• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check your attitude at the door.  Saying that to seasoned veterans will not get you very far.

Go to a recruiting centre for an hour and speak to a recruiter, it seems to me you know very little about the process and that is the place to learn if you havn't figured out the process on your own.

Mincading said:
Also, thanks for being the ass you can be.
Seriously? You've been walked, step by step, through all of your readily-searchable questions and you dump on the guy who's given you the most comprehensive response. 

Thank you for reaffirming my dislike of the Recruiting threads.    :not-again:

Rogo said:
Check your attitude at the door.  Saying that to seasoned veterans will not get you very far.

Go to a recruiting centre for an hour and speak to a recruiter, it seems to me you know very little about the process and that is the place to learn if you havn't figured out the process on your own.

WiLl do. I just felt really offended. I apologize.

Journeyman said:
Seriously? You've been walked, step by step, through all of your readily-searchable questions and you dump on the guy who's given you the most comprehensive response. 

Thank you for reaffirming my dislike of the Recruiting threads.    :not-again:

I don't think he walked me through it. Others have though, but I want to thank everyone for contributing

Mincading said:
WiLl do. I just felt really offended. I apologize.

I don't think he walked me through it. Others have though, but I want to thank everyone for contributing

Offense was not my intent, and I make no apology if it resulted. I speak bluntly, because that's the most consistently effective approach to the reams of people with big dreams who show up on this site. If an experienced NCO speaking bluntly to you offends you, you'd best work on that because it's going to feature prominently for some time if you get in.

If you do demonstrate that you actually have what it takes to stick it out and make a good officer, then some years from now you'll understand what I said, why and how. Neither of us need be fussed about it in the interim.

All the best to you, and good luck.

Brihard said:
Offense was not my intent, and I make no apology if it resulted. I speak bluntly, because that's the most consistently effective approach to the reams of people with big dreams who show up on this site. If an experienced NCO speaking bluntly to you offends you, you'd best work on that because it's going to feature prominently for some time if you get in.

If you do demonstrate that you actually have what it takes to stick it out and make a good officer, then some years from now you'll understand what I said, why and how. Neither of us need be fussed about it in the interim.

All the best to you, and good luck.

Thanks for your warning and encouragement. I greatly appreciate it :)

I just got back from CRFC. For my CRFC, it's the first day of applying online and I was the first to do it so they supervised me because it was the first time for us too haha :p.
Personnaly applying online seems to be good but I prefer the old ways with paperwork. We'll see what happens.

Nick

Hello,

I am currently a Grade 11 student, and I am planning on going to RMC right after graduating from high school. I have a few questions about acceptance into RMC.

First, I would like to know if I will be fine academically. (I'm hoping to get into the Engineering program there). Currently, I am getting over 90% in Law, Social Studies, Band, 87% in French, and about 88% in English. If I keep these grades up, will I be fine grade-wise?

Second, how many sporting achievements do I need? Honestly, I don't have any right now. I am planning on joining the Track team at school this year and next year. I am fairly fit, but not spectacular. I used to swim, and I have my qualification for First Aid. But I have no awards or medals or anything like that. What else will I need? I've been accepted to a police leadership camp once and have good references from there. Would that help me at all?

Third, how involved should I be in the community? I will start volunteering at the Salvation Army and the Mustard Seed soon. Hopefully, I'll get a job as well. Will that help me?

Also, how much will cadets help me? I have been in cadets for about 2 years and 8 months. I am currently a Master Corporal, and I will soon be promoted to Sergeant. By the time I apply for RMC, I should have at least 3 years and a few months of being in cadets under my belt, and I should be a warrant officer by then. Also, I play bagpipes (level 2, hopefully I'll advance to Level 4 by the time I apply  :-\ ), I play flute, and have an Excellence fitness level, and will be training with the Parachutist candidates every week (I won't be doing Para, but I will be able to train with them). I am also in the Drill Team.

One other important question. How do I show that I have leadership/commitment/dedication? I have almost no big awards, so I feel like I have nothing to show. How do I show that I have leadership skills? Fitness? How do I make myself stand out? I feel stuck and I'm not sure if I will make it in, answers would make it much easier for me to fill up my application.

