• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP raid Conservative party headquarters over election matter

Who called the media?  I am not sure if the folks not living in Ottawa realize this but Conservative Party headquarters is right across the street from a lot of press outlets.  It could have been a matter as simple as media people pondering what the commotion was at CPC headquarters and why the police and Elections Canada where there.  This is a 5 minute walk from Liberal Party headquarters which could explain why they were there as someone in the media could have tipped them off.  This is but one explanation.   

This battle between Harper and Elections Canada has been going on for years (at least 8 years) and is not limited to the discussion of the in and out for national television ads.  Harper actually took Elections Canada to the Supreme Court before becoming PM when he was president of the NCC Harper v.Canada_(Attorney_General).  Needless to say, there is a lot of bad blood between Harper and Elections Canada.

OK?

In the 2005-06 election campaign, the Conservatives' national headquarters transferred money to 67 local candidates - who immediately transferred it back as "payment" for campaign advertising.

???

Looks like a common business accounting practice to me.  The Government Bureaucracy conducts business like this on a daily basis.  They give a Federal Department a Budget to purchase things, which that Dept will in turn pay back to the Government through Supply and Services when they purchase something.

It is an "Accounting Practise" that probably found in many businesses to "account" for all their expenses and incomes.

stegner said:
Who called the media?  I am not sure if the folks not living in Ottawa realize this but Conservative Party headquarters is right across the street from a lot of press outlets.   It could have been a matter as simple as media people pondering what the commotion was at CPC headquarters and why the police and Elections Canada where there.  This is a 5 minute walk from Liberal Party headquarters which could explain why they were there as someone in the media could have tipped them off.   This is but one explanation.   

You make it sound like the SWAT Team and a Brigade of Police Cars surrounded the building.  I am sure a couple of people in "Suits" would not attract the attention you are alluding to.

sgf said:
Interesting Article in todays Globe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080416.wtorieslayer16/BNStory/Front

Hasnt been the best of weeks for Harper, I wonder how this latest is going to help his polling numbers

Harper's worst week is still way better than Dion's best week.

If you're going to add something to the thread, please do. The article was fine, at least make a credible and educated comment on it. If you're going to post drive-by one liners, that add nothing, find somewhere else to play.

stegner said:
Who called the media?  I am not sure if the folks not living in Ottawa realize this but Conservative Party headquarters is right across the street from a lot of press outlets.   It could have been a matter as simple as media people pondering what the commotion was at CPC headquarters and why the police and Elections Canada where there.  This is a 5 minute walk from Liberal Party headquarters which could explain why they were there as someone in the media could have tipped them off.   This is but one explanation.     

This battle between Harper and Elections Canada has been going on for years (at least 8 years) and is not limited to the discussion of the in and out for national television ads.   Harper actually took Elections Canada to the Supreme Court before becoming PM when he was president of the NCC Harper v.Canada_(Attorney_General).  Needless to say, there is a lot of bad blood between Harper and Elections Canada.

Explanation it may be, but it's so big a stretch as to not even be considered.

You make it sound like the SWAT Team and a Brigade of Police Cars surrounded the building.  I am sure a couple of people in "Suits" would not attract the attention you are alluding to.

As I said it is but one explanation.  It is not necessarily the best.

Ralph Goodale has explained that the problem is a little more complex. In fact, there are two separate issues.
http://watch.ctv.ca/news/clip45871#clip45871

I also find it...ludicrous?  that the MSM is calling this a 'raid'.
What would you call it?  A minor execution of search warrant?

Only lawyers and bureaucrats could care so much about which pile of money was spent for what based on some arbitrary rules. Ads will allways have both national/local benefits and if they want to shuffle money or ad spends around to their benefit who cares.

DBA said:
Only lawyers and bureaucrats could care so much about which pile of money was spent for what based on some arbitrary rules. Ads will allways have both national/local benefits and if they want to shuffle money or ad spends around to their benefit who cares.

No, I care,.....if there are rules in place for spending then I want those rules to be followed by those whom wish to govern us by the rules WE have put in place.

Having said that, I agree with RG, this was as much a photo-op between the Liberal Party, or others, and Elections Canada, that non-biased organization, than anything thats ever been done before.

THIS warrants an investigation......

EDIT: added in the 'or others' [ don't want to be like some in these forums who lose common sense when they put on the blinders]

A raid??

.......are you telling me my ex-work partner raids 25 to 30 places a day?? ::)

Wow, no wonder he looks tired......... 8)

Only lawyers and bureaucrats could care so much about which pile of money was spent for what based on some arbitrary rules

Arbitrary?  Hardly.  That's like calling the National Defence Act a bunch of arbitrary rules.  This issue goes to the matter of following the rule of law (Elections Act) in Canada.  At this point we don't know who is in the right, Elections Canada or the Conservatives that will be decided in the courts. 

There is a photo on page A4 of the print edition of today's National Post showing a person in civilian clothes (winbeaker), identified as the RCMP officer who 'assisted' Elections Canada, knocking on the door of Site 1204 at 130 Albert Street, presumably to gain entry for the first time. He is being filmed by at least two TV cameras which must have arrived with him. It appears to me that someone alerted the media before the "raid" - otherwise, how did the cameras get there so very fast?

So my question remains: who called the media and why?

---------
PS: I know the building/area quite well, for nearly ten years after I retired from he military my office used to be just steps away from 130 Albert. Marked RCMP cars on Albert Street would not merit any particular attention and, given the speed of elevators in that building and neighbouring buildings that house some media outlets, there is no way, none at all, that journalists saw something intersting and sprinted across the street. They were tipped off.

More information on the story.....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080416.TORIES16/TPStory/National

Mr. Campbell-on reflection you are correct.  In fact there are tons of RCMP in the area going to and from Parliament.  In fact,  you can't really walk down the Sparks Street Mall or Metcalfe without seeing a cruiser or an officer.  I withdraw my earlier comments on the media observing as they been proven false. 

Rodahn said:
More information on the story.....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080416.TORIES16/TPStory/National

"The Conservative Party initiated court action against Elections Canada some time ago on the advertising issue. I also would observe that tomorrow Elections Canada officials were scheduled to be examined by lawyers from the Conservative Party," Mr. Harper told Parliament during the daily Question Period yesterday.

sgf said:
If this wasnt a raid, what was it?

Enough!!........I try to see both sides in my role as a Mod here but you are but one of my nerves away from being gone.

You want a raid? Phone 911 and say you have hostages and a gun...you will see a raid.

Folks,
Back on the actual topic......not some stupid word game from those with an agenda but a severe lack of LEO worldship.

Back