• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ribbons

Status
Not open for further replies.

caocao

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a member due for his CD 3 :eek: at the end of the month and he will probably be out of the CF (CRA) later this summer.  My question is can he wear his CD 3 ribbon based on eligibility date or does he have to wait until he is presented with it at an H&A ceremony?  The reason i am asking is because of his upcoming retirement and by the time his "official" ribbon arrives he might be out of uniform already.

Thanks

Simply being eligible does not mean the award has been made.  The Instrument conferring the award still has to be signed and won't be signed until the member has completed the time.  Your best bet is to contact the Directorate of Honours and Recognition (through your chain of command) to see what you can do to ensure the process goes as quickly and smoothly as possible.  As for the presentation itself, it doesn't have to be a big parade, the CO can do it privately (which is quicker and easier to organize).  It's up to the unit, but policy dictates it should be done with as much dignity as possible.

CD's being presented a year late has always pissed me off.  There is no excuse for it at all.  12 years notice for the CD and 10 years notice for each bar.  Seriously, this should be the slickest system in NATO.  Meanwhile, back at the ranch.....  I wait for my 3 bars for Afghanistan service, which will be at least a year late...  just for the last one.

During the rule of Comrade Jean Creeptan, all awards of CDs were 3 to 4 years off due to budget!

A lot of the administration used to be done in advance for CDs, but too many folks were p***ing in the pickles at the last minute and they had to be retracted (after Instruments being signed, medals being engraved, etc). A policy decision was made that full eligibility had to be established before the process of actually issuing the medal would begin.

fraserdw said:
During the rule of Comrade Jean Creeptan, all awards of CDs were 3 to 4 years off due to budget!

Ah that's why mine was late, and here I thought it was because..........er never mind. >:D

fraserdw said:

I received mine about a month after I was due (Mar 96), so I don't think this is totally accurate. 

fraserdw said:

I hardly think that was the case.  Despite what some think not everything is as nefarious as the rumour mill makes it out to be.  Pusser's explanation makes much more sense than a broadbrush statement like yours. 

I receive mine one week after i was due, and that was during the time where the Liberals formed government.

I am assuming the slang phrase "CD 3"  actually means the CD and two bars representing 32 years and not the CD with three bars representing 42 years.

Pusser:
Simply being eligible does not mean the award has been made.
  Yes. If the member has served the full 32 years and there has been no incident that would result in not receiving the award, then the criteria has been met but the paper work is incomplete.

caocao:
due for his CD 3 :eek: at the end of the month and he will probably be out of the CF (CRA) later this summer

Pusser:
The Instrument conferring the award still has to be signed and won't be signed until the member has completed the time.
  And who is this responsible authority who actually puts pen to paper and signs a document, or who does the administrative computer input. Not rocket science no matter who does it. Is there a system in place to ensure that action is taken to confirm the member has met the criteria and this lofty person whose job it is, does use a pen or press a key board on a timely basis.

Pusser:
Your best bet is to contact the Directorate of Honours and Recognition (through your chain of command) to see what you can do to ensure the process goes as quickly and smoothly as possible. 
Correct. And you could ask for a favor to have the box expedited. (See if there is another CWO around to confab with)

Pusser:
As for the presentation itself, it doesn't have to be a big parade, the CO can do it privately (which is quicker and easier to organize).  It's up to the unit, but policy dictates it should be done with as much dignity as possible.
I cannot believe you wrote that in reply to a CWO!

When a decoration is gazetted, the member is authorized to wear the undress ribbon. The CD and campaign awards are not gazetted. IMHO the practice is the same. Criteria met, wear the undress ribbon (the very few times anyone wears undress ribbons).

Option: See the base tailor. She will make up a ribbon and sew two rosettes on it. Someone has a CD box around. Additionally you can get the CD ribbon with two rosettes and slide in on the members medal bar (most likely the last ribbon on the bar) during or after the presentation.

