• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

References Superthread [Merged]

In my experience 5 Years is what they want, They'll say one thing and want another.
I used all Personal but all 5 knew me for 10+ Years.

Hi I'm gathering references and Ive finally managed to get 5 that Ive known for at least 5 years. the thing is they are all personal references. none of them have really worked with me and their all friends. they do know that I'm a trustworthy and hard working person but they have no examples of my hard work if they were asked. Ive moved around alot and these are really the only people i can trust to be references. would it still be possible to make it in with them as references?

Hello everyone, just a little update and question, CFAT complete, Medical is awaiting approval, and recruiter has told me that they are just awaiting my file to come back from a criminal background check and then they will be scheduling an interview. So with all that I am kinda left wondering when do they do the reference calls? I was under the impression that they called your references before they sent your file away for security checks?

Just curious.

Hello,

I am a 19 year old University student who had failed to be selected for ROTP on my first applicaton. I am trying again this year but the one thing that has me bent over shape is my references. Last year I gave 5 teachers as my references(I have not known them for 5 continous year obviously) I really don't know that many non-family individuals, especially due to constant moving, that I have known since I was 14 that know me well enough to provide an evaluation of my character for the past 5 years. Maybe that is why I didn't get selected last year? Are the references very important to an application? If so what can I possibly do? I reached the interview stage last year with teacher references so is it possible to ask the recruiters if they can use the information my references provided last year?

You need to take a few deep cleansing breaths.  Chances are there just wasn't enough room in the program.  Unless your refs put down "axe murderer" or something as their occupation, you're probably okay.  One sure way to find out is to ask your recruiter.

Would_be_Artillery said:
Hello,

I am a 19 year old University student who had failed to be selected for ROTP on my first applicaton. I am trying again this year but the one thing that has me bent over shape is my references. Last year I gave 5 teachers as my references(I have not known them for 5 continous year obviously) I really don't know that many non-family individuals, especially due to constant moving, that I have known since I was 14 that know me well enough to provide an evaluation of my character for the past 5 years. Maybe that is why I didn't get selected last year? Are the references very important to an application? If so what can I possibly do? I reached the interview stage last year with teacher references so is it possible to ask the recruiters if they can use the information my references provided last year?
Yes, references are important. I would suggest you take the time to meet people who qualify as references for the CF, and confer with them for 5 years.

I had 4 that I used and the last one I knew for 3 years. As long as you use the oldest to the newest, can't really go wrong since your situation about moving. Be honest and let the recruiter know. Mine didn't make a big deal about the issue, they just want people who know most things about you, and how you are as a person, willing to help out, ect.

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll talk to a recruiter in the morning but just to maybe put my mind at ease do you think using best-friends or girl-friends as references is a good idea? Thanks again.

No.  If you have the choice between Jenny from the block, or an educator, who do you think is the better choice?

Note of caution with ( over) using educators on the EAF...... 
Teachers work the same hours as the minions of CFRC, and are not always able to pick up the phone in order to do telephone ref checks....

Well guys, I have just gotten off the phone witha recruiter and he told that even 2-3 references are good. Even friends and girlfriends, I guess that part of my application is nothing to worry about.

Would_be_Artillery said:
Well guys, I have just gotten off the phone witha recruiter and he told that even 2-3 references are good. Even friends and girlfriends, I guess that part of my application is nothing to worry about.

Watch out for the girlfriend part, for real....Holy smokes, call me bitter/jaded/disgruntled whatever, that is serious courage there. You never know what they are up to.

At your stage in life, I'm not sure friends and girlfriends are your best references ("like, you know, he' s like a real super keen dude, you know?").  Your best bet would be teachers, coaches, scout leaders, cadet officers, parents of friends.  All should be people who know you well and are prepared to comment on your character.  References need not be people who currently live near you or whom you've seen recently (although the girl who babysat you when you were five may not be a good choice if you haven't seen her since then).  Another word of advice on references is to check with them before you list them as a reference.

I'm just few days away from sending my application to become a member of Canadian Forces.

I'm really excited and just loving every minute passing by and getting close to the d-day, but one information I received from a friend of mine, who is also trying to apply to forces, has got me all confused.

As I said I'm really excited, so stupidly I got blinded and didn't notice that my references have to have known me for 5years. So I was thinking of waiting until I found people who has known me for 5years, but my friend is telling me it doesn't have to be 5years and there are exceptions.

For example, if I've been working for 3years at one place, the reference from my manager is sufficient even if he's only known me for 3years.

Anyone have any information on this? Is it a MUST 5years or are there exceptions like my friend said?

