• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Process of naturalized Canadian

kincanucks said:
Your interview is not the end of the process.
Yes, I hope.
Today I was in my CFRC:"Your file is in process in Ottawa."
By the way I installed in my cell phone countdown option from day of my application.Today was 333 days.
I hope to get something new before 444 days... :)

Hello:

First congratulations that you went to CFRC and applied. First step in correct direction. Yes they will condut CFAT regardless of you security check. But after CFAT is they actual wait. I am naturalized Canadian and have lived in Canada for 9years now, 3 years as permanent resident and 5 years as citizen. But I was born and grew in in non NATO country. I was really frustrated after about 4months when they did not reply. I argued my logic all the way upto the Provost Marshal and MPs and indeed they helped me but still I was subjected to the process. It took 16months for the process. Now that I am declared medically fit and recommended to NOAB by interviewing officer, I am still waiting for next NOAB. Be prepared for an endless wait but just imagine the respect you get in that uniform. Now that I am waiting for NOAB, I have started telling people about my CF application and to my pleasant surprise the casual behaviour towards me suddenly changed to respect. I am so happy that I survived the process through perseverance. Make sure you know what you are getting into, get as much information you need, get your finances in place, workout and just keep at it. Call CFRC every month to find about your application.

K

guysletsdoit said:
Hello:

First congratulations that you went to CFRC and applied. First step in correct direction. Yes they will condut CFAT regardless of you security check. But after CFAT is they actual wait. I am naturalized Canadian and have lived in Canada for 9years now, 3 years as permanent resident and 5 years as citizen. But I was born and grew in in non NATO country. I was really frustrated after about 4months when they did not reply. I argued my logic all the way upto the Provost Marshal and MPs and indeed they helped me but still I was subjected to the process. It took 16months for the process. Now that I am declared medically fit and recommended to NOAB by interviewing officer, I am still waiting for next NOAB. Be prepared for an endless wait but just imagine the respect you get in that uniform. Now that I am waiting for NOAB, I have started telling people about my CF application and to my pleasant surprise the casual behaviour towards me suddenly changed to respect. I am so happy that I survived the process through perseverance. Make sure you know what you are getting into, get as much information you need, get your finances in place, workout and just keep at it. Call CFRC every month to find about your application.

K
Hi man, Thanks for your message.
Your story encouraged me in my waiting process. I wish you to start your BMQ (or BMOQ) as soon as possible. After your post I decided just relax and live like I never applied to CF. And one day I can get ( I hope) the phone call from CFRC . My immigration process from Application form till  visa has taken  almost 3 years. Again thank you for your posting.
I feel relaxed. I recommend  everybody enjoy their lives but not living in waiting process.

Hey Guys, I have come here to the forums because to be honest, I feel like the recruiting process is a mess right now and I am not sure what and who to trust.  Case in point is, I have checked the Forces.ca website and I searched for the "hot jobs" and it returned a list of which I liked some of them for a trade.  I went to the Recruiting Office here in Toronto and I was told that the LCIS tech was open.  I went home to review the open trade and to do further research on this profession.  I then asked my father back in the Philippines to send me my official High School transcripts while I also filled out an application online, gathered and asked for references, and also got all my Canadian transcript of record.  I have a Business Administration diploma.  When I came back about a month later, RC told me that most of those hot jobs are closed.  In short, what the website is saying and the recruiting centre doesn't match sometimes.

I went back to the Recruiting Centre and I was told the LCIS tech is now closed.  Recruiter told me I was a good candidate for my second option which is RMS clerk however that is also closed and I have to wait until April.  I asked him about references and if it were permissible to list down my references from my former country.  He firmly said no and he said that only Canadian residents were allowed to be references.  I then mentioned to him that I also talked to the online recruiter and that the recruiter said it was ok to use foreign references.  He then double checked and checked from a person in their office it what I was saying is true and yes it was.  Foreign references are acceptable although Canadian references are very much preferred.

My worry is that and I don't intend to insult anybody here, is that I don't know if I can trust his answers to my questions.  One of the guys there told me last month ago that the LCIS tech is open yet the person that I was talking to today told me that the LCIS position has been closed now for a couple of months.  I don't know who to believe anymore and the more I go to the RC and ask more questions, the more confusing it gets with the different answers that I get from the different people working there.  Here are my concerns and I hope you can help me.

1.  I applied for the LCIS tech position and although it is closed now, he said that this position is security level 2 which means you must have resided in Canada for at least 7 years.  I have only been here around 5 years.  Is this true?  I have browsed the forums for these and there was a thread that a naturalized Canadian wants to be an officer even though he is only been around here less than 5 years and I have not read from him that this is an obstacle.  For an officer you are not required security clearance but for a NCM you must have one??

