• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Journeyman said:
The degrees are two separate programs.

The Department is combined Politics and Economics, primarily to realize financial benefits such as sharing otherwise non-optimally employed administrative staff (eg: not sure of the numbers, but say a Politics Dept would require two clerks and Economics Dept would require two clerks, but amalgamated, Politics and Economics can operate using three clerks).

Bang on, RMC is a small institution, the undergrad student body doesn't go above a thousand so you can imagine that the arts deps are pretty small. Separate econ and politics departments are simply not warranted at this point.

I'm not sure what CFRC you're applying out of, but when I applied a few years ago out of CFRC Ottawa, only the basic vision test could be done at the RC. 
For Aircrew, we all had to go to civilian doctors for a series of advanced vision testing.

This poster wants to be a pilot, so he'll be going through all the vision testing.

Thank you for all of the answers!
My school Is semestered so I take only 4 classes at a time,I have not taken math yet so I can still switch to academic math for grade 10 :)

jwtg said:
I'm not sure what CFRC you're applying out of, but when I applied a few years ago out of CFRC Ottawa, only the basic vision test could be done at the RC. 
For Aircrew, we all had to go to civilian doctors for a series of advanced vision testing.

This poster wants to be a pilot, so he'll be going through all the vision testing.

Hmmm in all honesty, I know my CFRC did vision testing, and they gave me forms to identify the severity of my colour deficiency... I am not applying for any air crew positions, only combat arm trades..

Anyways to update, recruiter told me to call him about my application I am assuming my RMC stuff has been reviewed.

canada94 said:
Hmmm in all honesty, I know my CFRC did vision testing, and they gave me forms to identify the severity of my colour deficiency... I am not applying for any air crew positions, only combat arm trades..

Anyways to update, recruiter told me to call him about my application I am assuming my RMC stuff has been reviewed.
I was referring to the poster who asked the initial question about laser eye surgery.  Believe me, the aircrew vision testing is far more extensive than any testing you had to do.

Thanks for your help!
However what do you think about my application manager telling me that my midterm marks are unnecessary?
Did you hand in yours, and even if she did say this should I hand them in anyways if it were to make my application even more competitive?
Thanks again

jwtg said:
I was referring to the poster who asked the initial question about laser eye surgery.  Believe me, the aircrew vision testing is far more extensive than any testing you had to do.

Glad I am not him ;)

But all jokes aside, I hope everything for him works out!

I finally have my aptitude tomorrow, and they're also going to try to squeeze in my medical if time permits.
Persistence is definitely key.

Good luck to all!

Recruiter called, and I have to send in 2 documents, and I found out I will not need to redo my CFAT :)

That made my day :D

My ROTP road has been a long one.
I first applied for ROTP for the 2010-2011 year - and didn't make it in due to the large numbers of people who applied, and also due to the fact I was going to be a high school graduate going up against people with university degrees and prior military experience.
I went to apply again in 2011-2012 - but my military career councilor called me up once he received my application, and informed me that he could process it and I could expect the same results as last year due to the once-again large influx of applications - or he recommended that I join my local Reserves to get some experience.
So that's what I did. As much as I was fixed on navy (my father was in the navy and I heard all about it when I was a little girl) - however my closest recruiting center was army. So I thought what the hell, and joined. I'm a private now, with my BMQ and BMQ-L behind me.
In September I completed a component transfer application, a big switch really, army to navy, noncom to officer, reserve to reg. I mentioned it to a couple guys in my unit and all I heard was negative things - that component transfers can take up to 2 years for some people.
However, I heard back just two weeks ago! I sent in my application and academic transcripts and recently heard back that I've been approved as a potential candidate for ROTP - civilian university. (I'm currently in my 2nd year of uni, taking a BA in Arts)
The trade I'm going for is MARS Officer, second choice would be Logistics. I'm waiting on an interview - and things look hopeful that I'll know whether or not I've made it by early 2013. I'm actually so excited! I hope to FINALLY make it through!

