• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re: Disability on course - BMQ, QL, Trades, ect...[MERGED]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I would guess that Pilots would need above average mathematics due to the fact you have to be able to calculate the altitude/landing and so on if auto pilot or any navigation systems were to break down

Dimsum said:
To answer your question, if you decided not to search through the pages of info about Pilot:  Yes, any degree program will do.

He wouldn't have even had to go through those pages. He answered his question when he quoted from the Forces site: "now hiring university students and graduates from all degree programs". Not sure how that left a question as to which degrees may be accepted.

Zombie said:
He wouldn't have even had to go through those pages. He answered his question when he quoted from the Forces site: "now hiring university students and graduates from all degree programs". Not sure how that left a question as to which degrees may be accepted.

I was just re-stating the plethora of information contained within these "pages".  ^-^

From my understanding with the trade of pilot, being adequate in the application process may not cut it, being above average or excelling in would be a better terminology strive for.

Start TODAY, do not wait until Monday, or After midterms, or after XXXX time to improve yourself.

If Math is a weakness, work harder in it, get tutors, help, etc.

If you need inspiration just do a search online for inspirational stories, you'll find a slew of people that were told "they can't" do something or have a certain career and that just pushed them even harder to get that career.

Bart905 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I would guess that Pilots would need above average mathematics due to the fact you have to be able to calculate the altitude/landing and so on if auto pilot or any navigation systems were to break down

Okay, you're wrong. In practical terms (enrollment prerequisites aside), there is nothing required beyond learning a few simple formulae and being able to make these calculations in one's head. It's so simple - even a pilot can do it.

Loachman said:
It's so simple - even a pilot can do it.
Amen to that - math was/is my weakest subject.  As long as I can add/subtract, I am golden.

I guess I was meaning more on the Admission requirements rather then what the pilot trade needs.
I assume that the higher number of applicants = higher than minimum standards for enrollment?

As in Billy and Johny are both adequate applicants for pilot, Billy exceeds the minimum requirements for enrollment where as Johny meets the minimum standards.  Billy will be chosen over Johny no matter how long Johny is in the system for?

I applied for pilot as one choice, have exceptional math skills and rated high on the CFAT(suitable for anything as per the recruiter), but I require corrective lenses and currently have -2.75 in each eye.  Genetics does me in for the choice as I don't believe the CF takes candidates for Pilot with corrective laser surgery?

SentryMAn said:
I guess I was meaning more on the Admission requirements rather then what the pilot trade needs.
I assume that the higher number of applicants = higher than minimum standards for enrollment?

As in Billy and Johny are both adequate applicants for pilot, Billy exceeds the minimum requirements for enrollment where as Johny meets the minimum standards.  Billy will be chosen over Johny no matter how long Johny is in the system for?

I would hope this is the case for anything that has an application process.

SentryMAn said:
  Genetics does me in for the choice as I don't believe the CF takes candidates for Pilot with corrective laser surgery?

Wrong.

I and 3 others on my aircrew selection had it, and I'm sure more than a few others have made it all the way through the training system by now.  The policy changed in 2008.

SentryMAn said:
but would Johny ever be accepted?

I am neither a pilot nor a recruiter, but why would they take someone with lesser credentials? Assuming of course, all else is equal.

Melbatoast said:
Wrong.

I and 3 others on my aircrew selection had it, and I'm sure more than a few others have made it all the way through the training system by now.  The policy changed in 2008.

Understandable, it may have been prior to the change that I was taking to a recruiter about pilot.  I remember there being issues with night blindness with the original procedure for corrective lens surgery(rumors, never confirmed so don't slice and dice me on this).

Looks like I'll be saving my pennies from now on to get the surgery, I've always wanted to fly Helicopters.
:)

Tape, I am sure you would make a fine pilot.  It sure sounds like you are over-qualified now.  But the big question is "Can you play beach volleyball with dudes?"  8)

I would think Flight Engineer may be a bit out of your league however...  >:D

SentryMAn said:
(rumors, never confirmed so don't slice and dice me on this).

But it would be so much fun.  Suffice to say it's much more complicated than that - "night blindness" is easy to screen out.

Melbatoast said:
But it would be so much fun.  Suffice to say it's much more complicated than that - "night blindness" is easy to screen out.

I've been sliced and diced enough in the last few days at work, "Yearly Performance reviews" are a bitch.

HeavyHooker said:
Tape, I am sure you would make a fine pilot.  It sure sounds like you are over-qualified now.  But the big question is "Can you play beach volleyball with dudes?"  8)

I would think Flight Engineer may be a bit out of your league however...  >:D

LOL, thanks. Yes, I can haha, volleyball is a fun sport.

I emailed them (Canadian Forces) and I will be waiting for a reply

So here is the thing I am 23 years old in College and currently thinking about my Career and where i want it to go. I have always thought i would be good in a military Career but have decided against it .

The reason is because i have a stutter , not a very bad on like most people think but a stutter none the less. Now my question is will this hamper my chances of getting into the army or having a military career at all.? Because of my Stutter i sometimes suffer from Anxiety in speaking in crowds or up front with some people.

I am really interested in joining the Military mainly the Army or Navy and any help in this topic i would greatly appreciate it

I've known lots of folks that stutter in the CF - doubt it will be an issue.

MM

BGen Jim Cox

We can probably close this thread now.  ::)

Back