• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
mariomike said:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/cfp-pfc-154/AN-E-eng.asp

V - Visual Acuity
CV - Colour Vision

Mariomike,

I have a question, I have a minor Colour Vision Deficiency. However all three trades I am applying to are CV3, does it still technically "disadvantage" me compared to those who are not?

I would think that it does not. Especially considering almost 8% of males  have the CVD I have.

Yeah, but out of those 8%, how many are applying to the military? Personally I hope that it does not disadvantage you, as that means it will disadvantage me as well. As I have extremely bad vision, listed as a V4 with 20/400 or 6/120 eyesight.

blcbandit1011 said:
Yeah, but out of those 8%, how many are applying to the military? Personally I hope that it does not disadvantage you, as that means it will disadvantage me as well. As I have extremely bad vision, listed as a V4 with 20/400 or 6/120 eyesight.

Well considering I found out my colour deficiency last year while applying to the Forces, I am assuming there is quite a few like me, considering almost 1-10 of the male population has a form of colour deficiency... a positive is considering I have 20/15 vision... but you are right, it might disadvantage me, when I go in for this years medical I will surely ask.

Hello all,

Just wanted to wish everyone who has exams right now the best of luck, and hope that the new year brings a lot of good things to you.  :)

Cui said:
Hello all,

Just wanted to wish everyone who has exams right now the best of luck, and hope that the new year brings a lot of good things to you.  :)

Thanks Cui! 3 down, 2 to go.

Cui said:
Hello all,

Thanks for the support! Life is hard right now! hehe

I am going to be a high school graduate in 2014 and carefully built my resume to make it as attractive as possible like grades, volunteering, team sports, physical test prep, cfat prep, work expeirences etc etc. Planning to apply in Dec 2013.

My concern is,

a)  Since I am going up against people with university degrees and prior military experience, would high school grads be at a disdvantage than others?
b) Would I competing with fellow high school grads to get into RMC only or would have to compete with everyone?

This application is not for a university degree, it is for a career.

Thus, you will compete against everyone.

However, having a previous university degree does not entail one has ANY advantage over you whatsoever since if their degree was pertinent to such an advantage, they would be using the DEO program.

The best thing you can do is better yourself. It's mostly a blind competition.

Don't compare yourself to others, compare yourself to your past self and keep making the new you better!

jlivingston said:
I am going to be a high school graduate in 2014 and carefully built my resume to make it as attractive as possible like grades, volunteering, team sports, physical test prep, cfat prep, work expeirences etc etc. Planning to apply in Dec 2013.

My concern is,

a)  Since I am going up against people with university degrees and prior military experience, would high school grads be at a disdvantage than others?
b) Would I competing with fellow high school grads to get into RMC only or would have to compete with everyone?
The majority of applicants to the ROTP/RMC will be high school graduates.  That being said, a significant number of those people will have already completed one or more years of university at a Civ U before switching into RMC, and many others will have previous work experience, both Civi side and CF (usually in the reserves).

I'm not sure how the competition rolls out, and whether or not you're competing against CTs- for all I know, there's a target for civi-side recruits as well as CT's.  I'm not sure.

You will, however, be competing with people who will have more life experience than you.  That being said, there are still plenty of people every year who come into RMC having just completed high school, as that is the most natural academic progression.

Good luck.

Thank you to both Jwtg and Alex Landry.

I am trying to get as many clarification as possible from this forum before visiting the recruitment officer.

If you're graduating June 2014, and hoping to enter RMC/ROTP for September 2014, I strongly recommend applying before December 2013.  When I applied for RMC, they wanted applications in by October.  That left plenty of time for interviews, medicals, and testing (especially if you want to go pilot and need to be sent to aircrew selection).

jwtg said:
If you're graduating June 2014, and hoping to enter RMC/ROTP for September 2014, I strongly recommend applying before December 2013.  When I applied for RMC, they wanted applications in by October.  That left plenty of time for interviews, medicals, and testing (especially if you want to go pilot and need to be sent to aircrew selection).
Thx again. My timeline is to apply by end of Oct 2013 as by then I would have completed minimum academic academic requirements and be in a position to submit my interim transcripts.

I have no desire to be a pilot nor my visuals qualify for them. I plan to take space science or double major in math and computer science. I am not clear what are the career options for them. My passion is in astronomy and geology. Also very very comfy in math and computer science. Do you have any input on these choices?

What's most important for you is to get on to forces.ca and 'Browse Jobs.'  Find a job which appeals to you because, if you get in, it may end up being your job for quite a while.  Once have you determined a job you like, pick a degree program which is preferred/suitable for that trade, and (hopefully) which you will enjoy.

jwtg said:
What's most important for you is to get on to forces.ca and 'Browse Jobs.'  Find a job which appeals to you because, if you get in, it may end up being your job for quite a while.  Once have you determined a job you like, pick a degree program which is preferred/suitable for that trade, and (hopefully) which you will enjoy.

Good lead.

Im currently waiting for my citizenship status, but after I become a Canadian- Im going straight to RMC; at-least if I get accepted...

Here it is:

Academics
-Im a 65% average student; from courses such as Pre-Calc, Bio30, Socials30, English301, Phys. Ed.

Leadership
-I was a member of student council back in grade 9, grad council as communication rep, started a philosophy club in my school, Football; as a rusher- in-charge of defensive stratagem. Was a cashier supervisor at Extrafoods, been involved in several theatrical plays as a leading character...

Bilingualism
-I can speak 2 other languages, planing to learn Canadian french and Hebrew

Athletics
-Track and Field territorial championship; 100m 4th place, 1500m 2nd place, and 200m 2nd place.
-I've also been involved in a bunch of extra-curricular activities; after school, soccer, volleyball etc...

So Athletically speaking I'm good, I'm academically average; though I understand it is a great disadvantage in my resume right now...

Extra
-I was a participant of a forum back in 2010; got a congratulate letter from the PM. The program was basically about educating young Canadians on how Canada governs itself.
-etc...

ANY TIPS ON IMPROVING MY COMPETENCY FOR RMC? K thanks ;D

Sounds like your work experience/teamwork/leadership experience is on par, if not better, than quite a few of the people that get accepted to RMC every year.  As you mentioned, your academics are very much on the low end. 

To be honest, I got in with an 80.0 high school average and 82.0 average in my first year of university (civilian school) before coming to RMC, and my high school marks were considered to be slightly below the competitive level.  It varies year to year based on the strength of the competition, but you will need to pull up those high school marks.

If I'm the interviewing officer, or RMC admissions staff, I'm going to be asking myself how, if you're getting 65 in school, are you going to be able to keep up academically at RMC, when so much more will be demanded of you?

They say students typically drop about 15% in their first year at RMC.  That puts you in hot water.

Your biggest focus right now should be doing homework, acing tests and doing quality assignments to bring those marks up.  It will require hard work, focus, and a bit of a sacrifice on the part of your social life- get used to that, that's part of life at RMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back