• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2011-2012

VeryMerry said:
I was just told today during my acceptance phone call that Recruit Camp would be at the Royal Military College in Kingston. How did you hear that it would be at CFLRS in St. Jean?

Yoman is correct barring any changes.

Since I have seem to have lost my last few summers having to go teach at the recruit camp and being proactive and knowing the Operations Warrant at CMR, I have gotten the same info direct from him below;

This is what I know and what the plan is so far....the orientation camp for CMR St-Jean is here and the Civi U + the Kingston orientation camp is at the Mega with CMR taking the over flow of the Kingston Ocdts if theirs too many for the Mega to handle but so far no Civi U here at CMR.

There is some other stuff but it is mostly instructor related and not needed here.  It has a quite a bit to do with the fact that the instructors at the Mega since the recruiting slow down are now under employed rather than over employed.  Lastly he stress that like everything it is subject to change.

MJP said:
Yoman is correct barring any changes.

Since I have seem to have lost my last few summers having to go teach at the recruit camp and being proactive and knowing the Operations Warrant at CMR, I have gotten the same info direct from him below;

Thank you MJP (and Yoman) for the information! It's great to have information direct from someone 'in the know.' As you said, I will count on nothing as concrete until I have travel instructions and tickets in hand.

Many thanks!

CadetRac said:
http://www.rmc.ca/ji-ir/ji-ir-c-eng.asp

Those seem like pretty good physical objectives that you will be required to uphold.

Yes that standard is a good start. Only getting those minimums will, however, not allow your to pass the RMC PPT (PT test). The test is point based and getting the minimum on everything only gets you 230 points (from what I remember) and you need 250 to pass.

MJP said:
This is what I know and what the plan is so far....the orientation camp for CMR St-Jean is here and the Civi U + the Kingston orientation camp is at the Mega with CMR taking the over flow of the Kingston Ocdts if theirs too many for the Mega to handle but so far no Civi U here at CMR.

There is some other stuff but it is mostly instructor related and not needed here.  It has a quite a bit to do with the fact that the instructors at the Mega since the recruiting slow down are now under employed rather than over employed.  Lastly he stress that like everything it is subject to change.

I heard the same thing.

Congratulations to everyone who is getting there acceptances. I'd like to comment on some of the items that are currently being discussed; specifically, accepting RMC instead of Civi U and the fitness requirements for RMC/ Civi U.

For those of you who had your hearts set on Civi U and are being offered RMC instead, make sure that you really want to come to RMC. It can be a very long four years, especially if you do not like what the military colleges have to offer. I know numerous people who were in the same situation and accepted RMC, only to regret their time here. Many add to the troubles of the military staff and their peers now because of how they whine and complain about how the system eff'd them. Conversely I know others who finished 1 or 2 years of Civi U, came here and have excelled at and enjoyed the college. Don't just look at RMC as an entry program and don't think you can come to RMC and demand a switch to Civi U later (it has happened, but in very special cases), make your choice based on whether or not RMC is right for you. Personally, RMC was the right choice for me, yet it can still be very demanding and you can lose motivation very quickly. I can't even imagine what it would be like if RMC had not been my first choice. For those of you who are undecided, you can still come for your first year and try it out for free. Work hard, finish the year in good standing and then decide whether or not RMC is right for you, there is no shame in leaving if it isn't.

My second point is on fitness. In my opinion, fitness is one of the best and easiest ways to prepare for a course. For Recruit Camp, BMOQ, and BMOQ-L there isn't much to worry about information wise and the joining instructions don't stress any knowledge you need to know before course, thus the best way to prepare for these courses is to focus on getting as fit as you can possibly be. The fitter you are, the easier the course is. By being fit you are able to make better decisions when everyone around you is tired, you will adapt more easily to the demands of course, you will be less likely to injure yourself, etc. Fitness is extremely important for so many reasons and if it isn't already an important part of your lifestyle, you need to make it one.

CadetRac posted the standards for the RMC PPT, which is a good measurable standard to work up to. It may not be the greatest test of fitness, but for those coming to RMC it is the one that you will have to pass. It is not a hard test and everyone should be able to pass it. The PSP staff have recently developed a fitness package that should be sent out to all candidates accepted to RMC to help them pass their PPTs when they get here. It is based around a push-up program that was developed earlier in the year. Don't wait until you get that package, start working on your push ups and all other parts of your fitness now.

