• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re: Disability on course - BMQ, QL, Trades, ect...[MERGED]

geo said:
Seriously though.... what kind of disability is it?

I have A.D.H.D. (attention deficit hyperactive disorder) and Non-verbal Learning disorder (something about i learn by hearing best)

dont.get.it.48 said:
I have A.D.H.D. (attention deficit hyperactive disorder) and Non-verbal Learning disorder (something about i learn by hearing best)

Do you take medication for the ADHD?

muffin

dont.get.it.48 said:

I don't think you would be alone in the CF with Adult ADHD. You should know that the stresses of CF life can *sometimes* aggravate the symptoms of ADHD and result in other comorbidities.

Anywhere from 2-4% of the adult population has ADHD, I would estimate that due to certain characteristics of ADHD, that that fraction is slightly higher in the CF (ie attraction to risk).

There are lots of successful adults who have been diagnosed with ADHD. If you can manage your condition then you should try applying. Good luck!

dont.get.it.48 said:
hey,
how much does it hurt you during the recruiting proses if you have some learning disabilities?

thank you for all your help
Nick

The best thing you can do is talk to the recruiters themselves.  I don't know if you were in fact diagnosed with NLD but I do know that NLD psychological profile is often confused with ADHD, as hyperactivity is seen in either disorder.  Your doctor should be able to provide them with your personal information, providing you have one.

All the best!

I believe I read somewhere that you cannot be on Ritalin and join the forces. So if you currently take that, you will have to wait until a point where you well-being does not depend on it, and you can go without.

muffin said:
Do you take medication for the ADHD?

muffin

I take aderal every morning for my A.D.H.D.

my N.L.D. i heard was some disorder were doctor's and everything thought if you had it u were mentally disabled and put you in a mentally disabled program at school. but a couple of years ago they found out it was just a learning disorder like any other normal one (ex. A.D.D.)

double0three said:
I believe I read somewhere that you cannot be on Ritalin and join the forces. So if you currently take that, you will have to wait until a point where you well-being does not depend on it, and you can go without.

Did you read that on the...I dont know how to put it... "The what drugs have you done in your entire life Quiz" during the recruiting process, because thats for non-prescription medication, the person who gave the quiz told me, if its been prescribed then its a question for the person doing your medical.

however, if you are prescribed it and are not illegally taking it, then I would suggest to ask the person doing your medical.

Papke said:
Did you read that on the...I dont know how to put it... "The what drugs have you done in your entire life Quiz" during the recruiting process, because thats for non-prescription medication, the person who gave the quiz told me, if its been prescribed then its a question for the person doing your medical.

however, if you are prescribed it and are not illegally taking it, then I would suggest to ask the person doing your medical.

And your point is?

I wanted your guys opinion on a subject which is worrying me. I'm going out for reg force Infantry, i've passed my cfat, interview, and medical exam. My recruiter told me that i'd get my BMQ date by last friday at the latest, but that never came. So i called him and asked him whats up, he says that Ottawa is still looking at my medical information and he doesn't know how long it will take. My worry is this, i have a speech impediment(stutter), my recruiter who did my interview and the doctor who did my medical exam said that this shouldn't be a problem for me wanting Infantry as my trade(because it's not that bad, and i can keep it under control). But the fact that they're still considering my medical is kind of scaring me, there is a chance i could be denied because of my speech.

So my question is, if i was asked to pick another trade, what would be one where i'd have to do less talking, where communication wouldn't be a huge deal.
My first 3 choices were Infantry, armored, and combat engineer.

I'll be asking my recruiter this same question, but he's been very busy lately and i thought i'd get your opinion on it aswell.

i spent alot of my time as a combat engineer on radios so its no different than armour or infantry

...but like CSA said.....

I actually met a really successful Comm Res Officer a few months back, he had a really, really strong stutter. I don't think it will be an issue.

I've known MPs who stuttered...

...like CSA said...

Try looking at this thread Stuttering / Speech Impediments 

There have been a lot of very successful soldiers (in many different trades) who have had speech impediments.  Trying to find a trade where communication isn't a big deal is like trying to find a nun who doesn't proclaim her chastity. 

kr1kit said:
I wanted your guys opinion on a subject which is worrying me. I'm going out for reg force Infantry, i've passed my cfat, interview, and medical exam. My recruiter told me that i'd get my BMQ date by last friday at the latest, but that never came.

So my question is, if i was asked to pick another trade, what would be one where i'd have to do less talking, where communication wouldn't be a huge deal.
My first 3 choices were Infantry, armored, and combat engineer.

I'll be asking my recruiter this same question, but he's been very busy lately and i thought i'd get your opinion on it aswell.

I will first give you three caveats about my advice.  I am not infantry, I am not a recruiter and I am not a doctor.  I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night.  All that being said, I've been in the Army for some time and have worked with just about every trade.  I like your choices by the way.  The Army is about people and every rank and trade has personal interactions that use speech.

I have a stammer.  Despite that I give briefings, presentations, talk on the radio, O Gps, interviews, teach lessons and so forth and somehow I get by.  I know many others in the same boat.    Bottom line, try not to sweat it.  You speech is what it is.  I believe that people will care more about what you say rather than whether you stutter or stammer. 

Your file may be held up for any number of medical reasons.  You want to find out soonest, no doubt, but try not to worry right now about things that you cannot control.  I know its frustrating but wait and see what happens while still remaining engaged in the process. 

Cheers

2B

ahh thanks everyone for your help, i appreciate it, you've eased my worrying for now.

I'll post back if i find out anymore info on why it's being held back.

when I was at Gagetown the G1 (a LCOL Infantry) had a very pronounced stutter when he spoke one on one but not so much when he spoke in public. He was a great guy and had a very successful career. I believe he retired since then with at least 30 years service.

I am gonna go out on a limb and say no as you don't meet the Universality of Service.

Back