• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2011-2012

Maverick94 said:
That puts me more at ease, since my marks were around that. What were your extracurriculars? If you don't mind me askin'.

Grad Council at school, Sea Cadets, Volunteering with the Navy League, Sailing, Biathlon, Track & Field and a few minor clubs at school. I'm not sure if they actually count Band as an extracurricular(although there is a section on the application for music ability.)

Bowen said:
Grad Council at school, Sea Cadets, Volunteering with the Navy League, Sailing, Biathlon, Track & Field and a few minor clubs at school. I'm not sure if they actually count Band as an extracurricular(although there is a section on the application for music ability.)

Okay cool. I have about the same amount of EC's, but different sports and different volunteering. ahah

Sapper01 said:
Do they often send people who already have a year in university or time in the CF to CMR?

It's not really likely, but they may. A guy I went to RMC with was sent to CMR first and he had 2 years of uni. However, he'd been out of school for a while, so I think that was why. The truth is, you just never know what the CF will decide or why.

I received a call today saying that I have been accepted to RMC as a MARS Officer. I am just completing my first year at the University of Ottawa, and I asked if any of my credits would carry over. Based on what I have seen in the past, I have a feeling that I will be restarting as a first year, but I am not bothered by this at all. That phone call was quite the stress reliever for my exam period.  :)

MOTHforLife said:
I received a call today saying that I have been accepted to RMC as a MARS Officer. I am just completing my first year at the University of Ottawa, and I asked if any of my credits would carry over. Based on what I have seen in the past, I have a feeling that I will be restarting as a first year, but I am not bothered by this at all. That phone call was quite the stress reliever for my exam period.  :)

I had applied for civi-u only last year and I had completed 2 years of university. I was offered RMC and not civi-u. I ended up getting civi-u when they realized I had started a degree and had 60 credits.
Keep in touch with the RC. I called multiple times to get information about transferring credits. It can be done but I heard it was complicated.

They eventually found where the error in my file was. Who ever had my file right after the selection process entered RMC instead of civi-u into the computer system. The head clerk reviewed my file when he eventually received the paper format and immediately called me to inform me of the change.

Lucky for me I had not withdrawn from my university or any of the courses when they called in the begining of august.

And so another day comes to pass, fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Nice to hear that more offers are coming out, congrats to everyone who heard today!

Maverick94 said:
Oh really? Whys that? I selected JR CMR too ahah, but its not my first choice.

Can't speak French, want to learn, CMR seems like it would be a good way to do so.

Re: ECs: I was very involved in my Air Cadet squadron, volunteered with the Saskatoon Open Door Society (tutoring immigrant high school students in English), and was on my school's rugby and curling teams.

I guess I should clarify-

I applied only for Civi U.  I have only one semester done.  I was offered a year at CMR followed by 3 years at RMC Kingston.  My whole essay in the application was quite specific about the school I wanted to go to.  It does dampen the excitement of being offered my top trade choice a bit, but it's a small price to pay for what's being offered.

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Just recieved my call!

Looks like im also off to RMC-StJean (CMR?) for a year then off to Kingston for three!

Same boat as you jwtg?

Also I will add i was accepted for Marine Systems Engineering Officer.

Congrats to all and see you in August :)

So I got my call yesterday. Same thing as above where I didn't actually apply to RMC. Unfortunately I can't leave the university I'm at right now so I told my recruiter to send my application back. She says the chances to get accepted into civilian university now are "slim" and that even if they give me another offer it could be to RMC again for another occupation.

Just wondering now whether I turned down my occupation as a whole, or whether I just turned down my occupation at the RMC? Also, I am being put on the Merit list... What does that exactly mean? I just want to make sure I didn't turn down my occupation as I still want them to offer me that occupation but just in civ U.

Henning said:
So I got my call yesterday. Same thing as above where I didn't actually apply to RMC. Unfortunately I can't leave the university I'm at right now so I told my recruiter to send my application back. She says the chances to get accepted into civilian university now are "slim" and that even if they give me another offer it could be to RMC again for another occupation.

I wonder why you even bothered applying for ROTP, as the majority of people accepted WILL go to RMC.  Very few will attend civilian universities.  This looks like you just gave up your spot to someone else waiting a little lower on the merit list. 

Henning said:
Just wondering now whether I turned down my occupation as a whole, or whether I just turned down my occupation at the RMC? Also, I am being put on the Merit list... What does that exactly mean? I just want to make sure I didn't turn down my occupation as I still want them to offer me that occupation but just in civ U.

It means you gave up your spot and you are now placed lower on the merit list, bumping everyone else up one posn.  You will now have to wait for all those who were below you to turn down their offers, before you get another offer. 

I really don't understand how you can apply for employment, and then think that the "employer" will bend over backwards to accommodate your wishes.  I think you have your facts of life backwards.