This is just my  :2c: as a third year Officer Cadet at RMC. I hope this helps some of you deciding on whether or not you should accept the RMC offer, and those asking about fitness. Good luck all.

MOTHforLife said:
I received a call today saying that I have been accepted to RMC as a MARS Officer. I am just completing my first year at the University of Ottawa, and I asked if any of my credits would carry over. Based on what I have seen in the past, I have a feeling that I will be restarting as a first year, but I am not bothered by this at all. That phone call was quite the stress reliever for my exam period.  :)

You can get credits only if the same course(s) is part of your program here. Even then, you will restart as a first year.

Well, here's to hoping the rest of us get some news today. It's been a long wait, but I think I'm going to drop by the recruiting centre at lunch time if I haven't heard anything by then!

Again, good luck to everybody that's still waiting!

15 more minutes until they open!... Fingers crossed

742_guy said:
Well, here's to hoping the rest of us get some news today. It's been a long wait, but I think I'm going to drop by the recruiting centre at lunch time if I haven't heard anything by then!

Again, good luck to everybody that's still waiting!

15 more minutes until they open!... Fingers crossed

Assuming from the time above you live in St. John's. I know as of yesterday they still hadn't got any official word and therefore could not pass on any information, and the recruiter said it may take a few days, but good luck either way!

I suppose we can use the principle of KISS here:

A university, any university, will not award you a Degree for courses given at another university.  It is their Seal on your Diploma, and their accreditation and credibility at stake.  They will for the most part honour a limited number of credits given by another university, but will insist that the majority (more than eighty or ninety per cent) of your credits towards your Degree be earned at their institution.  I hope this simplifies things. 

George Wallace said:
A university, any university, will not award you a Degree for courses given at another university.  It is their Seal on your Diploma, and their accreditation and credibility at stake.  They will for the most part honour a limited number of credits given by another university, but will insist that the majority (more than eighty or ninety per cent) of your credits towards your Degree be earned at their institution.  I hope this simplifies things.

It is common that universities give 2 or 3 years credit for past work.  Under the US model it is very normal to take the 1st 2 years at a college close to home and the last 2 years at a big school.  There are at least 3 American and one Canadian state or provincial  school where a degree can be awarded with ALL courses transferred from other schools.  At one point I applied for a Bachelor of General Studies from Athabasca University as a second bachelors degree.  As they expected me to take 2 courses while I expected none, I did something different with my courses.

I've been waiting on my Component Transfer / ROTP and just received my good news! I've been selected and now I have to wait for the "formal response" which should come sometime next week. Congrats to the others selected, and for those who weren't as fortunate, don't give up...things always have a way of working themselves out in the long run.

MCplManser said:
I've been waiting on my Component Transfer / ROTP and just received my good news! I've been selected and now I have to wait for the "formal response" which should come sometime next week.

Ditto. I just got my call today as well. My recruiter has told me that I will be receiving a letter in the mail and that it will serve as my formal acceptance.

Still no news from CFRC Saskatoon. I'm beginning to think I won't get any news before Easter.

tor-bear said:
Anyone going to CMR their first year due to "over flow" at RMC - Kingston?

Yeah, that is where I am headed. It is actually great though because it will be an awesome opportunity to get some second language training.

Haven't Heard anything today, really wanted to hear something, as one of my buddies who applied at the same CFRC (CFRC London) got accepted on Friday, and when I called my File Manager he said he should of heard Friday but doesn't know, when he will. :S

PrairieBoy said:
Still no news from CFRC Saskatoon. I'm beginning to think I won't get any news before Easter.

I got my call today and my application was out of CFRC Halifax, so I think you have a fair chance of hearing something tomorrow (Thursday).

Hey guys, just decided to join the discussion. I'm a CT for MARS. Haven't heard anything at all yet either. Congratulations to those who made it. Hopefully I will see you soon. To those who didn't make it, don't let it bring you down. You now know the process, work at your weaknesses, and crush the application next year.

tor-bear said:
Anyone going to CMR their first year due to "over flow" at RMC - Kingston?
I'm going to CMR first year.  Possibly because of overflow at RMC Kingston, or possibly because I never actually applied to RMC (really wanted Civ U).

See you there! What trades did you guys get?

Back