Well I called medical at CFRC Toronto, no one answered the phone so I left a message and now it's just a waiting game for me. My question I want to ask them when they call is - from all the Canadian Forces web information I have picked at, I have noticed that everywhere I look they keep mentioning that pilots can have up to 20/60 uncorrected vision and 20/20 corrected vision. I have perfect 20/20 vision with glasses or contacts on, and I have read many posts talking about pilots permitted with glasses or (keyword *or*) laser eye surgery. Now the only thing stopping me from applying for pilot this year was that I wouldn't meet the 6 month waiting period after getting laser eye surgery for this years application deadline, but in this case if I am allowed to have 20/20 corrected vision with glasses or contacts then I am good to go. Can anyone validate this information in regards to 20/20 corrected with glasses or contacts - and not just for laser eye surgery? Can I be 20/20 with glasses or contacts and not get laser eye surgery applying to be a pilot?
By the way, Thanks for the help so far everyone!

I wonder if there's a difference between a CF pilot having glasses, and a recruit who wants to be a CF pilot having glasses?

I went through a very extensive aircrew vision test (ACSO) and based on the information made available to me during my selection process, having glasses was not an option.  The only way you'll get a perfect answer on this, though, is if you hear (either here or by calling CFRC) from someone who works in recruiting or medical!

arezaie said:
Well I called medical at CFRC Toronto, no one answered the phone so I left a message and now it's just a waiting game for me. My question I want to ask them when they call is - from all the Canadian Forces web information I have picked at, I have noticed that everywhere I look they keep mentioning that pilots can have up to 20/60 uncorrected vision and 20/20 corrected vision. I have perfect 20/20 vision with glasses or contacts on, and I have read many posts talking about pilots permitted with glasses or (keyword *or*) laser eye surgery. Now the only thing stopping me from applying for pilot this year was that I wouldn't meet the 6 month waiting period after getting laser eye surgery for this years application deadline, but in this case if I am allowed to have 20/20 corrected vision with glasses or contacts then I am good to go. Can anyone validate this information in regards to 20/20 corrected with glasses or contacts - and not just for laser eye surgery? Can I be 20/20 with glasses or contacts and not get laser eye surgery applying to be a pilot?
By the way, Thanks for the help so far everyone!

Do you have 20/60 vision when you're not wearing your glasses? That's the answer to your question. If you're worse than 20/60 without your glasses you don't meet the broad vision standard. The more specific requirements are available online somewhere (refraction numbers per eye and so on). I know the "20/20 corrected vision" thing confuses people because you probably do correct to 20/20 with glasses or contacts, but some others don't for a variety of reasons which is why they make the statement.

Laser surgery doesn't mean "corrected to 20/20," after surgery you are 20/20 (or better - or worse). They're referring to glasses.

Vision standards for trained pilots are very different than those for new entry pilots.

I apologize for any grammar mistakes made. First time posting. I figured I may as well put my info up as well.
Applying for Nursing Officer. I just got a call yesterday that my background and reference checks were cleared so I will be going in for my cfat, medical and interview next Thursday. I'm a little bit nervous, mostly for the cfat. I have been out of school for two years now. I was always a mid to high 80's student but now I find Im having trouble remembering how to do simple math. I'm hoping a solid week of studying will be enough?

arezaie said:
So if I am 20/60 without my glasses, and 20/20 with my glasses I'll be fine?

You would be good to proceed to the actual eye testing, yes. 20/60 is a broad guideline, you have to meet the actual published refraction standards (i.e. diopter stuff). That can vary pretty wildly even in people with the same 20/[whatever] measurement.

C.Anne said:
I apologize for any grammar mistakes made. First time posting. I figured I may as well put my info up as well.
Applying for Nursing Officer. I just got a call yesterday that my background and reference checks were cleared so I will be going in for my cfat, medical and interview next Thursday. I'm a little bit nervous, mostly for the cfat. I have been out of school for two years now. I was always a mid to high 80's student but now I find Im having trouble remembering how to do simple math. I'm hoping a solid week of studying will be enough?

as long as you can do add, subtract, multiply, and do long divisions, you should be fine.

Does anyone know if the vision restrictions are less for Air Combat Systems Officer than Pilot? And if so, by how much?

arezaie said:
Does anyone know if the vision restrictions are less for Air Combat Systems Officer than Pilot? And if so, by how much?

Minimum Medical Standards for Officers/Non-Commissioned
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/cfp-pfc-154/AN-E-eng.asp

V - Visual Acuity
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/CFP-PFC-154/AN-A-eng.asp

CV - Colour Vision
http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/CFP-PFC-154/AN-B-eng.asp

Ok, thanks Cui!
I wasn't sure if I should be studying anything more complicated but I'm glad that's all it is.  :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back