• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regrets on Entry Plans

Magic, I agree to each their own, but you are not fully correct about the "bilingualism" and "promotional courses" by which I assume you mean OPME's. I will be done all 6 of my OPME's upon graduation and have a EEE profile. A Civvy-U student can attend any university in Canada (student housing generally is similar in cost to Rations and Quarters, and in some cities students also get PLD),also given the several bilingual universities in this country, if they want to become bilingual they can as well and just to note while many RMC students come out with a BBB profile (or better) many don't retest that high 5 years later...

And yes at the beginning of any officer's career I'm sure that RMC does "prepare" you, but generally by the time you reach Captains its a level playing field... its all what you make of it and both have advantages.

Intelligent Design said:
Is 12U math highschool grade math? Such as grade 12 math? If so, then it is applicable for any university that has it in the admission requirements. If you want to go into science or engineering at pretty much all universities you need it.
Yes, it would be 12U math.  Although when I looked at the University sites of the ones I'm interested in, they didn't require Math as a prerequisite to their arts degrees.  When checking the CF Recruiting site, it was listed under prerequisites for ROTP.  I was confused.

trentonmilwife said:
The forces is all about the "team", but in a school where you are continuously being ranked in order of grades and everything is so competitve, do you really ever because a true team player? Does that mentality ever change once you've bought in?

The same argument could be applied to the rest of the forces.  The CFPAS system continuously ranks people against each other.  At our unit all of the Capts were ranked this month within in the school and next month there is a Wing ranking.  I don't think that it makes anyone less of a team player and my experience at RMC was the same.  I also didn't see the ranking at RMC as being that competitive (I see the ACSO trade as being more competitive in fact).

I went to RMC for my undergraduate degree and Civ-U for my graduate degree and both environments have there pros and cons.  I also did a semester exchange while at RMC to the USAF Academy and saw a different experience there with it's pros and cons compared to RMC or Civ-U.  I didn't see any environment as being a make or break for anything that has since come in my career.  There are merits to both, as well as DEO, CFR, UTPNCM and all of the other entry programs.  IMO, having a diverse background of experience improves the officer corp.

Riddoch said:
Yes, it would be 12U math.  Although when I looked at the University sites of the ones I'm interested in, they didn't require Math as a prerequisite to their arts degrees.  When checking the CF Recruiting site, it was listed under prerequisites for ROTP.  I was confused.

Well I got into ROTP without grade 12 math, so I think you just need to worry about your faculty pre-reqs.

Intelligent Design said:
Well I got into ROTP without grade 12 math, so I think you just need to worry about your faculty pre-reqs.

Further, there are people at RMC who got into RMC without RMC even seeing a final copy of their transcripts. The recruiters may get a copy and give the go ahead, but on RMC records there are students here without the mandatory "6 University level highschool courses" (at least that's the Ontario requirement) because RMC never bothered to get a hold of an updated and final transcript.

I got accepted into RMC yesterday, even though I never put it as one of my three university choices. I originally got a letter congratulating me on my acceptance to a Civi U which will be fully subsidized for 4 years.
I had my heart set on a Civi U, but now they tell me my only option is RMC.  Everyone (Family/Friends) wants me to go to RMC.  I will be going into Business Administration as Air Ops (Pilot).  I hope RMC won't be too bad and am looking forward to the new experience. 

jmhfighterpilot said:
I hope RMC won't be too bad and am looking forward to the new experience.

You will be getting university for FREE and a salary to go with it. Quit complaining.

Not to mention pensionable time.

I, on the other hand, have exited from the post secondary education system with no such time, and tens of thousands of dollars in student loans.  Don't even get me started on the job market.

Count your blessings.

jmhfighterpilot

When do you expect to do ACS?

If your are RMC and do not pass ACS can you leave with no obligation?  (As normal RMC cadet can.)  Do you know what your obligation was  after a year ROTP if you did not pass ACS?

Which Civy U were you enrolled for?

Aircrew selection results would have no impact on your ability to voluntarily release.  You would have the same options as any other first year RMC cadet whether or not you pass aircrew selection.  Of course, if you don't pass they would likely offer you a different occupation. 

Also, I know of some people who went to RMC as a pilot, failed aircrew during first year, completed their private licence, then did aircrew again (a couple years later) and passed the second time around.  But, like anyone else, you can't release after 1st year without obligation, so waiting around to try a second time could be risky if you only want to be a pilot.

Back