George Wallace said:
I wonder why you even bothered applying for ROTP, as the majority of people accepted WILL go to RMC.  Very few will attend civilian universities.  This looks like you just gave up your spot to someone else waiting a little lower on the merit list. 
This wasn't always the case.  2009-2010 had about 115 people attend the Civi U recruit camp at RMC St. Jean for eastern Canada, and we were told that there was a similar recruit camp happening at RMC kingston for western Canada. This year they REALLY trimmed down the amount of people that get to attend Civi U as compared to years past, and are sending most of us Civi U hopefuls to CMR in St Jean for year 1, then 3 years in Kingston.
It means you gave up your spot and you are now placed lower on the merit list, bumping everyone else up one posn.  You will now have to wait for all those who were below you to turn
I really don't understand how you can apply for employment, and then think that the "employer" will bend over backwards to accommodate your wishes.  I think you have your facts of life backwards.
And that's the way the cookie crumbles. 
EDIT TO ADD: The rest is not directed at George Wallace, but rather at people who find themselves in my situation- accepted but not quite as they had hoped.
Preference were listed (and rightly so) on applications, however RMC decides where you go to school.  Take it or leave it.  I definitely didn't get my top choice of school, but I got my top choice of trade and the opportunity to work for a career that could last a long time and be very rewarding- a rare commodity these days. 
If you CAN'T leave your university then that means you can't commit fully to the CF, and ROTP probably isn't right for you.

Hopefully something better (for you) comes your way.

@George Wallace

Haha it's alright you don't have to understand it  :). You'd have to understand all my personal reasons for joining the military first. Understand though that I applied with the mindset, "This is a great opportunity for an amazing career. I want to get involved in global development while pursuing engineering at Queen's and this is a perfect way to do that. If I get into civ U that's great even though it's unlikely, but it's always better to try and turn something down than not to try at all."

I wouldn't mess with George...I've heard stories...

I was told that when George Wallace rises to his feet in the morning the devil says, "Oh damn, he's back."

jwtg said:
This wasn't always the case.  2009-2010 had about 115 people attend the Civi U recruit camp at RMC St. Jean for eastern Canada, and we were told that there was a similar recruit camp happening at RMC kingston for western Canada. This year they REALLY trimmed down the amount of people that get to attend Civi U as compared to years past, and are sending most of us Civi U hopefuls to CMR in St Jean for year 1, then 3 years in Kingston.

RMC is still the location of choice for the CF to send their ROTP candidates.  In the last few years there has been major renovations and construction at RMC, so that would be the cause that the CF to placed more ROTP candidates at other locations; ie. Civi U's. 

I went by my CFRC and learned I was selected ROTP-Civilian University, Pilot, my first and only choice.  :D
I'll finish my degree at UQAM (Montréal).

The number of spots available for ROTP-pilot is 40, althought I don't know how many people are on the merit list and how these 40 are distributed between RMC, CMR and civilian university.

I'm really looking foward to know if there will be a boot camp this summer, and if yes, when it starts.

Henning said:
@George Wallace

Haha it's alright you don't have to understand it  :). You'd have to understand all my personal reasons for joining the military first. Understand though that I applied with the mindset, "This is a great opportunity for an amazing career. I want to get involved in global development while pursuing engineering at Queen's and this is a perfect way to do that. If I get into civ U that's great even though it's unlikely, but it's always better to try and turn something down than not to try at all."

Personally I don't think you have demonstrated the right reasons for joining the CF.  RMC has one of the finest Engineering faculties in the country.  RMC students also take crses at Queen's University, a few blocks away.  As you "insist" on going to Queen's, I suspect (after your posts) you of having ulterior and selfish motives, but that is just me. 

jwtg said:
This wasn't always the case.  2009-2010 had about 115 people attend the Civi U recruit camp at RMC St. Jean for eastern Canada

For 2010-2011 ROTP we were only 72 civi-u at the recruit camp at St-Jean for eastern Canada. I sense a trend.

mathabos said:
For 2010-2011 ROTP we were only 72 civi-u at the recruit camp at St-Jean for eastern Canada. I sense a trend.

There really were not that many more the year previous though.  Out of the 115, twenty three or so of them were CMR folks that were accepted late so just did the recruit camp with the civU folks.  Regardless it makes sense with reduced recruiting numbers that a majority of the offers will be for RMC vice CivvyU, as the costs to run it are for the most part sunk costs.  It makes sense then to make use of those already spent funds by maximizing the number of students there.

George Wallace said:
P  As you "insist" on going to Queen's, I suspect (after your posts) you of having ulterior and selfish motives, but that is just me.

Ulterior motive : Global Domination

You got me.

Anyway we'll see what happens with my application from here.  Thanks for your answer on the merit list and such anyway.

Back