• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, changing the topic is the solution, not someone heeding the advice given time and time again around here. Noooo, that would be waaaaay too hard.

I'll rephrase a famous line: better to keep your mouth shut and let them assume you know nothing than to open it and remove all doubt.

Move on.

CDN Aviator said:
OMG make it stop............ ::)

This is like 3 virgins arguing on what's the best way to have sex.

LMAO! This is being stored in the memory warehouse for random use on my husband and his friends!

So, I will try and open up a new discussion to get us off this current trend!

Has anyone sucessfully found any blogs/testimonials regarding the 2 week orientation camp in St. Jean? I have found in other forums information on the garrison and BMQ/BMOQ, but aside from the joining instructions I haven't found much else.

I have to admit, I really enjoy reading about other people's experiences! There are some great stories on this site about what people have been through since the beginning of their careers.

JPye said:
Has anyone successfully found any blogs/testimonials regarding the 2 week orientation camp in St. Jean? I have found in other forums information on the garrison and BMQ/BMOQ, but aside from the joining instructions I haven't found much else.

There are many posts on these forums describing what the 2 week orientation is like- unfortunately, they're probably buried in the middle of thick threads like this one.

I did it.  What would you like to know?

Your first few days, you'll feel a bit out of place because you'll be walking around the Mega in Civi's while everyone else walks around in uniform.  You'll spend a lot of time in a class room hearing lectures on military knowledge, regulations, rank structure, and a whole lot more.  This material is taken right out of the course material for BMQ/BMOQ and is designed to give you a brief introduction to what being in the CF is all about.

You can expect to be up by 0500 and doing PT some mornings, maybe a little later others.  You can expect to go through inspections.  Watch the series 'Basic Up' on youtube or wherever it is online courtesy of the CF (Google it) and you'll get an idea for what inspections are like.  Not fun, extremely picky on details you've probably never thought of before.

You will get yelled at a lot, even when you don't think you're doing anything wrong.  You'll spend hours doing drill either in the drill hall or outside in the sun.  You will sweat and mark time until you think your legs are going to fall off.  You'll learn what exactly 'marking time' means.

You'll go up and down 9-12 flights of stairs several times on a daily basis because your rooms will probably be on one of those floors.  You will learn to correct your mistakes through 'corrective training' in the form of physical exercise.  A lot of pushups.

You will probably see people release, realizing that the CF isn't for them.  Yes, even the 2 week orientation is long enough to show some people that maybe they're better suited to something else.  You will probably see some people that aren't as strong as you- you will  be expected to make up the difference because you succeed or fail as a team.

You will probably see people who are a lot stronger than you- you will need them to help you make up the difference. 

You will spend hours polishing, ironing, marking your kit, studying, laundry, cleaning your room, cleaning your common areas, scrubbing the floor to remove polish stains, doing homework that they will assign you, and hopefully practicing drill because you'll probably be brutal at drill. 

You will probably have some people on your orientation course who have been in cadets and already know drill, polishing, how to form a beret (please do yourself a favor and form your beret well as soon as you can- chef boyardee berets look stupid) and things like that.  Be a sponge, soak up the experience they have and learn from them- and obviously from your instructors as well.

If you ARE that former cadet- realize that your experience is limited and you don't know everything.  Even if you got your glider license or jump wings through cadets, you are as green as anybody else on that course when it comes to being in the CF.  Help and guide others with your experience, but don't lord it over anybody.  No one will be impressed with nonstop chatter about how great an OCdt you are because you were in cadets; however, they will benefit and appreciate a bit of guidance you can offer with humility.

Best piece of advice: Play the game.  It will be hard (although people who have been through much harder will tell you that it's nothing) because you've probably never done anything like it.  When they yell at you, don't take it personally.  Show that you can take it on a chin and keep going- that's what they're looking for.

When you get disciplined and have to do pushups or whatever, you go until muscle failure.  Go until your arms literally cannot lift your body again.  Anything less is called giving up, and you don't want to be that person.

It's worth it if you want it, and before you complain remember: you chose it. 

Good luck.  Any specific questions feel free to ask here or PM me, whether you're curious about RMC or the recruit camp you're about to do (Civ U or RMC). 

