• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I know for sure I can get atleast a 90% in Math 30-2. I'm just afraid that I might be to late, or that the 30-2 class is not eligible for the program.

For both sons currently at RMC (one in first and one in fourth year)... they asked for mid-term (january) report card. They have to know that you are taking the required courses for what you have indicated as your choice for RMC.  Also will take these marks into consideration, particularly those that sere finished in the first semester.  As I have indicated before they were (and probably still are) looking at  marks from grade 10 on. Looking not only for good scholastic results but also consistency in performance. Average used is from grade 10 we were told and actually given the percentage that they were using.  I doubt that this has changed  from last year and four years ago.

Greatly appreciated, but since I had not provided them with my midterm marks, will they be required to contact my school or myself for my updated transcripts. They have already seen my course load for next semester and that I will have all of the prerequisites by the time I graduate high school.

Thanks again!

If you think you can get a 90 in Math 30-2 then go for it. People have told me that they look at your most recent completed marks. For instance if you were to get a 90 next semester then they would think that you are capable and competitive enough to attend RMC. I would think that it would be more so if you achieved a good mark in math before 30-1.

For us, we had to supply. They are very busy and with privacy issues etc will want you to get I am sure.  Oh yes... and get the school to put their official seal on it if you can. They want official transcripts as I am sure you can appreciate.

Hi all,

I am a Grade 11 student in Alberta. Just recently, I decided to make the acquisition of an education at RMC and an officer's commission in the Combat Arms my goal and passion. I plan to carry this forward immediately after finishing Grade 12. Below, I've organised my applicable skills and qualifications according to the four pillars of cadet life at RMC. Please advise me on my potential level of competence in the recruiting process.

Leadership
  • A fairly active volunteer in the community, having done work around schools, local parks, homeless shelters, heritage fairs and other events and places. This is shown in several certificates, reference letters and letters of appreciation. The most concrete documentation testifies to 15 volunteer hours with the Youth Volunteer Corps.
  • As a requirement of my current academic programme at school, 75 volunteer hours will be completed by the time I graduate from Grade 12.
  • Achieved the bronze level of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award for service, skill development, upkeep of physical fitness and the undertaking of an adventurous journey.
Academics
  • Taking English, Math and Physics within the International Baccalaureate programme - an intense, almost university-like collection of courses.
  • All marks from Grade 10 to the present are in the 80-100% range.
  • Received annual honour roll and math contest certificates from Grade 5 to Grade 10.
Athletics
  • Can achieve the minimum standard of the Expres test with relative ease, and will continue working on my shape.
  • A dancer with an 11-year carrier, decorated with 75 medals, 7 trophies and a scholarship. I can almost hear some of you sniggering, but dance engages the core and legs very well, also improving one's stamina. The interactions with surrounding people are valuable as well.
  • Took multiple swimming courses, passing all with flying colours.
Bilingualism
  • Fluent in English and Russian, dabbling in French in accordance with the low standard of Anglophone schools in western Canada.
Miscellaneous Questions
  • There is a possibility of my grades falling several percent as the IB programme intensifies. If this happens, will the recruiters still take into account the level of academics that I'm taking?
  • My last name has proven to be difficult to pronounce for most Canadians. Will this be a problem in the Forces, considering that most occasions and forms of address incorporate the surname and not the proper name? Is there a work-around to the problem?

All responses are appreciated. I will continue perusing the forums for more information.

Alright.

It looks' strong- I can understand the lack of specificity of what you have shown in the forum so far; being in grade 11.

What makes you competitive, in my opinion, are as follows:

-Duke of Edinburgh award.
-international baccalaureate programs...
-Russian fluency

...your last name I doubt will be of any problem being accepted in applying to RMC- although being Russian... Just kidding buddy, the safest way to take a hold of anybody's opinion would that be of a recruiter, so schedule an appointment at the nearest recruiting centre in your town. It's good that you're in grade 11, you've got lots of time but don't take advantage of the time and procrastinate; we all have this problem, a very bad habit :(

I thought we all went over this already, there's a lot of candidates, and we don't know if you are competitive or not unless we know what other applicants are like.

