• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Event Ideas

2Lt_Burgie

Good Day:
I am in the process of generating new recruiting events, however I'd like to get a feel from other members on what recruiting events have inspired them to join the Canadian Forces, or made them proud to be in the forces.

Was their any recruiting characteristics that inspired you to join the forces (or be proud of being in the Forces). My unit's current recruiting strategy seems to be not working, as were experiencing a shortfall in recruiting numbers.

Anybody who has been to a really successful event, please post your experiences. Any recruiters, please post any suggestions you might have.

I know the CSS doesn't exactly provide as much of an appeal as say the Infantry, Artillery or other Combat Arms might, however any suggestions for events would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I've always felt recruiting could play a more active roll in high schools I went to a school with a reserve unit that had an office right in the school, and no one ever talked to us about the Forces, shame really, I would have joined then if someone would have turned me onto the idea. Most 18 yearolds these days don't have a clue what they want to do, the CF should be trying to get 'em young, an train 'em right. I also did some time at the local college and again no word of the forces, now I'm older and with wife and kids so my options are limited to the Pres.  If I was a CF recruiter I would definitely hit the trades and tech dept of community colleges, the students are quite mechanically incllined for related trades, I would also likely talk to students at a commercial driving school for those logistics jobs, as they likely enjoy the travelling involved with being in the CF, perhaps, (and I hate to say it but), a more American  :-\ style of recruiting.

:warstory: :salute: :cdn:

and of course if the recruiting office were say a bit more hmmm....quick!! that might help too

For major events, any setup that lets potential recruits actually talk to personel in the various trades, touch the equipment and hear what it's realy like is most efective.

As a Reserve recruiter you have to balance between the specific target audience of those you want to enrol right now, and gaining and maintaining the interest of those who may enrol next year, or the year after. The reserve unit I was with in my last posting had a very good recruiting record, they had achieved this over 5-8 years of employing a full-time Recruiting Sergeant. One of the Sergeant's main activities was visiting each of the local area high schools (all 16 of them) twice every year. Within a few years, each visit was met by young men and women who remembered him or his predecessor from previous visits, and already knew that they now met the criteria.

I would say, as a civilian still, be sure people know you're doing an event..  I learned there was an event in Vancouver on the news the night it was over..  Not very useful for someone who wanted to go there...

Newspapers, local TV add to announce that something is coming would be a good idea I think.

Frank

Keeping with the school visits, we've found that having a member that goes to that school present at the info booth or session really helps as well.  Usually at their level, they still have the "Civie mentality" and can talk to and relate easier to their peers.  Also, get in good favour with the guidance departments.  Most really don't know what he have to offer their students.  All they really know about the military is 1 or 2 times a years a CFRC guy comes to push this "elite" university that gives the kids a free education and gets them out of their hair.  They usually have no idea that there's a reserve unit(s) around that are geared for highschool/college kids.  Push the reimbursement, it really does well with guidance counsellors.

Try avoiding regular recruiting in the bigger malls and the like.  We find in Windsor that it only causes mass traffic jams with people whom want the free give aways (pens, bumper stickers etc...)  You also get the kids whom think they're big and bad, and taunt the recruiters.  This of course deters the seriously interested people whom are uncomfortable with asking questions.

Advertising regularly works well as well , if your bde has the money to spend on it.  In 31 CBG we're restricted to roughly $1200 a year for ads per unit.  Unfortunately the average ad here in Windsor costs around $1300.  If you talk with the other recruiters in the area you may be able to place multi unit ads, where you can get your units name and number out more frequently for the same price.

Use your Bde PAFFO and PA Plan to your advantage.  Invite the media to cover local ex's and such.  It's basically free ads, if you do it right.  Mention information nights, pay and the reimbursement program again.

