• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
With my CFAT not until Jan 8 and the medical and interview to follow am I going to run into any deadline issues?

The only people who can give you a definitive 'yes' or 'no' are the recruiting staff, who would be familiar with how quickly those things might be processed, and what this year's timelines are.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say you'll be very, very close to the deadline.  During my application, I went in to the recruiting center in November, thinking I was way early, because most universities don't need applications until January.  They gave me hell for not showing up in September/October in order to satisfy all the deadlines.

I hope you're not applying for aircrew! In that case, you'll need all kinds of further testing and could be S.O.L.  Also, if there are any problems in your medical, you may not have enough time to resolve them.

Good luck, hope everything goes smoothly.

By this point last year I had already been contacted, and had literally all my testing scheduled.. I hope I am not forgotten ;)

I think the slight change in how things are done (everything online) may play a role.

(Edit; grammar)

From my experience, I had all the paperwork in 6 Jan, did my CFAT in March and was still eligible. Get your paper work in before the deadline, and everything else (CFAT, drug questionnaire, etc) will be coordinated by the CFRC (assuming your paperwork is squared away) and be done in time for your file to be in consideration with everyone else.

Deadline is 16 Jan. Submit you application before then and unless there are some unforeseen circumstances you should be able to get everything competed. No doubt, sooner is better because you'll have time to deal with any curve-balls that might come your way.

http://forces.ca/en/page/paideducation-96#paiduniversity-1

arezaie said:
Hi I was wondering, I finished high school with a 93% average and got accepted into the University of Western Ontario with an Advanced Entry Opportunity at the Richard Ivey School of Business. I did fine first year at university and ended with an 81%. Second year, my parents got split up, had quite a toll on me, and my average dropped to about a 75%. I'm doing well now and hopefully can pull up in the years to come, but my dream was to attend RMC and from what I've heard it is not likely that they will transfer me. I am also a varsity Fencer at the University of Western Ontario and a Vice-President of marketing for a club with around 100 members. I was wondering how competitive I was to apply for the pilot position, because I am thinking about putting all 3 of my choices as pilot, but at the same time I am worried I wouldn't be competitive enough to even get accepted to ROTP under the pilot trade. Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Sallar

Hi,

Don't worry with the fact that your average had dropped. I got in the same issue as you, very good average at high school then my parents got split up and my mark incredibly dropped and got a couple of failed course. What I suggest to you is at your interview be very honest and explain that to the officer and if they note that you seems to be honest and a good learner you will get a chance. I was selected for Pilot last year and if I show you my average after high school you probably dont believe me.

Good luck

I have heard through 3 separate sources that once you graduate RMC, if you are applying to a graduate school, that RMC adds on an additional 10% to your overall average. The logic, apparently, behind this addition is that had RMC students had to just take classes like a regular civilian, they would've done 10% better academically.
  Can anyone confirm or contradict this? My sources are an Officer Cadet, a Captain, and a recruiter.

Thank you.

Sorry to hear about your parents too, glad to hear that you're doing well.
One thing that has me worried is, I wear glasses but have been approved of getting laser eye surgery to qualify the requirements for a Pilot trade in the
Air Force, but I am wondering, should I have already done my eye surgery before I get into RMC or can I do that later on?

In order to get an answer to your question, you'd have to poll every graduate school and ask them if they tack on 10% to an RMC grad's average.  My guess, is no, they don't all add 10% to your average, but that many schools probably look favorably on RMC grads because of the amount of training and leadership experience they gain while studying, as well as the factor you mentioned: balancing studies with duties and all the required extra-curriculars and things that come with going to a military college.

arezaie said:
Sorry to hear about your parents too, glad to hear that you're doing well.
One thing that has me worried is, I wear glasses but have been approved of getting laser eye surgery to qualify the requirements for a Pilot trade in the
Air Force, but I am wondering, should I have already done my eye surgery before I get into RMC or can I do that later on?

Talk to the medical staff ASAP. I had lasik done a few months back, I know for certain their are time-limits and restrictions put in place (medical safely), for all trades.

*** EDIT ***: I believe for the most part it is a form that needs to be filled out, however I think there may be more to it "pilot".