The one exception that I can see would be depending on your age.

Your reference must know you for at least 5 consecutive years or since the age of 16.

So if you are 19 years old than you need only go back 3 years.

I'm in a similar position as others in this topic. Yes, I read the whole thing and searched for hours; I'm just gonna explain my situation.

I'm 19 years old, applying to the CF as a med tech for my first choice. I was born in Canada, but I moved to the States when I was 8 years old and stayed there (in various places) for 10 years. I moved back to Calgary last year. I'm a full Canadian citizen, etc.  :cdn:

I simply do not have any references that fit the criteria. I've moved 4 times since I was 16 (the cutoff time period for references), and many times before that. I never got to know anyone well enough so that they would be able to comment on my character. I have some amazing employment references who would hire me back in a heartbeat, but I either haven't known them for long enough, or they are family members (not immediate, cousins and uncles). I've listed them anyway out of desperation.

I'm normally not one to toot my own horn, but my work ethic, mental focus, and physical prowess are outstanding. I've seen lazier, dumber, and much less fit people go off to BMQ. I was in the top 95% on a country-wide standardized test, I can do well over fourty pushups, 100 situps, and can run longer than most are willing to bike. I aim to be the hardest worker and best team member whenever I'm entrusted with responsibility. I know I can be an asset anywhere I'm employed, and I want to join the CF because I think my skills will be well used and appreciated. (wow, that last paragraph is insanely egocentric. I'm probably the most humble kid you'll meet, but that felt good  >:D)

Yet, my local recruiters won't even consider my application because of this arbitrary bullshit. I know the CF makes an investment with each new recruit and wants to make sure it's a good investment, but can't a person vouch for his/herself? I'll write any test, do any exercise, be on any team to get in. But since I'm 19 years old, patience isn't a virtue I've fully cultivated yet  ;D

Many of my current friends have offered to fabricate stories for me, but I don't want a cheap lie to bite me in the ass later down the line. I'll keep digging up old contacts; who knows, I may find an old teacher who remembers my name.

peppy said:
arbitrary bullshit.

:crybaby:

I may find an old teacher who remembers my name.

A much better plan. Bitching about your situation and wishing that they would make an exception just for you ( you're so special after all.......) is not a plan of action. Sorry.

peppy said:
I'm in a similar position as others in this topic. Yes, I read the whole thing and searched for hours; I'm just gonna explain my situation.

I'm 19 years old, applying to the CF as a med tech for my first choice. I was born in Canada, but I moved to the States when I was 8 years old and stayed there (in various places) for 10 years. I moved back to Calgary last year. I'm a full Canadian citizen, etc.  :cdn:

I simply do not have any references that fit the criteria. I've moved 4 times since I was 16 (the cutoff time period for references), and many times before that. I never got to know anyone well enough so that they would be able to comment on my character. I have some amazing employment references who would hire me back in a heartbeat, but I either haven't known them for long enough, or they are family members (not immediate, cousins and uncles). I've listed them anyway out of desperation.

I'm normally not one to toot my own horn, but my work ethic, mental focus, and physical prowess are outstanding. I've seen lazier, dumber, and much less fit people go off to BMQ. I was in the top 95% on a country-wide standardized test, I can do well over fourty pushups, 100 situps, and can run longer than most are willing to bike. I aim to be the hardest worker and best team member whenever I'm entrusted with responsibility. I know I can be an asset anywhere I'm employed, and I want to join the CF because I think my skills will be well used and appreciated. (wow, that last paragraph is insanely egocentric. I'm probably the most humble kid you'll meet, but that felt good  >:D)

Yet, my local recruiters won't even consider my application because of this arbitrary bullshit. I know the CF makes an investment with each new recruit and wants to make sure it's a good investment, but can't a person vouch for his/herself? I'll write any test, do any exercise, be on any team to get in. But since I'm 19 years old, patience isn't a virtue I've fully cultivated yet  ;D

Many of my current friends have offered to fabricate stories for me, but I don't want a cheap lie to bite me in the *** later down the line. I'll keep digging up old contacts; who knows, I may find an old teacher who remembers my name.
The fact of the matter is, you might think you're the greatest person to walk the Earth since Jesus, but nobody else does.

Of course not, but I'd like a chance to prove myself before being written off so hastily by the recruiters.

peppy said:
Of course not, but I'd like a chance to prove myself before being written off so hastily by the recruiters.

You meet the requirements, you get to move on.

You dont meet the requirements, you dont get to move on.

It applies to everyone, including you. What you would like is rather irrelevant.

Back