2.  An option for me would be to wait until April when more trades will be available and I would just sign up for the RMS clerk position with which I have a relevant education background and then switch to LCIS tech after the required 3 years of service.
Do you guys think this is a good idea?  Suppose that I make it into Corporal as an RMS clerk and then I switch to LCIS.  Would I be demoted while I undergo occupational training for the LCIS trade?

3.  3rd option for me is to wait out the required 7 years and get another diploma as an Electrical technician.  I am however worried that the demands of the Army will again change in those 2 years and make my education unwanted.

And more questions..

4.  As a naturalized Canadian, I understand that I have more security to clear than those who were born here.  Also, my father currently lives in the Philippines and works for the government there.  What steps should I take to hasten up the application process? 

I hope you guys can help clear up some things on my mind.

No reps or advice?  Is my situation too unique or did I not make my situation clear enough?  I need some inputs please and I would be willing to provide more details if needed.

Thank you.

It's only been a half hour, relax.  Not everyone is panting in anticipation waiting to leap on the next great never-asked-before post.  If someone with current and relevant info reads your post, I'm sure they'll give you an answer.  If this is the level of patience you possess, recruiting is going to be a long row for you to hoe.

Barbarossa,

To the best of my knowledge and I'm sure some more experienced members of the forum will answer you also.

Barbarossa said:
In short, what the website is saying and the recruiting centre doesn't match sometimes.

The Canadian Army website is not updated as fast as the positions are closed. Lately, most of the trades in the CF closed because there is simply... no more rooms.
Your best option is to relay to what your recruiter tells you. He is the one who has the latest datas. keep in mind that if 10 positions open in i.e. RMS and there is already people with a full process completed on a merit list... obviously these positions will be offered to these people rather than to someone who's process is not even started.

Foreign references are acceptable although Canadian references are very much preferred.

I asked the same question... was given the same answer... therefor, you have your answer ;)

1.  I applied for the LCIS tech position and although it is closed now, he said that this position is security level 2 which means you must have resided in Canada for at least 7 years.  I have only been here around 5 years.  Is this true?  I have browsed the forums for these and there was a thread that a naturalized Canadian wants to be an officer even though he is only been around here less than 5 years and I have not read from him that this is an obstacle.  For an officer you are not required security clearance but for a NCM you must have one??

This is only a guess here but:
For some trades in the CF, you need a certain level of security regarding on the fact that you're an officer or a NCM. i.e. NCM working in psysops will probably need a higher security level than a Logistic Officer.
Please confirm this with someone else on the forum.

4.  As a naturalized Canadian, I understand that I have more security to clear than those who were born here.  Also, my father currently lives in the Philippines and works for the government there.  What steps should I take to hasten up the application process? 

It is not because you are a naturalized Canadian that you need to undergo a deeper security check. When you have relatives living in countries that are not part of NATO, this security check is required. This is the same rule for anyone. You could be a natural born Canadian and have a mother living in Ivory Coast... then you'd have to go through extra security check.
Now, I don't want to scare you as this is not my intention at all, but you should be aware that depending on the country your relative lives in, that security check could take between 6 to 18 months to clear out and the reason has nothing to do with Canada rather than with the Embassies to which your file might be sent in regards to that security check. They will actually not check on you for that part of the process rather than on your relatives.

Hope this helps a bit and all I can say is: BE PATIENT!

Alea

Edited for spell check

Thank you for you reply.  I was given a paper by the recruiter listing all the courses and the security level for each trade.  They are numbered 1,2,3 and ER.  As he explained to me, he said that level 1 is 3 years verifiable history, level 2 is 5 years, and level 3 is 7 years.  He did not mention what ER meant but on the bottom of the paper it says 5 years verifiable history.

Now, I don't know how to say this without sounding disrespectful but I felt like he didn't know all their is about recruiting.  Remember I asked him if foreign references were allowed and he said no confidently but he turned out to be wrong.  My point is maybe he also messed up on the security level explanations??  Maybe security level 1 simply means 1 year, 2 for 2 years, 3 for 3 years and ER for 5 years?  I think this could be possible since I have not read one naturalized applicant complain about the security levels?

Also, should I just go and take a chance and take a 2 year electrical technician course??  I am scared that I will waste more money. 

Also about my dad living abroad seems to be an issue with the CF.  Maybe if you guys can tell me what the CF is looking for then maybe I can ask my dad to help out with the papers since he is working for the government there and has some connections.

I'm thinking of asking him to retire or to temporarily reside here but I guess that might be a little too selfish on my part.  :cdn:

Barbarossa,

Now, I don't know how to say this without sounding disrespectful but I felt like he didn't know all their is about recruiting.  Remember I asked him if foreign references were allowed and he said no confidently but he turned out to be wrong.  My point is maybe he also messed up on the security level explanations??  Maybe security level 1 simply means 1 year, 2 for 2 years, 3 for 3 years and ER for 5 years?  I think this could be possible since I have not read one naturalized applicant complain about the security levels?

