• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2011-2012

OneMissionataTime said:
Your not covered if your injured in certain sports.. That's what the SEM has told me IE: Boxing I am certain is one of them and if you were to play hockey you would have too wear a full mask not just a visor.

*Edit* This is during your Subsidy and your service with the CF, if you are unclear. You can do it on your own dime and risk but will not receive coverage if you are injured.

Could you provide an official reference for this?
What you were told and what I was told is clearly different- something official could clear up the confusion.

For sure, I am looking for the briefing but they give us a ROTP Manual, sort of like a University --> Military handbook. I am pretty certain on what I heard, maybe it is like this way because we are being subsidized by the Government for everything and they are supposed to medically cover us? Were you in the reserves?

I remember about one guy wanting to do extreme sports last summer during our orientation period. He
was a qualified parachutist and jumped a couple times a month. They told him no right off the bat. I know
he fought to be able to do it but I didn't hear anything about it.

Oh btw they also told us that you could go scuba diving as long as you don't go deeper than 10 feet.

Just make sure you ask.

2.14 Sports (CFAO 9-58)
37. Physical fitness is a fundamental military requirement for all members of the CF. However, a change in your medical category, due to injuries caused by non authorized physical fitness activities, could result in your release from the CF. If you injure yourself during physical fitness activities, a CF98 (Form) Report on injuries, must be completed and signed by a witness. These forms are available through your ULO.
38. Some sports are governed by specific regulations such as parachuting, scuba sports diving, gliding and soaring. Other sports are qualified as "adventure training" and must be authorized by NDHQ through the Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency (CFPSA) representative at your support base.

I'll try to find a list of non-authorized sports.

No I was RegF. ROTP actually.  Hopefully I will be again soon! (Long story, not getting into it in the interest of anonymity)

Anyhow, I remember hearing in a briefing that such activities were as listed there..sky-diving, scuba etc.  Authorized sports are those you inform your ULO of and therefore the CF is aware of your participation, and unauthorized sports are sports they don't know about. 

MMA was fair game provided I informed my ULO.  The briefing stressed, among many things, documenting our sports/physical activities through the proper channels to make sure we were covered!

Some people say they have a feeling we might be getting a call today. I have had a feeling we won't be getting a call for another couple weeks. All this waiting is killer, but telling yourself it is going to come, much sooner than it probably will, is not going to help ease that anxiety. Has anybody even confirmed if the ROTP selection board has sat yet?

Last year they received their call on the 15th. My file manager did say that decisions will be made around the week of March 22nd. Assuming that is true, calls should go out this week or next, but I guess you can't always assume that what you hear is true!

My recruiter said decisions would be made at the end of March, and that we will hear them mid-April. So I think it just goes to show that any speculation is just that, speculation. Someone else said a few posts back that it is much worse expecting a call on a particular date or week and not getting one, than it is to just not expect a call during a specific timeframe to begin with.

I can't understand why they would allow MMA when boxing is not covered, the whole aspect is the amount of damage your body will absorb during training and competitions. They allow sports like Taek Won do and even Judo, but sports with a-lot of striking IE: Boxing and MMA inflicts a lot of damage. Anyways, I popped the question to my SEM because I was an avid martial artist before I joined up and was told I wouldn't be covered if I sustained an injury in boxing. I'll get back to you on what he says.

I was just looking over last years ROTP thread and noticed the first post on acceptance was on March 12th. I am not stating that this reflects anything to do with this years but it is interesting to note. I agree with pudd13 in that fixation on a date does not do any good but I do believe it is in good fun to keep the thread alive.

I'd have to disagree, I think the daily:

'THEY DIDN'T CALL ME MAYBE THEY'LL CALL TOMORROW MY RECRUITER PROMISED BY MARCH 25TH I'D KNOW HE SAID HE'D CALL ME FIRST I HAVE A FEELING IN MY GUT- CALLS ARE COMING NEXT WEEK OH NO I DON'T THINK I'LL GET IN, BUT I HEAR THEY'RE SENDING LETTERS THIS YEAR TO EVERYONE EVEN 3RD ROUND SELECTIONS MAYBE I'LL GET AN E-MAIL TONIGHT OR A PHONE CALL ON THE WEEKEND'

..is killing this thread.  The calls will come when they come.  Until then, all of our useless speculation serves no useful purpose other than to raise false hopes.

pudd13 said:
Has anybody even confirmed if the ROTP selection board has sat yet?

Well either way, I decided to go confirm it myself, instead of asking other people. I talked to a recruiter online about an hour ago, and they said that the selection board did indeed sit last week, and that the decisions will be sent out throughout April. The recruiter made no mention that they would start coming out this week. They also said that the decisions would be sent out via mail or email.

Just passing on what the recruiter said. I'm not sure if the mail/email part is exactly correct, but I am in no position to refute a recruiter.

I talked to my career counselor a couple weeks before the selection board sat, and he said to expect a call the first week of April. Because it would take some time for them to do electronic entries etc.

Okay, to add the to the confusion (sorry!) I called CFRC Toronto and was told that the selection board hasn't begun yet. So I think we should all just sit tight until April.

Ok seriously, I know how much the suspense is killing us all, but in all reality we're not going to know anything until the notifications are sent out. So there's not much point in speculating as to when, we'll know when we know. It's safe to say that when someone on here knows something they'll pass it on to the rest of us.

JRBond said:
It's safe to say that when someone on here knows something they'll pass it on to the rest of us.
I guarantee people will be (and have been) passing things on long before they know anything. The last several pages of this thread are evidence.

jwtg said:
I guarantee people will be (and have been) passing things on long before they know anything. The last several pages of this thread are evidence.

Such as:

jwtg said:
...Anyhow, I remember hearing in a briefing that such activities were as listed there..sky-diving, scuba etc.  Authorized sports are those you inform your ULO of and therefore the CF is aware of your participation, and unauthorized sports are sports they don't know about

MMA was fair game provided I informed my ULO.  The briefing stressed, among many things, documenting our sports/physical activities through the proper channels to make sure we were covered!

...ah yes, the Departmental "I remember hearing in a briefing..." reference.  You are doing no more credit to the passage of information than those whom you critique for passing (equally) unofficial information.  The start points for authorized sports are: unit-led sports/PT; PSP-led sports; and those individual sports for which you have ticked the box on your annual CF Xpres test.  There is more information in DAODs if you feel so inclined to increase the level of awareness and accuracy in presented material.

Ratchet back the sanctimonious attitude and contribute with the same degree of official/accurate information as you demand of others.

Milnet.ca Staff

Good2Golf said:
The start points for authorized sports are: unit-led sports/PT; PSP-led sports; and those individual sports for which you have ticked the box on your annual CF Xpres test.  There is more information in DAODs if you feel so inclined to increase the level of awareness and accuracy in presented material.
Thank you, for the authoritative source of information which I did ask about a few posts back, but failed to provide myself.

Ratchet back the sanctimonious attitude and contribute with the same degree of official/accurate information as you demand of others.
Guilty as charged.  I should probably practice what I preach.

MMA isn't covered by the CF, but a Military Combatives program is. The difference? You don't let people tap out in combat.

Back