If anyone with knowledge of this topic could answer these questions, that would be great.
Thank you.

You will never know if you'll make it in unless you apply :) You sound like a fairly well rounded guy. Cadets is all about leadership, so ask your officers for some more leadership based roles. Get as involved with volunteering in your community as you can. ROTP is incredibly competitive, and for engineering you will have to have excellent marks in math and physical sciences such as physics and chemistry. I am not in the forces, but am going through my second application through ROTP. Good luck!

Do really well in school.

Find yourself as many leadership and teamwork opportunities as possible.

Stay away from drugs or legal trouble.

Learn everything you can about the trades you are interested in.

Work really hard on everything you write/turn in as part of your application.

Practice interview techniques, and get as familiar as you can with the CF interview.  Somewhere on the internet there is a pretty good preparation guide.  If I happen to see it, I'll post a link.

Other than that, your post says pretty much "I'm really good at x and y, not sure how to improve z, what are my chances of getting in and how do I make them better?"  If you take some time to look around, you'll find that your post is nearly identical to 42523956495813115 other ones on this site where people are trying to get a feel for their odds of success in the selection process. 
Nobody here can tell you what the odds are without having access to every bit of information regarding every applicant for ROTP this year.  You'll be given a numerical score based on the quality of your application package, which includes tests/interviews/etc., and if that score is higher, your odds are better.  If everyone else's scores are higher than yours, then your odds are pretty bad.

It's all relative.  The spots go to the top scorers.

Good luck.

And before somebody rags on you for using a rank that you have not attained as your user name here, I shall gently suggest that you change it.

Cadets in and of itself doesn't count for much. The best benefit Cadets will offer you is a chance to demonstrate your leadership. Get yourself into teaching classes. Try to become instructional staff at camp. Besides the money being pretty decent, it will be something concrete you can demonstrate on an ROTP application.

Get yourself as fit as you can, and try to do some of it in the context of organized sport. Rugby or something. That will show not just fitness, but the ability to work as part of a team, too.

Volunteering - any volunteering - is excellent. So too is employment.

I know it seems like a lot, and it is. You've only got 168 hours a week to work with. But as long as you fill it productively, you'll be competitive.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone, your information helped a bit. Oh also, mkil, haha I'm not a guy, but that's all good. I was also wondering, would exchanges (in the cadet program) help me at all? Or should I staff in the summer instead? And would it help if I joined Grad Council, Leadership, and Peer Tutoring next year at school? I'll have a job by then. I should also be volunteering somewhere too.

Thank you

I have nothing, and have never had anything, to do with either recruiting or RMC, however...

I was, many years ago, involved with 638 Squadron RC(Air)C as the Liaison Officer from 427 Squadron. Most of my effort went towards preparing candidates for the Glider and Powered Scholarship exams. I also had the pleasure of participating in the selection for the Foreign Exchange one year. I cannot speak for those who decide who gets into RMC or not, but anybody who puts in the effort required to get into any of those highly-competitive programmes and succeeds would certainly impress me, as did those kids back then.

Brihard said:
Depending on your academic program, your obligatory service to the military to cover your service could be up to 13 years (Variable Initial Engagement).

Obligatory service != VIE

Obligatory service min. 3 years, max. 5 years
VIE up to 13 years followed by different contract options

When u apply to rotp, when do u choose the three occupations? In the application?

yes. In the application to RMC there is a spot for you to say what your choices are. There is a new form this year that literally just came out last week. My recruiter sent me the new link.

https://moodle.rmc.ca/php_apps/forms/index.php/en/admission/application/index/435962705636434f4a694f4d47237a763f5272214d717d422e27507a6d

- M

[off topic]

Mincading, have you read the site guidelines?

In particular this part:
You will not use excessive webspeak, or other shorthand styles of typing. Please use English or French to the best of your ability; this makes it easier for those who are not posting in their native language.

[/on topic]

At this point, if you want to make the transition, you'll first have to send a memo to your Squadron commander, that is, your Squadron Captain to make the necessary appointment with the RMCSJ career officer. Once your Squadron Commander gives you the go- ahead, the career officer will handle it from there to sort out how things will be handled with your trade.

Good luck!

Just our of curiousity, any second/third time applicants on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back