Most importantly, remember that every member of your unit is a recruiter.   Brief them on the recruiting requirements and encourage them to help.  Bring in some kind of incentive program.  You'll find that there are going to be guys whom beg for for Cl A days to help, but never bring any one in to speak with you.  Avoid using them, but reward the guys whom do bring people in with Cl A employment where possible (Airshows, Hockey Games, basically the cool sh*t).

Take things one day at a time, or you'll be beating head against your computer in no time. :salute:

If you're wondering about how to make CSS appealing, just a thought, but thinking very recently to when I was in high-school, and when recruiters would come, I seem to recall that the local circus batallion always had the most popular displays, because they'd bring along an ML or somtimes even an HL. The opportunity to hop up in the cab was always great... it's a big green army truck... what could be cooler then that?

As a student currently enrolled in a highschool. The only time the CF visited our school was for RMC and to speak to first nations students about CF jobs. Now, out of the 70 first nations students in our school, only 6 showed. Our school is 550 in size, why dosnt the CF try and extract the talent out our school, its there you know.

Apocryphal story:

At some public gathering or event (a university?), a US army recruiter and a USMC recruiter had side by side displays. The army recruiting stand was well presented, with a colourful background display,  an abundance of informative brochoures detailing the various educational benefits and what not, and lots of kischty "ARMY" stickers, fridge magnets, etc. (sound familiar?) .
The USMC stand, on the other hand, consisted of a table, with a bored sgt (probably on extras) behind it and a small amount of reading material on various benefits, and a chin up bar. Potential recruits were told to hop on the chin up bar and pound off as many chin ups as they can. If the subject is not at a reasonable level of physical fitness, as judged by how many chin ups he/she could do, they were told politely that the Marine life probably wasn't for them, and that they might try the army instead.

Thoughts?

I would agree with Frank the Tank, I learn about different events after the fact, which don't help.

All so, I would think that you might have to start re-educating people about what the CSS is. Most people seem to think that the army is just Infantry and that covers everything about the army. 

I would say compile the most asked questions about the CSS and military life make them available not only online but in a little book form that can be passed around schools (high schools, colleges, University)

I always think that it would be nice to see a documentary on TV about joining the army and about the weeks in basic and job training making this available in public libraries and such     

Sending a couple members to local cadet units couldn't hurt.....

Last year at my squadron, we had a whole night reserved for recruiting...... 5 CF members (with very diversified careers...... SAR-techs, a former JTF2 guy, pilots.....) came in and talked to all 100 or so of us about their experiences in the military.  No pamphlets or anything, but it got a very positive reaction.

Alot of cadets are already halfway there to joining up..... a little nudge in the form of an hour's conversation and a few examples of cool equipment they'd get to see, and I think it could make a big difference.

aspiring_recruit said:
I've always felt recruiting could play a more active roll in high schools I went to a school with a reserve unit that had an office right in the school, and no one ever talked to us about the Forces, shame really, I would have joined then if someone would have turned me onto the idea. Most 18 yearolds these days don't have a clue what they want to do, the CF should be trying to get 'em young, an train 'em right. I also did some time at the local college and again no word of the forces, now I'm older and with wife and kids so my options are limited to the Pres.   If I was a CF recruiter I would definitely hit the trades and tech dept of community colleges, the students are quite mechanically incllined for related trades, I would also likely talk to students at a commercial driving school for those logistics jobs, as they likely enjoy the travelling involved with being in the CF, perhaps, (and I hate to say it but), a more American   :-\ style of recruiting.

:warstory: :salute: :cdn:

and of course if the recruiting office were say a bit more hmmm....quick!! that might help too

Thanks for your great ideas. We unfortunately can not have recruiting offices in schools, however we do have information sessions we hold for the Secondary School Students.

As for bringing the big green fleet (as we like to affectionately call it), its a great idea. Unfortunately, finding operators to move it is sometimes difficult, which is usually a key problem.

