• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Event Ideas

I just happen to finished my degree in marketing...and im 22 so im not too far off you with the age.

I realize some people are interested in the violence, types of displays like that but like i said that isn't the image the Canadian Forces wants to display. We are a peacekeeping force, that is the image we choose to display because that is the nature of our job.  

Remember its not quantity of troops its the quality of troops that makes the forces as strong as it is.

CFN Orange: Don't forget that someone once said something like:"Train hard, fight easy"..  Isn't the training a little like the Ghost Recon cover??  A lot of mud and a lot of fun???

I'm still a civilian, so that's more a question than something else..

Frank

CFN. Orange said:
We are a peacekeeping force, that is the image we choose to display because that is the nature of our job.  

Then we should show soldiers being peacekeepers and being soldiers. I think the CF is more about humanitarian type needs and we should show that side, but we should also show the "cool" side with tanks and reppeling (sp?) from choppers and things like that because that gets people saying "hey thats cool, I'd like to try that" and then they go off and learn more about the CF, not just the fighting side of it.

atticus said:
Then we should show soldiers being peacekeepers and being soldiers. I think the CF is more about humanitarian type needs and we should show that side, but we should also show the "cool" side with tanks and reppeling (sp?) from choppers and things like that because that gets people saying "hey thats cool, I'd like to try that" and then they go off and learn more about the CF, not just the fighting side of it.

tanks...last i heard we were loosing all tracked vehicles. On top of that do you think we just have an endless budget to create ghost recon style flyers?

dont get me wrong im not against beefing up the recruiting images etc... but there are other things that need to be taken care of before that stuff.

What about setting up a both at a major event?

Molson Indy?

If your set up inside it kinda sucks because you miss everything but if your outside its alot more fun.

we have set booths up at the indy, and at the motorcycle show and at the man show etc...

Another big issue is liability. We need to have our insurance company right a letter of liability for us when we going on recruiting drives to places, even some malls request it.

We don't have an insurance company.  AJAG will provide a letter for you, if you ask explaining that to the third party.  It's kind of ironic though that people will figure out quickly that the crown will pay out the a$$ if a Govt vehicle is in a accident, but the same people can't figure out the crown covers us in a mall as well.

I know a lot of reservist have their own businesses , perhaps someone has a digital imaging business and would be willing to help out the cause with a little bit of a discount?

might be worth asking around about.

yeah thoose i-cut machines are pretty cool.

plus they can design it for you if you want.

As an idea (that unfortunately didn't develop beyond the proposal at least while I was still with my cadet unit) is to take older cadets down to the SAT range, or take them onto an ex where they could witness the actual things that the reserves do. I think this is a great idea, and could most definately sway some people to enter the Pres. Seeing things done on an ex (sorta like the politician tag along idea) definately can help people thinking about joining if it is right for them.

Maybe this has already been said hehe but i'm gonna say it anyhow. The media is your friend. Call around to the local high schools and see if they  have newspapers, you can usually get an ad in them cheap, same goes for the local university or colleges. Always call some sort of media to cover an event, call all of them , a few are bound to show up. I know with university crowds its a tough sell cause most of them are too busy hugging trees, but maybe talking to them about what really happens in the reserves and about the tuition reimbursment would help. I saw posters at my university but never saw anyone actually come there and try to talk to people.  >:D

I've found that when we have had the CF come to my school (twice so far) there has been a good reception and lots of kids showing up. The first was when one former student who had done a Military Co-op had arranged for a speaker at our rememberance day assembly and had set up a display with pictures and information out side the gym doors right where evey body came out. This way after the majority of the crowed had left all those who were interested around ten to twenty kids, had time to look at all the info. The second time was when the Navy reserve showed up at lunch and also had a huge display. The one different thing that they did was to put an announcement on telling every body they were there. The teachers agreed to let their students go down and take a look. When they ( the recruiters) left they were short a good many pamphlets.

If I was doing one in Ottawa, Id be doing it somewhere on Rideau street in the summer, near or around the war memorial...  (not sure if that would be disrespectful, if it would be perceived in such a way, Id rethink it)...  or at the Rideau Centre...

but since you may not be in ottawa.. basically Id focus anywhere there is a high concentration of young people, and where those young people will likely be on their own, or with 1 or two friends, rather than their entire social group

The issue I had with displays in high schoo l was that there was a large sentiment that the canadian forces were a joke, and why would  you ever join them...  ie it was a janitorial option....    and for young people, perception afects alot, esp when you are just considering joining.

If you can find a neutral plaace where someone will not feel weird about coming up and asking the questions, but also where you have a large target audience (such as a mall, or near a busy area) you'll do best.

If I saw someone repelling off of one of the walkways over rideau street, id sure go over and as what was up :)

Ghost said:
Stop putting nerds all over the posters.

Put cool pictures like a fighter jet firing a missile or people sliding down a rope out of a helicopter none of the close up portraits of some guy smiling.

Something more like this

xbx_ghostrecon_b.gif

not crap like this

splash.jpg

atticus said:

aspiring_recruit said:
I know a lot of reservist have their own businesses , perhaps someone has a digital imaging business and would be willing to help out the cause with a little bit of a discount?

might be worth asking around about.

Our Adj has his own graphics design and web site development business on the side and he helps where he can. If your looking for a graphics developer contact:

PMW Productions: http://users.efni.com/~pmwhite/

Symchyshyn said:
As an idea (that unfortunately didn't develop beyond the proposal at least while I was still with my cadet unit) is to take older cadets down to the SAT range, or take them onto an ex where they could witness the actual things that the reserves do. I think this is a great idea, and could most definately sway some people to enter the Pres. Seeing things done on an ex (sorta like the politician tag along idea) definately can help people thinking about joining if it is right for them.

-- This here is an AWESOME suggestion! 

Our reasoning for working with the CFRCis to allow our services not to be duplicated, thus we coordinate with our partners at CFRC. These people are important to the recruiting effort and they assist us with all our recruiting efforts.

One day about 4 years ago I guess, I was driving downtown halifax and saw a sign (one of those cheap convienince store signs that normally says "cig $8, milk at cost") and on it said "Reserves Now Hiring! Call 1-800 yadda yadda"  It worked.  I applied, told my cousin and he applied and now we are both reg force.  So keeping it simple does work.

2Lt_Burgie said:
-- This here is an AWESOME suggestion!  

Our reasoning for working with the CFRCis to allow our services not to be duplicated, thus we coordinate with our partners at CFRC. These people are important to the recruiting effort and they assist us with all our recruiting efforts.

This suggestion is exactly why we hold information sessions on parade nights. You bring people into the unit have the recruiters do a powerpoint presentation or requirements etc... show them the BMQ video...walk them around the armoury showing them everything and then have them come and see what some of the troops are doing.

Back