You're not sounding disrespectful... but you do have a lack of confidence and understanding for/in another human being maybe?
Have you thought of that maybe he is new to his job and might not know it all?
The CF is a huge "enterprise" with millions of rules and I take it only someone who has been in it for years and years is close to "know it all".
Have you thought of the fact that besides a recruiter, he is before all a human being and therefor is entitled to make mistakes and be wrong?
Okay, so he did turn around and ask a question to one of his colleague and came back to you with an answer.
I will not speculate on wether he was wrong or right.
If you really are not confident enough with the answers you got at the recruiting center then speak to another recruiter an compare information.

Also, should I just go and take a chance and take a 2 year electrical technician course??  I am scared that I will waste more money. 

You are the only one who can make such a decision. Who are we, on here, to tell you: Get it or don't?
Stop being afraid! If you decide to get this diploma... what could you loose? It is only more experience for yourself no?

Also about my dad living abroad seems to be an issue with the CF.  Maybe if you guys can tell me what the CF is looking for then maybe I can ask my dad to help out with the papers since he is working for the government there and has some connections.

Only the CF can tell you what the CF is looking for and that is if they tell you at all. Security checks are secret. Most of the time, they are secret even for the person who is concerned. If your dad needs some papers, then the CF will make sure he is aware of this.
The fact that he works for another government is irrelevant... I think (and may be wrong).

I'm thinking of asking him to retire or to temporarily reside here but I guess that might be a little too selfish on my part.  :cdn:

HAN?? Oh well...

Alea

Thanks.  Yes that's what boggles me.  One recruiter is telling me one story and another one is telling me a different story.  That is why I posted my situation so you guys can help me figure this out.  ;D

Well the thing is if I have to take the 2 year electrical course then that would mean that I have to go full time and less time to make some money even doing menial jobs.  I also already have a diploma in Business Admin Accounting and sometimes jobs pop up that I know I am qualified for but they would require me to move to a different city so I would miss out on those opportunities if I commit to school again.

And if I do take and finish the 2 year course, there is no guarantee that I will be accepted into the CF anyway.

Recruiter offered me subsidized education though.  He said if I get accepted into the Electrical course, that subject to CF approval and given I pass all their requirements, CF would pay for my education and costs and that would also mean a guaranteed job after graduation.  The thing is the trade mentioned is for Navy weapons technician trade and that would be 2 years after I graduate. 

This could be a possible route for me but do you think that I can accept this offer now and just ask them if after I graduate that I rather be LCIS than Navy Tech?  I think living at sea is  :boring: and I like the army's uniform better.

Is that possible?  Electrical Technician course is applicable to LCIS anyway.  ;D

Barbarossa said:
Thanks.  Yes that's what boggles me.  One recruiter is telling me one story and another one is telling me a different story.  That is why I posted my situation so you guys can help me figure this out.  ;D

Well the thing is if I have to take the 2 year electrical course then that would mean that I have to go full time and less time to make some money even doing menial jobs.  I also already have a diploma in Business Admin Accounting and sometimes jobs pop up that I know I am qualified for but they would require me to move to a different city so I would miss out on those opportunities if I commit to school again.

And if I do take and finish the 2 year course, there is no guarantee that I will be accepted into the CF anyway.

Recruiter offered me subsidized education though.  He said if I get accepted into the Electrical course, that subject to CF approval and given I pass all their requirements, CF would pay for my education and costs and that would also mean a guaranteed job after graduation.  The thing is the trade mentioned is for Navy weapons technician trade and that would be 2 years after I graduate. 

This could be a possible route for me but do you think that I can accept this offer now and just ask them if after I graduate that I rather be LCIS than Navy Tech?  I think living at sea is  :boring: and I like the army's uniform better.

Is that possible?  Electrical Technician course is applicable to LCIS anyway.  ;D

Barbarossa,

I really can't answer your questions. I suggest you wait for some experienced members to answer this part of your worries.
In the meantime do some search on the forum. You might find some threads that answer your questions.

Alea

If you are taking an electricians course you may find that this does not match LCIS very well. An electronic technology program would be closer to what you are looking for. The electrical technician would be more in line with the Electrical Distribution Technician or the Electrical Generating Systems Technician trades. With LCIS you are dealing with radios and other communications devices at the board to component level that require a different set of skills than the electrical technician. You may want to check a bit deeper into what the program you are planning to take will easily transfer to.