There has been a lot of debate on how to tackle recruiting methodologies. I've heard that the American system is better, with proactively getting into people's faces and then get them to sign up. However, as Love793 mentioned, you want the right type of member, the one who wants to be apart of the forces, and not one who's been convinced that it'd be a great idea, then change their mind (which has occured over the past several months).

To date I've attempted the following campaign ideas:
1. Mall Recruiting (Not very successful)
2. Information Sessions - High School Guidance Classes
3. HRDC and Job Support Agencies
4. Community Sponsors (ie: Lung Association, Heart & Stroke, Cancer Society)

From my understanding, there was an advertising ban in place before the Christmas holidays. However, if this has changed I'll be speaking with the PAFFO with our unit.

I really appreciate everyone's input.. keep it coming.

Thanks!

Earlam said:
Sending a couple members to local cadet units couldn't hurt.....

Last year at my squadron, we had a whole night reserved for recruiting...... 5 CF members (with very diversified careers...... SAR-techs, a former JTF2 guy, pilots.....) came in and talked to all 100 or so of us about their experiences in the military.   No pamphlets or anything, but it got a very positive reaction.

Alot of cadets are already halfway there to joining up..... a little nudge in the form of an hour's conversation and a few examples of cool equipment they'd get to see, and I think it could make a big difference.
That is actually an excellent idea. We had a speaking engagement with the local cadet unit (Army), unfortunately we seemed to have double booked with another event their Ops O had scheduled.

The biggest difficulty is getting the Cadets CO's permission. I've dispatched emails requesting that we go and speak with their members, but without much response at this time. Perhaps someone could give me some suggestions on some icebreakers I can utilize to speak with the COs of these units.

Thanks.

Huggy said:
I would agree with Frank the Tank, I learn about different events after the fact, which don't help.

All so, I would think that you might have to start re-educating people about what the CSS is. Most people seem to think that the army is just Infantry and that covers everything about the army.  

I would say compile the most asked questions about the CSS and military life make them available not only online but in a little book form that can be passed around schools (high schools, colleges, University)

I always think that it would be nice to see a documentary on TV about joining the army and about the weeks in basic and job training making this available in public libraries and such        

Hi Huggy & Frank:
Thanks for your suggestions. Your absolutely correct about re-educating the community. The CSS is sort of the forgotton area of the Canadian Forces, regardless of PRes or Reg F.

Huggy said:
-- Awesome suggestion. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Huggy said:
-- Our unit has been working on a video, once this is completed, i'll be putting it on our unit's website.

Sir currently I'm the 2Ic of recruiting at 25 (toronto) svc bn...

Right now we go out to high schools across the GTA. We bring displays and videos, hold information sessions on parade nights so people can come in, watch the intro to bmq video, see the types of training the unit does on parade nights. We are also attempting to post a person at CFRC Toronto. Other things we try to do is go out to malls, and events when many people can see us. I remember last year we were at the Man Show, and the motorcycle show. Currently our unit has a rewards program, that if a unit member brings in a recruit who finishes his bmq and his QL3's the unit will pay the member 50 dollars. The most important thing I believe is needed, is to have your  presence known in the local community, help out at events, etc... By doing that your unit gets more exposure, and you might even be able to setup and booth at the local event handing out recruiting flyers or telling people what your unit is all about.

In regards to your video,

Our unit has been working on a video, once this is completed, i'll be putting it on our unit's website.

I would love to see this once your done with it. If you could post your units website or just private message me how i can ascertain it that would be great.

Good Day CFN Orange,

You can reach our unit's website at www.26svcbn.com. I assist in the web development side of it, but the brunt of the work is handled by our Adj, MWO White.

I personally am responsible for the upkeep of the Supply & Transport Coy side of the website.

Give her a look, and any suggestions anyone could drop in would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

huggy
2Lt_Burgie
-- Our unit has been working on a video, once this is completed, i'll be putting it on our unit's website.

