• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re: Disability on course - BMQ, QL, Trades, ect...[MERGED]

ModlrMike said:
BGen Jim Cox

We can probably close this thread now.  ::)

You had to do that didn't you??!!!  You should know better than to bring Voldemorte into the thread...

MM

Edited for addition and spelling

i was just looking for some insight into the matter is all not ridicule on closing the thread because its a stupid question

Tyler Valdal said:
i was just looking for some insight into the matter is all not ridicule on closing the thread because its a stupid question

There's no ridicule in my answer. The name provided answers your question: he has a stutter and rose to the rank of BGen. Question answered.

Tyler Valdal said:

This may help.

"Stuttering / Speech Impediments":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31660.0/nowap.html

Tyler,

Brig Gen Cox was a stutterer, but most folks that ran into him in the military either loved the man or really disliked him...I was one of the latter...hence the comments.

Again, as I said earlier, I've known lots of folks in the Service that stutter - the only career impediment it has, if any, is the one in your own mind.

Apologies for the silliness.

MM

Mike is completely correct, there are many people in the CF with a speech impediment of some sort. One of my best friends stutters quite severely. Basic training was not overly easy (according to him), but it's not exactly easy for anyone (that's kind of the point in Basic really). He is also now one of the best Warrant Officers I have had the pleasure of working with and is currently employed in a high profile position out of trade.

BGen Jimmy Cox was named to give you an example of what rank you could be reasonably expected to reach. The sky is the limit.

The fact BGen Cox was absolutely bat-**** crazy has nothing to do with the fact he stutters.

Tyler Valdal said:
So here is the thing I am 23 years old in College and currently thinking about my Career and where i want it to go. I have always thought i would be good in a military Career but have decided against it .

The reason is because i have a stutter , not a very bad on like most people think but a stutter none the less. Now my question is will this hamper my chances of getting into the army or having a military career at all.? Because of my Stutter i sometimes suffer from Anxiety in speaking in crowds or up front with some people.

I am really interested in joining the Military mainly the Army or Navy and any help in this topic i would greatly appreciate it

Tyler,

Do not prevent yourself from trying because you are worried about a stutter. Apply to the CF if that is your desire, give your best during Basic and see what happens! There are many folks in the CF with some form of speech impediment, myself included. The only limits it will impose are those you set upon yourself. You may even find that in military situations you speak just fine. If not, don't worry about it.

Cheers

T2B

I really don't want discourage anybody because level of stuttering is different from person to person.
But my experience was not easy.
Morning inspection - you must say:
"Officer-cadet XXXXXXX  (last 3 digits service number), name of trade , number of trade
is waiting for inspection Master Corporal."
Reports for me was issue, but maybe it is not question of stuttering.
I was scared by myself. Instructors were kind and nobody paid attention to my stuttering.
My opinion if person who stutters wish to join army- just do it with being courage and brave.

Im 17 and have wanted to join the CAF for a long time, however I stutter/stammer a bit when talking. Sometimes I can say a whole sentence without stuttering, then next thing you know, i can't. I originally wanted to go for Legal Officer or Military Police as I am very interested in Law, but I do realize that those careers do require perfect english skills, so I have decided to go for Weapons Technician. Also with a speech impediment, is it still possible to raise up to leadership ranks overtime [20-40 years]? (MCpl, Sgt, etc?). Im hoping to do some speech counselling which may help reduce it a bit? Also, is this something that may get me targeted by staff during basic?

I can't give you an official answer but I've seen a handful of people with various degrees of speech issues like you mentioned, including an MP (military police) who's doing very well for himself.

If you want to be a lawyer or MP go for it.  It also shouldn't affect your leadership or promotions.

My brigade commander a number of years had a horrible stutter...I wouldn't worry too much.

MM

Well, someone has already pointed you to the larger consolidated thread about stutters and stammers.  It won't be long before these posts are added to that thread.  If this reenergizes discussion about the issue it won't be long before someone mentions a well known and beloved (hah) inspector of socks, wool, grey who also had a speech impediment.  You can make your own judgement if it impaired his career.  http://www.macdonaldlaurier.ca/about/who-is-involved/james-cox/  And if you want to hear what he sounds like you can try http://en.video.canoe.tv/search/james%20cox/more-support/1269122447001  He didn't always speak as clearly.

Blackadder1916 said:
Well, someone has already pointed you to the larger consolidated thread about stutters and stammers.  It won't be long before these posts are added to that thread.  If this reenergizes discussion about the issue it won't be long before someone mentions a well known and beloved (hah) inspector of socks, wool, grey who also had a speech impediment.  You can make your own judgement if it impaired his career.  http://www.macdonaldlaurier.ca/about/who-is-involved/james-cox/  And if you want to hear what he sounds like you can try http://en.video.canoe.tv/search/james%20cox/more-support/1269122447001  He didn't always speak as clearly.

Did he seriously inspect peoples socks?

The issue socks of the day had a coloured thread woven into the toe. Apparently the overriding indication of one's military ability was being able to sort your socks so you had the same colour on each foot.

Aaron97 said:
1) Im 17 and have wanted to join the CAF for a long time, however I stutter/stammer a bit when talking.

2) I originally wanted to go for Legal Officer or Military Police as I am very interested in Law, but I do realize that those careers do require perfect english skills, so I have decided to go for Weapons Technician.

3) Also with a speech impediment, is it still possible to raise up to leadership ranks overtime [20-40 years]? (MCpl, Sgt, etc?).

4) Also, is this something that may get me targeted by staff during basic?

1) I did.  I had a stutter when I was commissioned.  It was never a hindrance in my short and undistinguished career.  My last CO had a worse stutter than I did.

2) After my military time I worked in law enforcement and intelligence for 30 years.  Again, it was never a hindrance.  Worked with other stutterers many times.  It's more common than you think.  Something to do with type A personalities, I think.  I've also worked with lispers, hare lipped people and those who pronounce their r's as w's.  I've never heard of anyone being held back because of a speech impediment.  If you're good at what you do it won't matter.

By the way, lawyers don't need (and most don't have) perfect English skills.  Don't be too impressed with lawyers.  They're just like everyone else.  Go for the career you want, not what you think you're only worthy of.

3) Winston Churchill had a lisp and a stutter.  You can rise to be CDS.

4) I'm not saying it won't, but it didn't happen to me.  I've heard of it happening to others, but in my experience if anyone is taking the mickey with you it's because you're one of the team.  One of the lads, so don't take offence.  If someone's being a jerk about it, don't worry.  It's not the first jerk you've met and it won't be the last.

Good luck with your career.  Again, choose the career you want.

Cheers,
Dan.

Back