reason to grant you a higher rank for which you are not qualified to hold.

I understand, it's just sad that I have 5 years experience in the Electrical and Mechanical
Engineering field, and it is going to count for nothing since I don't have a degree, I had to
work hard to get the position without one... :-/

Hodr said:
it's just sad that I have 5 years experience in the Electrical and Mechanical
Engineering field, and it is going to count for nothing since I don't have a degree, I had to
work hard to get the position without one... :-/

:crybaby:

Maybe Tim Horton's would pay you more due to you experience ?

Your life experience will not go to waste, it never does. That being said, you do not have a degree and therefore need to get one, one way or another, in order to be an officer in the CF.

CDN Aviator said:
:crybaby:

Maybe Tim Horton's would pay you more due to you experience ?

Your life experience will not go to waste, it never does. That being said, you do not have a degree and therefore need to get one, one way or another, in order to be an officer in the CF.

It seems likely I will just have to pay for a civilian university and test out.
Going to be a lot of money wasted paying for a course just to skip it with a few
tests, but I seem to haveno other option

Hodr said:
It seems likely I will just have to pay for a civilian university and test out.
Going to be a lot of money wasted paying for a course just to skip it with a few
tests, but I seem to haveno other option

Now, if only there was a place where you could get university for free, getting a salary at the same time..................

CDN Aviator said:
Now, if only there was a place where you could get university for free, getting a salary at the same time..................

That would be Europe, but there is no need to be rude.

P.S.

2 months of commitment for every one month of school means it
is hardly free.

Hodr said:

P.S.

is hardly free.

:facepalm:

Hodr said:

That would be Canada.............you get paid to attend free school !!! Thats ROTP !!!!

*facepalm*

Hodr said:
is hardly free.

Oh, now i see the problem..................you want your cake and eat mine too !!

Good luck at Tim Horton's.

PMedMoe said:
:facepalm:

There are options in Europe to be pay to attend University for an in demand
field, with similar commitment.

Even here in Canada as a civilian doctor serving northern Canada

Back