JPye said:
Hey Cui, when I had originally applied last April, I had put in an application for NCM reg force. As reg force, they will also reimburse for courses taken and passed (suject to approval, like anything else). I figured it was a good way to keep working on my degree, and working on a pension. If your school offers a lot of distance courses, this is a good option as well if you are able to handle distance courses. I know U of T offers a HUGE selection, and I completed this last year of full time studies through distance at York while working full time.

Waterloo does have a lot of DE courses. However, I want to concentrate on school fully right now, so reserves would be a good option for me if I do not get selected this year. But thanks for the advice, I'll see how things turn out.

jwtg said:
I did it.  What would you like to know?

Thank you for your post and the advice!

I have watched season 1 of Basic Up.... I found it on YouTube. It's a good show! I almost wish there was an update episode where you could see where people ended up!

I wish there was some sort of show similar to basic up that follows officer candidates through BMOQ. I'm sure BMQ and BMOQ are similar in some ways but I'm sure they have their big differences.

Phobos said:
I wish there was some sort of show similar to basic up that follows officer candidates through BMOQ. I'm sure BMQ and BMOQ are similar in some ways but I'm sure they have their big differences.

I'm going to go out on a limb and sat they are basically identical. BMQ is BMQ no matter who it is teaching or learning we all need to learn the same info at that stage (QR&O's, CSD, Rank Structure... etc) we all need to be broken in to start. What comes after is specifics.
Just my  :2c:

stretch said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and sat they are basically identical. BMQ is BMQ no matter who it is teaching or learning we all need to learn the same info at that stage (QR&O's, CSD, Rank Structure... etc) we all need to be broken in to start. What comes after is specifics.
Just my  :2c:
Plenty of people are BMQ qualified and still have to go to CFLRS for a few weeks (5 or 7, I don't remember off the top of my head) in order to get the BMOQ qualification.  Unless you have your PLQ, I don't believe you get to bypass BMOQ.  Someone might be able to confirm/clarify this, but my point is: they are not identical.  Much of the lecture material is the same, but the course is not the same.

CF PLQ will let you bypass BMOQ. If you're Army, and finished PLQ(L), I'm pretty that that writes off CAP if you're going to a Army officer trade. I'm sure theres info on the CDA website, not on DWAN right now.

Stretch, the limb you're on broke. BMOQ teaches the same things as BMQ plus all those pesky details on leadership because an officer is expected to lead right off the hop.

About the 2 weeks orientation camp: jwtg said it all. To me he makes it sound harder than it really is, but it is still a very good description of what you can expect. The instructors of the french platoon alst year were so nice we sometimes wished they'd be a bit more intense so we could have an idea of what BMOQ would be like.

stretch said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and sat they are basically identical.

Not really.
BMQ: http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/ps/rec/es-wt/index-eng.asp
BMOQ: http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/ps/off/es-wt-15/index-eng.asp

trampbike said:
About the 2 weeks orientation camp: jwtg said it all. To me he makes it sound harder than it really is, but it is still a very good description of what you can expect. The instructors of the french platoon alst year were so nice we sometimes wished they'd be a bit more intense so we could have an idea of what BMOQ would be like.
As to be expected, mileage may vary!  Each staff will have a different character which will define the course.  Ours were pretty hard on us until the last day or so, while others spoke of theirs differently.

Will we be doing a BFT or EXPRES test during the orientation at St. Jean? And thanks for all the succinct insight jwtg. Much appreciated. 

http://www.rmc.ca/ji-ir/ppt-tap-eng.asp

I don't think a BFT will be administered during the orientation phase, but I could be wrong.

In 2011 we did the Express test, but it didn't count.
Some girls did 0 push-up and they were not released.

The simplest solution would be to go there in good shape and prepared for anything. Whoda thunk that though, eh?

Hello Everyone!

I have been following this thread for some time now and finally decided to make an account. First off I would like to send out my congratulations to those who have received their offers and also to send out my best wishes to those of you still waiting!

I applied out of CFRC Halifax and received my call this morning and am accepted as a Naval Combat Systems Engineering Officer and will be attending RMC St. Jean in the fall for one year and RMC Kingston for the remaining three to complete my Bachelor of Engineering.

Again I would like to send out my best wishes to those still waiting...and for those who have already heard the good news I will see you all in August!

Cheers,
Abigail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back