• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ribbons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occam said:
I think the part in red limits the applicability of this statement.

Right; it says that it must be "issued" for the CD, not "received by Home Unit". That was my point. The tracking system can show that it is indeed issued, but not recd. Therefore, picking one up at clothing and presenting it has - technically - complied with his quoted message.

If the "issued" is by DHH, the system shows it's issue (yet not recd). If it's meaning is "issued" by the CO to the member ... --- either way: it's "issued".

Journeyman said:
We'd already agreed on "officious," "pedantic," and the fact that you're never likely to be "that CO," right?

So yes, your butt is covered; in similar circumstances you could wave the CANFORGEN and point to the CFAO saying your hands are tied. Happy?

::)

Thankfully, the original poster is doing what's right for the 42-year veteran, despite the heartache and angst this apparently causes the chair-warmers.

Pusser, feel free to have the last word, coming back with some pithy "oh.....oh ya?!"  I'm done.

Please point out where I have ever said that recognizing a veteran's 42 years of service is NOT the right thing to do.  My position all along has been that there is a way to do the right thing AND to do it right (for those who seem to insist that these concepts are mutually exclusive).  I too want to do right by the individual in question, but I also believe that there is still plenty of time to do it properly (i.e. make sure all the administrative aspects are taken care of).  That's ALL I'm saying here.  There is no need for a bandaid/backdoor solution.

On more than one occasion, I have locked horns with my superiors, to the detriment of my career (and I have the PERs to prove it) because it was the right thing to do.  I sleep very comfortably at night knowing that I have always tried to do the right thing irrespective of the personal consequences to me.  No one has the right to state or imply otherwise.

dapaterson said:
Honours, Awards and Recognition (HAR) are badly broken in the CF. 

Reflect on the raid on Dieppe: within a month and a half, LCol Merritt's VC for that action was gazetted (raid: 19 August; gazetting: 02 October).  Meanwhile, a CANFORGEN came out this week awarding CDS commendations for work in 2010.

So, highest honour for valour in the Commonwealth: 45 days.  For CDS recognition: 500+ days.  The modern CF is obscenely bureaucratic, with excess staff churn to little or no result at all levels.

Bravo! Well said!

At the rate we're going in some better go make up another ribbon with enough rosettes on it to pay homage to 52 years service, and tell the poor schmuck he has to stick around that long because the same mouthbreatehrs are also in charge of his release.

Cudos to the Jimmy CWO who started this by noting he's actually gone and had the ribbon made up for presentation before all the "i" s were dotted, thus ensuring the job gets done, and to hell with the consequences. More kudos would have been due if he'd just done that in the first place instead of moaning on the Internet no matter how entertaining this has become.  ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back