We make life to difficult; we should be commonsensical.  Administrative Masturbation. We beat ourselves to death with paperwork.

Rifleman62 said:
I am assuming the slang phrase "CD 3"  actually means the CD and two bars representing 32 years and not the CD with three bars representing 42 years.

Why would you assume that ?

Someone joining at 17 and serving until CRA 60 would have 43 years of service.

Rifleman62 said:

It's not exactly slang since that is how the level of award received is expressed on the Member's Personnel Record Resume (MPRR). That adds to the confusion over how post-nominals should be written, but the post-nominal has not changed from "CD" no matter how many bars are worn.

Rifleman62 said:
Pusser:  I cannot believe you wrote that in reply to a CWO!

The audience for any reply is seldom only the original poster. Cryptic answers which assume the person doesn't need a clear response only leads to questions when someone else wants the full answer anyway.

eurowing said:
CD's being presented a year late has always pissed me off.  There is no excuse for it at all.  12 years notice for the CD and 10 years notice for each bar.  Seriously, this should be the slickest system in NATO.  Meanwhile, back at the ranch.....  I wait for my 3 bars for Afghanistan service, which will be at least a year late...  just for the last one.

SO?  After 10 years, what would have happened if you had punched out your WO?  No CD in 12.  Then why would the Government waste money on your CD.  Minting a personalized medal is a lot different than one that comes without any personalized engravings.  Heck, there are still hundreds of 125 Medals sitting in drawers of Members of Parliament that are past their expiry date......Want to be a Frontiersman?  Go for it.

George Wallace said:
Heck, there are still hundreds of 125 Medals sitting in drawers of Members of Parliament that are past their expiry date......Want to be a Frontiersman?  Go for it.

I don't think that any of your comment quoted here has to do with anything being discussed.

211RadOp said:
I received mine about a month after I was due (Mar 96), so I don't think this is totally accurate.
You're lucky, I was due in 96.  Did not see mine presented until late 97 early 98.  Had to put in my own paperwork to get my first GCS, after I came home. 

The system is only as good as the Admin staff who are part of the process.  Yours apparently were on the ball, others apparently could not find theirs with both hands, instructions a mirror and flashlight.  I do object to medals sitting in a OR file cabinet  for an unspecified period of time so that it suits the presenter's timings for a big dog and pony show.  Awards should be decided upon, ordered and presented in a timely fashion.  It's 8 months and counting since I earned the OSM, bet that will take some time coming too.

CDN Aviator said:
I don't think that any of your comment quoted here has to do with anything being discussed.

Yeah, like threads haven't been totally derailed by some others in this thread before, right? ;)

recceguy said:
Yeah, like threads haven't been totally derailed by some others in this thread before, right? ;)

Whatever.

Eurowing's comment had nothing to do with "medal-seeking" and George's comment was nothing but trolling.

Cdn Aviator:
Someone joining at 17 and serving until CRA 60 would have 43 years of service.

Or getting in underage, and serving 45 years.

jollyjacktar said:
You're lucky, I was due in 96.  Did not see mine presented until late 97 early 98.  Had to put in my own paperwork to get my first GCS, after I came home. 

The system is only as good as the Admin staff who are part of the process.  Yours apparently were on the ball, others apparently could not find theirs with both hands, instructions a mirror and flashlight.  I do object to medals sitting in a OR file cabinet  for an unspecified period of time so that it suits the presenter's timings for a big dog and pony show.  Awards should be decided upon, ordered and presented in a timely fashion.  It's 8 months and counting since I earned the OSM, bet that will take some time coming too.

Thats what I was on about due in 97 and did not see it til 99.  In 96 we were told in the CO's O Grp that there was a hold on CD's due to budget constraints.

That may have been the period there was quality control problems with the supplier. Happened in the late eighties also. The bars to the CD, the raised bar on the base, were crooked at one point.

There are ways to recognize service people on a timely basis, even if not all the "t" are dotted and the "i" crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back