• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
littlewhitebuddha said:
I qualified the first time I wrote it too, but then this year my file manager gave me the opportunity to write it again and I blew my last score outta the water. It honestly makes your application so much more competitive. A large portion of the overall scoring is based on the CFAT so never hurts to give it a go and really nail it home.

What is the portion, and what is your source for this information?  Or is it just hearsay and speculation.

Based on the amount of people that come here with different opinions regarding the weight of the CFAT (or if it has any weight at all, beyond identifying which trades you are qualified to apply for), I'd say you're probably guessing.

littlewhitebuddha said:
I qualified the first time I wrote it too, but then this year my file manager gave me the opportunity to write it again and I blew my last score outta the water. It honestly makes your application so much more competitive. A large portion of the overall scoring is based on the CFAT so never hurts to give it a go and really nail it home.

Man, I wish they would have given me the chance to re-write.

And I have heard that the aptitude test and interview count for the most.

127phoenix said:
Cool. Yea too bad for the Canucks. :(Likewise I am also looking forward to August, and meeting you and several other officer cadets. I'm from Coquitlam by the way and to tell you the truth I am still in in a bit of shock that I got accepted lol. The excitement is building each and every day.  :eek:

NO WAY I'M ALSO FROM COQUITLAM. Are you in high school? I just accepted my offer the other day! B.Eng at RMC for Electrical and Mechanical Engineer Officer. I'm beyond stoked; can't wait to meet you all.

jwtg said:
What is the portion, and what is your source for this information?  Or is it just hearsay and speculation.

Based on the amount of people that come here with different opinions regarding the weight of the CFAT (or if it has any weight at all, beyond identifying which trades you are qualified to apply for), I'd say you're probably guessing.

I can't remember exactly, maybe 40-50% of the overall weight. I just know that it's an overwhelming proportion compared to the other components. It was the Capt. who did my interview that told me this. He realized that every part of my application was solid, but my CFAT score was average, so he basically broke it down for me and said that if I wanted to be competitive I needed to re-do it and rock it. So I did  ;D

But I have heard of guys who just did ok on the CFAT but still got in to really competitive trades, so just remember that "Higher" works in mysterious ways. I guess the moral of the story is, no matter what, it doesn't hurt to do really well on the CFAT.

He also mentioned that next year, they won't even look at your highschool marks, it'll be based solely on the CFAT score. I guess this helps to regulate all of the disparities between highschools in the country.

Who else already got their offer, and who is still waiting by the phone? i know CFRC Montreal already finished calling the accepted applicants for the first round

joolay said:
NO WAY I'M ALSO FROM COQUITLAM. Are you in high school? I just accepted my offer the other day! B.Eng at RMC for Electrical and Mechanical Engineer Officer. I'm beyond stoked; can't wait to meet you all.

Congrats! You must have been smiling this entire weekend. Perhaps we'll have to organize a dinner or something this summer as a meet and greet for people who were accepted in the greater Vancouver area. I'm from Richmond myself.

JoBo said:
Congrats! You must have been smiling this entire weekend. Perhaps we'll have to organize a dinner or something this summer as a meet and greet for people who were accepted in the greater Vancouver area. I'm from Richmond myself.

At Xmas they put on a meet and greet in Halifax for the potential recruits. Did they do that for you guys to or was it a local thing?

joolay said:

Yea I'm in high school. I go to centennial secondary. How about you? It's cool to know that your from the same city, looking forward to seeing you there.  ;D

littlewhitebuddha said:
I can't remember exactly, maybe 40-50% of the overall weight. I just know that it's an overwhelming proportion compared to the other components. It was the Capt. who did my interview that told me this. He realized that every part of my application was solid, but my CFAT score was average, so he basically broke it down for me and said that if I wanted to be competitive I needed to re-do it and rock it. So I did  ;D

But I have heard of guys who just did ok on the CFAT but still got in to really competitive trades, so just remember that "Higher" works in mysterious ways. I guess the moral of the story is, no matter what, it doesn't hurt to do really well on the CFAT.

He also mentioned that next year, they won't even look at your highschool marks, it'll be based solely on the CFAT score. I guess this helps to regulate all of the disparities between highschools in the country.

For anyone reading this, I would take this post with a grain of salt. Best confirm something like that with an experienced recruiter.

Dear lord, how do you people manage to make it through one single day ?

::)

matthew1786 said:
For anyone reading this, I would take this post with a grain of salt. Best confirm something like that with an experienced recruiter.

I was advised by a career counselor (a captain) in the Winnipeg RC that the three main areas of assessment in order of importance are:

CFAT
Academic average
Interview score

Now as with most aspects of the application process it seems that there are many different stories depending who you speak with; this simply shows that the CFAT is more than simply a gauge of what occupations you can apply for, but also a gauge of your overall abilities as a candidate.

People go to different schools, with different courses, and are interviewed by different recruiters. The CFAT is a test that is identical across the board; making it the best place to start when attempting to compare thousands of applicants.