Sir. all things given I think just placing a video on a website is in no way an answer, I guess it may help. I was more of less thinking of public libraries, school libraries, all around Canadian and if your are in extreme need of numbers make a long video (say 1 hour in length) and place it in video stores (block buster) this way people that are thinking of enlisting can rent it for a cost which would keep all the other people from renting it for pure entertainment reasons.
I think making a good video is a reasonable help to this situation it would not only allow people to see what their getting into but shows them all the other things in the military not just running around with paint on your face holding a gun.
[added]
I am not disagreeing with what a lot if people are saying about going to high schools, I wish when I was in high school they came around, no one ever did.  But just going to schools of any sort and setting up a table and standing there, I kinda think it's a waste of time and money. If you have schools call you or pre-arrange a visit weeks before hand so students know about it, maybe put on a demonstration talking to the school and then answer questions, maybe making an effort to stick around for 2 days or at least the whole day doing more then just standing around, It would be more beneficial. I can remember in college we had a job fair and the military was there, again one table two troops vary little info there, when I went up to them, they were fast to offer me a small CD a little flyer and then they started talking to each other. Hmmm... I was not impressed. But again I stand behind my video idea, a video can tell you a lot more then little CD or a flyer.       
Bottom line in what you do, you have make a good effort in reaching people not so much in your face but go to places where people have time to stop and chat
-Not malls (that's one place I know some people are in and out as fast as possible) 
-Jobs fairs are ok but do more then stand around
-If you go to school, let more people know ahead of time
-Get the word out.
:cdn:

2Lt-Burgie
I've been in the recruit process for about 3 years.  About a year and a half ago my wife and I went to see a movie.  Before it started there was an "ad" for CF which ran about a minute. Typical video,soldiers, tanks, choppers and guns.  I thought it was great; I connected with it because I was in the process.  But talk about your captive audience. All ages,races,education levels,trades, and sexes. A buffed-up promo video in this environment, IMHO, would do more than any radio, TV promo, or print ad could ever do.

I'm always disheartened to see that I am more in touch with American recruitment than Canadian. I am always seeing National Guard, Marine, Navy videos on the television. Granted, I receive a lot of American networks, but the point is that I have seen one video ad for the CF in the past three years. Then, the US goes and makes their recruitment video games. I do not encourage our Forces to make anything like that, but we can do much more. My unit goes around to high schools usually twice a year, sets up in the cafeteria, and has at 'er. Not always successful, but you have to try. I remember my buddy me telling me that the unit got set up in...a winter fair of some sort. There were two demographics there. The seven year olds and the seventy year olds. Sure, they got their faces out, but this really was a useless/futile move. On my DP2A course, we marched from the armouries to a local park (in Barrie) for some contests/exercises on the C6, and even though it was -10 and snow was deep, we atrracted some crowds. Build it and they will come.

2Lt_Burgie said:
That is actually an excellent idea. We had a speaking engagement with the local cadet unit (Army), unfortunately we seemed to have double booked with another event their Ops O had scheduled.

The biggest difficulty is getting the Cadets CO's permission. I've dispatched emails requesting that we go and speak with their members, but without much response at this time. Perhaps someone could give me some suggestions on some icebreakers I can utilize to speak with the COs of these units.

Thanks.

Sir, try using your CO and Cadet LO.  If you don't have a LO, volunteer to act as the LO.  It has brought a lot of success for me down here.  Cadets are the best recruiting tool we have.

In my high school their was a "career week" in which all of the 11 and 12 students picked a few different things that they'd like to go see. The army was one of the choices and they had a information session in the common area which was without a doubt the most popular thing that students chose. They had a slide show and had a bunch of guys in the dress uniform. In the high school there is about 3000 kids and its a good bet that most of them were at the info session. They brought a bunch of the equipment and had different guys talking about what they did. Although it was geared toward the regs I don't know why a few primary reserve units couldn't get together and do something like this. Some kids do think the only job in the army is being infantry or driving a tank but you showed them what you acually do it would attract, say, people who don't want to be rambo but want the benifits.

Back