None of us are qualified to tell you if you are a strong candidate or not. So keep up what you are doing, and maybe even explore other hobbies and stuff as well. As long as you excel at something, it will stand out to them.

Good luck

Apply and find out. No one here can tell you one way or the other - or which way the wind will be blowing the day they choose entrants for your year.

Seriously.

Dhenyss said:
My last name has proven to be difficult to pronounce for most Canadians. Will this be a problem in the Forces, considering that most occasions and forms of address incorporate the surname and not the proper name? Is there a work-around to the problem?

Your name will be hacked and slashed verbally until you will respond to anything resembling the first or last syllable.  If you think "most" Canadians will have a problem pronouncing it, imagine what the French guy from Chicoutimi or a Newfie from the 'Bay will do to it.  :nod:

Short of legally changing your name, which is ridiculous, get used to something like your first letter and the number of letters in your name.  Like M12.

Personally my advice to you would be most importantly keeping your average above 85% in order to keep yourself competitive. As it seems to me they take academics more into consideration than anything else. As for leadership you should try your best to get a job and volunteer as much as you possibly can. With that said try to find a job or volunteer position within the military to increase your military experience as it can truly help you when taking your interview as they will ask you several questions based on what you know and what you expect in your chosen trades. Another suggestion for leadership which also ties in with academics is to tutor. For athletics I would try to incorporate more sports or more activities. The recruiters suggested to me to add anything I could possibly think of for athletics even if it is as small as going for a walk everyday. Finally for bilingualism you should try to become as fluent as you can in French. If I were you I'd go visit the recruiting center and ask any questions you may have as all I can tell you is about my very limited experience.

blcbandit, I appreciate the detailed answer, it's very helpful.

I see the advice is pretty much unanimous - keep the grades up, get involved in the community as much as possible, talk to the local recruiters and hope to impress them when the time comes. Thanks all, I'll do just that.

...I can understand the lack of specificity of what you have shown in the forum so far...

What are you referring to? My participation in the forums, my knowledge of the topic, my profile description?

Your name will be hacked and slashed verbally until you will respond to anything resembling the first or last syllable.  If you think "most" Canadians will have a problem pronouncing it, imagine what the French guy from Chicoutimi or a Newfie from the 'Bay will do to it. 

Short of legally changing your name, which is ridiculous, get used to something like your first letter and the number of letters in your name.  Like M12.

;D Sounds fun. My last name is only one syllable long, and even that has wrecked many a tongue in the past years. Have you seen this happen in the military?

The trades you apply for also have a great bearing on whether or not you get accepted into the military. Say your application is third on the merit list out of everybody applying for ROTP, but you only apply for one trade, and that trade only has one opening this year, then if one of the two people ahead of you apply for that trade, you will not be accepted, no matter how competitive you are in regards to everybody else who applied.

Simon

I see. Similarly, I've read elsewhere in the forums that filling out all three trade choices on the application provides a better chance of employment, given a list of other variables.

DO apply to trades you actually see yourself and want to serve in.

DO NOT apply to 3 trades simply to get in.

As for you competitiveness level, it cannot be determined.
I can say that you're a good looking candidate in my opinion, but that's just my opinion.

Your level of competitiveness all depends on the other candidates applying.

So, as mentioned above, talk to a recruiter.

Good luck!

I would suggest that as soon as you have your current marks and transcripts that you take them into your recruiting office so they can be put into your folder.  Do not assume they will be contacting your school, or you for that matter, in order to obtain them.  I would assume they have more to do than track down marks for hundreds of applications. Take charge and provide them with the marks yourself.

Yeah, but I think that they would take Math 30-1 over 30-2 any day, because it's a higher program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back