Cui said:
Again, I'm going to see how this develops. Thank you for the advice. I do have a number of friends who are NCMs in the reserves. I would not mind being an NCM at all. Though my preference would still be for officer, not for the prestige of it, but I enjoy the planning and the added responsibility that comes along with it.

We'll just have to see where life takes us. Like I said, I would be happy to serve in the CF in any capacity, since it is something that I have always wanted to do for a long time now.

Hey Cui, when I had originally applied last April, I had put in an application for NCM reg force. As reg force, they will also reimburse for courses taken and passed (suject to approval, like anything else). I figured it was a good way to keep working on my degree, and working on a pension. If your school offers a lot of distance courses, this is a good option as well if you are able to handle distance courses. I know U of T offers a HUGE selection, and I completed this last year of full time studies through distance at York while working full time.

matthew1786 said:

Well obviously you should take everything on this forum with a grain of salt. It's the internet.

But the Capt. was quite experienced. When he was explaining why the CFAT carried so much weight, he put it like this, and KY-Ottawa was right on the money: when looking through all the peeps who got merit listed, we're all top of our class, we're all involved in sports, we've all got little stories that illustrate our life experience, we've all got references who can back us up, and we've all taken the time to research our trades and know what we're getting into, so when Higher has the files of Jim Smith and Bob Brown in front of them and are trying to decide who gets the last spot for pilot, they look at the CFAT, because it's the only objective reference that they have. Makes sense doesn't it.

So I say again, if you want to have the best chance for success, do well on every component of the application, especially the CFAT!

littlewhitebuddha said:
Well obviously you should take everything on this forum with a grain of salt. It's the internet.

But the Capt. was quite experienced. When he was explaining why the CFAT carried so much weight, he put it like this, and KY-Ottawa was right on the money: when looking through all the peeps who got merit listed, we're all top of our class, we're all involved in sports, we've all got little stories that illustrate our life experience, we've all got references who can back us up, and we've all taken the time to research our trades and know what we're getting into, so when Higher has the files of Jim Smith and Bob Brown in front of them and are trying to decide who gets the last spot for pilot, they look at the CFAT, because it's the only objective reference that they have. Makes sense doesn't it.

So I say again, if you want to have the best chance for success, do well on every component of the application, especially the CFAT!

Another post to take with a grain of salt.  Your assumptions and casual acceptance of hearsay make everything you post vulnerable to error.

I was certainly not top of my class and I'm positive that many of the people who got in weren't either.  I'm also willing to bet that by and large, many applicants have no idea what they're getting themselves into.  I was raised in a military family and spent years surrounded by the CF, and like any other applicant- I had very little clue what I was getting into.

The CF will really show you how much you didn't know.

I don't meet your criteria, and I got in.

jwtg said:
Another post to take with a grain of salt.  Your assumptions and casual acceptance of hearsay make everything you post vulnerable to error.

I was certainly not top of my class and I'm positive that many of the people who got in weren't either.  I'm also willing to bet that by and large, many applicants have no idea what they're getting themselves into.  I was raised in a military family and spent years surrounded by the CF, and like any other applicant- I had very little clue what I was getting into.

The CF will really show you how much you didn't know.

I don't meet your criteria, and I got in.

I'd have to agree with you. This year I spent a lot of time with the navy as part of a co-op programme. When I talked to many of the officers that went through RMC, I heard quite a few say that they had less than an 80% average going through highschool.  Also when I applied the recruiter hardly even looked at my marks but made a point of changing the amount of years work experience. He said that some thing like that might make a huge difference. But on the other hand he did mention that the CFAT was a big part of it.

I guess it's just who you talk to...

littlewhitebuddha said:

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and are absolutely allowed to share it, especially on the internet. What someone shouldn't be doing however is stating that they know something for fact when they don't. In these forums, its against the rules. Hearsay has proven to be time and time again a completely unreliable way to communicate something which you believe to be factual.

I do agree though that weighting the CFAT more is't a bad idea and could work. IMO, it should be more than just a threshold but hey... it isn't up to me, or anyone else here! You said that the CF will stop looking at your grades altogether; I can't possibly imagine that is fathomable. Assuming this does somehow happen, then I'm willing to bet that the CFAT will be reformed to be much more difficult and in depth.  :2c: This however is merely speculation.

Ok, then let me rephrase:

The Captain who I spoke to at CFRC Ottawa said that the CFAT was important, and gave me justification to believe the same. He also urged me to re-do it, and I believe that my higher score was one of the factors that led to my acceptance to RMC.

So if "good enough" on the CFAT is good enough for you, then awesome! But feel free to strive to exceed the minimum.

OMG make it stop............ ::)

This is like 3 virgins arguing on what's the best way to have sex.

CDN Aviator said:
OMG make it stop............ ::)

This is like 3 virgins arguing on what's the best way to have sex.

That.... would actually be quite entertaining!  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back