Yes, sorry bout that.  I meant Electronics Engineering Technician course not Electrical.  ;D

They are both for LCIS and Navy Tech right ?? I wonder if CF can be flexible on this.  They subsidized my education for Navy Tech and I would honor it after I graduate but I will ask them if its possible that I be assigned as LCIS Tech instead.  ;D

The number level of a security clearance has nothing to do with the number of years they look into your background.  The levels go like this:

Level 1 - what we used to call "Confidential" is now the lowest clearance (they will ensure your references are real people)*

Level 2 - what we used to call "Secret" requires a more detailed background check (they will actually talke to your references)*

Level 3 - what we used to call "Top Secret" requires the most detailed background check (they will talk to your references, ask them who else you knew and then talk to them)*

"ER" is "Enhanced Reliability," the lowest form of security check and is not considered a "clearance" (essentially ensures you are who you say you are)*  Not sure why you were told that this requires a more extensive background check than Level 1.

*NB  I'm being somewhat facetious here.  There actually is more to it then this.

All of these things take time and if you've lived outside the country during any period that they need to look into, things will be delayed.  Even if you've never lived outside Canada, things can be delayed for any variety of reasons (e.g. if there's another person with a similar name that has been naughty).

Security clearances are determined by occupation and sometimes by specific position, not rank.  As Alea said, a logistics officer will normally have a lower clearance (i.e. probably Level 2), while a communications research corporal will have a minimum Level 3.

On another note, do NOT accept enrollment in one occupation with the firm belief that you will be able to transfer later.  It is never that simple.  In fact, it can be a very difficult thing to do.  Finally, if you have your heart set on being an LCIS Tech, the closest naval occupation would be Naval Electronics Technician (NET - Communications, Tactical or Acoustic - initially three separate occupations that converge at a higher rank level).  A Naval Weapons Technician (NWT) works with weapons systems.  In simple terms, the NET works on the guidance systems (computers, radars, etc), while the NWT works on the gun itself.  One job is much cleaner than the other, but both require a fairly high level of training /education.  The NWT training is concentrated more on ballistics, physics, etc than on electronics.

Hey Pusser, are you a recruiter?  Just to make sure I understand what you are saying, LCIS tech's do not need require 7 years continous stay in Canada?  Cos my recruiter is saying otherwise.  How % sure are you about this?

Also, do you recommend I take up a 2 year electronic course?  The recruiter said I get promoted to Corporal faster and I get the $20,000 bonus for entering the trade with a diploma.  Can comment please?

Thanks !!!  :salute:

LCIS Tech is no more special than any other Trade when it comes to meeting the requirements/criteria to join the CF.  Please read what those Criteria are (We have a topic or two on them.).

You are not likely to get a Signing Bonus, unless you are already qualified in that Trade, and most often have had previous service in the CF.  Do you want to spend two years paying out of your own pocket to get the training that the CF will be giving you anyway? 

Oh yes!  So as not to rehash things that have been covered in a topic on naturalized Canadians joining the CF, I have merged the topics.  Please go to the first post and start reading again.

Barbarossa said:
  Maybe security level 1 simply means 1 year, 2 for 2 years, 3 for 3 years and ER for 5 years?  I think this could be possible since I have not read one naturalized applicant complain about the security levels?

You are flat out wrong. Please stop making stuff up just because you dont like the answer you got from the CFRC.

FYI, when i had my level 3 clearance done, i had to list, in great detail, 20 years worth of information.

Barbarossa

You can find out everything you need to know about Security Clearances and Checks by reading the topics on SECURITY CLEARANCES and on BACKCHECK.

Hi George Wallace,

Yes, I have read this thread before and yes I understand that the CF has to do a backcheck on him and most likely for me too since we are only naturalized Canadians.  I went all over the CF forms and there were a couple of criteria's there that if your situation is listed such as being born outside of Canada that they might do a background check on the applicant.  I understand that part.

But what I am confused is the recruiter handed me a piece of paper listing all the trades and he explained to me that for each of these trades there are security clearances for it.  Specifically for the LCIS tech, it is security level 2 which he said that you must have 7 continuous stay in Canada.  I decided to post my own thread because sky777 did not encounter such problems yet and he is applying to a more sensitive position in the CF.  Anyway, I've went thru some posts here and some posts affirms that level 2 is indeed 7 years continuous stay while some posts definde level 2 as just checking your references.  I'm getting more confused..  :'(

Hey Canadian Aviator my good buddy,

Please re-read my posts again.  I am not making stuff up and I wrote that sentence in question form.  Therefore, I am seeking clarifications instead making a statement. 

Barbarossa

As stated in those other threads that I pointed you to, for a Level II you will require to meet the residency requirements, be fingerprinted, and fill in the TBS 330-60E and the TBS 330-23E.  For those forms you are required to list all your immediate family, your and their places of residence/addresses, your and their employment, for the past ten (10) years.  If you can not do this, then your Clearance can not be processed.

So.  Start right now and find out all the information, for the past ten years, for not only yourself, but all your immediate family.

You can look up what information is required at this site:  http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/tbsf-fsct/330-60-eng.asp

Back