Like I said before, talk to the medical staff, call your CFRC, and ask to speak to a medical officer, and they will know.

Cheers

Talk over that with your recruiting staff.  From what I understand, laser eye surgery means you start at square 1 and have to redo all your vision tests, and I'm not sure what timeline is required for that.

jwtg said:
Talk over that with your recruiting staff.  From what I understand, laser eye surgery means you start at square 1 and have to redo all your vision tests, and I'm not sure what timeline is required for that.

To add to that as well, if it truly is just as simple as doing all your vision test at once that is not truly all bad. For instance at the CFRC they will do all those test there, I am colour deficient so last year they had me go to my optometrist to simply certify I am colour deficient. I found it odd especially regarding; all the MOCs I applied to where CV3!

- Mike 

jwtg said:
.... you'd have to poll every graduate school and ask them if they tack on 10% to an RMC grad's average.
I believe that he/she/it is saying that RMC takes the individual's transcript and just adds on an additional 10% to the overall average.

Notwithstanding it looking odd to any grad school with the capability to add up a student's marks, it seems a tad unethical...

...yes, even in a CF where MilCol grads believe that they're significant percentage points better than mere mortal officers.  >:D

Having graduated from RMC and having kept the a set of transcripts they gave me in case I ever wanted to apply for post-grad, I can guarantee you that this is certainly not the case. 

They are indeed two different degrees and you may receive a degree in Politics or Economics.  If you are really feeling like being a keener you can do a double major  ;D

EdiT:  I originally said different departments, I meant degrees.  As Journeyman said, the departments are combined.

Hello,I am currently in grade 10 and  have recently taken interest in RMC . I am a highly academic student and receive 85+ in most of my subjects except math i am taking applied.I am mainly interested in the Bachelor Of Arts degree.

Does taking applied greatly reduce my chances of getting in, also it says calculus is greatly recommended  on the website for Bachelor of Arts,why would this be?
I am in very good physical shape right now too.
I appreciate any answers,thank you .  :)

Well, the way my high school worked is that if you took applied-level classes, you were restricted to taking college level courses in grade 11 and grade 12. Similarly, if you took academic-level classes, you could take either college or university-level courses. The requirements for entrance into RMC are grade 12 university level courses. Not college-level. So do whatever you need to do to get those grade 11 and grade 12 university level courses. It would be best to do it right away, as they look at your grades from your whole high school career.

Feel free to correct me, but I believe calculus is greatly recommended is because no matter what programme you are in at RMC, in your first year you WILL be taking calculus. It doesn't matter if you are Arts, Science, or Engineering. Everyone here takes calculus.

Also, it doesn't hurt to have a few math courses under your belt when you finish high school. It gets the brain going in my opinion.

To add my own two cents, take the math when you have the chance.

I took applied math in grade 12 (math is not my forte by a long shot) and it really did limit options for me down the road. I go to Civi U under ROTP, but not having a solid grasp of more advanced math has come back to bite me in the ass.

You do take calculus in first year at RMC, and at most other Universities. I didn't, but if I had, I would have been up a creek without a canoe. Take it when you have the chance. If you don't use it, so be it, but at least you have it. Better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

Allow me to barge in for a minute. If you were to go in as an artsman, you'd be required to complete two program prerequisite math courses. One calculus course and one discreet probability course. Now of course, that is if you're competent enough in basic calculus because you will be evaluated in your first days to determine if you need to take a college level pre calc course. (The business admin program has slightly different prereqs but I'm not familiar with them)

In my opinion (as an RMC artsman), the math courses are pretty easy and the type of support and environment you get make it very hard for you to fail them (unless you're like me and you spend the first semester of your second year binge drinking your salary away).

Takin university level courses beforehand will of course be beneficial but it won't be something you woN't be able to live without. Macro and Micro economics tend to be the big killer for first year students so think about that.

Overall, if you're a fairly hard worker, good at managing your time and if you possess some modicum of work ethics, you'll probably do fine. RMC is, after all supposed to give you the necessary tools to succeed to don't be afraid not to have everything covered should you be accepted.

I'll now go back to writing these essays I've been procrastinating on for the past hour,

Peace out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back