• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Office Production Paths - CFR or Bust?

Trekkie fedora on

Actually…

Star Trek does have NCM ranks. They just don’t show up in most episodes. There are Crewmen (mostly in Enterprise) and Chief Petty Officers (like O’Brien).

Star Trek has a rank structure that would make the CAF seem bottom heavy.
Or is Trek just centred on the officers and ignoring the NCMs (insert Navy attitudes joke here).

Or is Trek just centred on the officers and ignoring the NCMs (insert Navy attitudes joke here).

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

On the plus side, most of the fatalities seemed to be faceless redshirted ensigns, so the crew seemed to be pretty safe by comparison.

Edit: Star Trek: Below decks is hilarious if you haven't seen it.
Star Trek Lower Decks is the best Trek series. Strange New Worlds is good but not even close.

That’s the hill I’m dying on.

I found these two interviews of interest. A career in the Logistic world, with a Late Entry Commission in the British Army. In Part two, around the 20-minute mark he discusses the transition to an Officer, and later the transition to civilian.

Rare to find experience from the Log world vice Cbt Arms.

23 SAS & Red Devils - British Army Veteran

Late Entry Officer (LE) - British Army Veteran

I found these two interviews of interest. A career in the Logistic world, with a Late Entry Commission in the British Army. In Part two, around the 20-minute mark he discusses the transition to an Officer, and later the transition to civilian.

Rare to find experience from the Log world vice Cbt Arms.

23 SAS & Red Devils - British Army Veteran

Late Entry Officer (LE) - British Army Veteran

It makes way more sense in the Log world.

Few CFRs will ever command anything in the Combat Arms with the British Army. They almost always get relegated to QM or Training Centre type jobs.

Part one didn't get posted.

23 SAS & Red Devils - British Army Veteran​

It makes way more sense in the Log world.

Few CFRs will ever command anything in the Combat Arms with the British Army. They almost always get relegated to QM or Training Centre type jobs.
I'm surprised that dynamic is still active. I can see where the LE concept would be useful as something akin to the US-style WO, but not also having a robust Cpl/Sgt-skimming CFR-to-unlimited employment program seems wasteful.

I just don’t want to be a red shirt, that’s a death sentence. Unless your Montgomery Scott.

How the hell did we get here????
If you think of it from a general officer production path, they seem to have a high tolerance for jnr officer fatalities, so assuming they don't have a retention/retainment issue (maybe the most fictional part of the show haha).

A few Klingons as instructors on basic would really liven things up though; "Recruit, what is wrong with your boots, those are an insult to my honour! Lets settle this over a fight to the death!"

Back