• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP raid Conservative party headquarters over election matter

Rodahn

Inactive
Reaction score
http://start.shaw.ca/start/enCA/News/NationalNewsArticle.htm?src=n041527A.xml

OTTAWA - RCMP officers raided Conservative party headquarters in Ottawa on Tuesday at the request of Elections Canada.

Elections commissioner William Corbett asked the Mounties to execute a search warrant, but officials wouldn't say why.

"I can confirm that the commissioner of Elections Canada has requested the assistance of the RCMP in the execution of a search warrant," said spokesman John Enright.

"The commissioner has no further comment."

Elections Canada and the Conservative party have been engaged in a protracted legal battle over alleged campaign spending irregularities from the 2006 election.

At least two Mounties searched party offices on the 12th floor of a downtown building as camera crews filmed outside. A short time later, two officers rolled a cart full of boxes and bags into a 17th-floor mailroom.

Andre Thouin, an elections official, left later with a box of documents.

Corbett launched an investigation in April 2007 into $1.2-million worth of Conservative election television and radio advertising that was challenged by Chief Electoral Officer Marc Mayrand.

Mayrand refused to reimburse Conservative candidates for part of the advertising money when they claimed it as local expenses. The ads were produced for the party's national campaign, which has a separate limit for election spending.

The Conservatives insist the transactions were legal but Elections Canada disagrees and opposition parties have labelled the scheme outright fraud.

Some campaign officials told the elections watchdog that the scheme was referred to as the "in-and-out" plan.

Under the plan, party headquarters would send as much as $50,000 in cash to candidates across the country. The candidates would then give the money back to headquarters, claiming they were paying for advertising.

In some cases, the advertising was virtually identical to national ads, the only difference being a tag line that listed a series of local candidates.

RCMP Cpl. Jean Hainey said the Mounties were merely assisting: "It is not an RCMP investigation. We're there to assist, but that's it."

He would not provide any other details.

No one from the party was immediately available for comment and phone calls to the headquarters went unanswered.

An aide to the party's lawyer, Paul Lepsoe, said he was in a meeting and unable to return calls.

Election Canada's lawyer, Barbara McIssac, was also unavailable.

The Prime Minister's Office referred questions to the party.

Soon after Corbett launched his investigation, the Conservatives went to Federal Court in an attempt to force Mayrand to reimburse the expenses to 67 Conservative candidates.

That case has not yet reached a hearing stage, with the party and Elections Canada still filing evidentiary briefs.

NDP Leader Jack Layton said the raid is a result of the Conservatives' "culture of secrecy."

"Mr. Harper promised transparency, a different kind of open government, and yet when it comes to something this fundamental, the doors have apparently been closed to Elections Canada and they've had to call in the police.

"It just shows you why you can't trust the government of Stephen Harper."

"opposition parties have labelled the scheme outright fraud. "

The pot has called the kettle black, me thinks.....
Hell hath no fury like a Liberal scorned.....

OldSolduer said:

Opposition seem to try to make that a criminal matter also, as a MP of the opposition
asked, on the "question period" if the conservatives remembers that RCMP doesn't investigate civil matter
(trying to make the search warrant assistance into something that is in the criminal realm laws, not the civil laws).

OldSolduer said:

Ummm just a small point, but the article does state "Opposition parties" not the Liberals. It may very well be one, or all of them that are stating such.

I can see this becoming a much larger problem for the Conservatives though, based upon the results of the investigation.

If anyone knows scandels and fraud it would be the liberals, they have so much expearience at it.

This does real, measurable damage to the Conservative brand and to Harper's reputation for honesty.

It doesn't matter if there is fire; the smoke is enough for the press and the public. Remember how the RCMP statement re: investigating Ralph Goodale and unnamed Finance officials did real, measurable damage to the Liberal campaign.

This can, probably will die down, maybe it will even go away, but it should reduce Harper's enthusiasm for an election.

Two Mounties showing a warrant and asking for, and receiving documentation, hardly constitues a raid in my books. Yes it looks bad, but it's more someone playing politics methinks. Harper's not stupid. I'm pretty sure the CPC feels they were on pretty solid legal footing for the decision. We'll have to wait till the investigation shows. I'm not going to speculate and cast any dispersions, until something more concrete is proven.

As been shown many other times, the opposition parties and MSM should do the same, else they may end up wearing this one too.

However, I do find the highlighted portions interesting. Camera crews, including the liberals, were already there when the warrant arrived. Yep, no politics being played here ::)

The Mounties also didn't execute the warrant, the Elections Commisioner did. The Queen's Cowboys were only there to assist. Pretty standard, I think, when non LEO execute a warrant.

The warrant thing may be a little blown out of proportion also. I think if the Elections Commisioner thinks he has Reasonable and Probable Grounds to procede, he can no longer gather information from the party premises without the warrant. So it's just procedure, so the evidence doesn't get tossed from the trial. Not really sure if federal law is the same as provincial, but it makes sense.

This is starting to sound like so much hyperboyle when it's picked apart. Taken in whole, with a quick read, it sounds like the crime of the century (we know it's not). Reading between the lines, the parts do not equal the sum.

Mounties search Tory headquarters
Last Updated: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 | 12:09 PM ET Comments89Recommend231CBC News
RCMP searched Conservative party headquarters in Ottawa on Tuesday at the request of Elections Canada.

Elections Canada spokesman John Enright confirmed that elections commissioner William Corbett requested the assistance of the Mounties to execute a search warrant, but he wouldn't say why.
Camera crews, including one from the Liberal party, were on hand as police arrived at the downtown building.
CBC News first reported RCMP officers were seen in the 12th-floor party offices and the 17th-floor mailroom. An elections official later left with a box of documents.

RCMP Cpl. Jean Hainey said the Mounties were merely assisting.

"It is not an RCMP investigation. We're there to assist, but that's it."
Conservative party spokesman Ryan Sparrow had no comment as he entered the headquarters and the Prime Minister's Office referred questions to the party.

Elections Canada is probing Conservative party spending for advertisements during the 2006 parliamentary election campaign. Corbett, who enforces the Elections Canada Act, launched an investigation in April 2007 after chief electoral officer Marc Mayrand challenged the spending claims.

Money sent to local offices
The Conservative Party of Canada, having reached the $18.3-million advertising spending limit set out under the Canada Elections Act, transferred cash to 66 local campaign offices.

The local campaigns sent the money back to national party headquarters to buy local television and radio advertisements for their candidates.

Elections Canada says the advertisements produced through the local offices didn't qualify as local spending because they were too similar to national ads. The ads looked exactly the same as the national ads, except for small print or the names of the individual candidates.

Financial agents for some of the Conservative candidates later asked to be reimbursed for those expenses. Candidates who get 10 per cent of the votes in their riding get a portion of their election expenses returned from Elections Canada.

Elections Canada refused, saying the party paid for the ads, not the candidates.

The Conservatives maintain they didn't break any rules.

Opposition politicians refer to it as an "in-and-out" scheme.

Soon after Corbett launched his investigation, the Conservatives went to Federal Court in an attempt to force Mayrand to reimburse the expenses to the Conservative candidates. That case has not yet reached a hearing stage, with the party and Elections Canada still filing evidentiary briefs.

http://ww
w.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/04/15/rcmp-tories.html?ref=rss

No matter what slant one puts on this there is a problem for the conservative party, based upon the non partisan, unbiased investigation by the elections commissioner...

Rodahn said:
No matter what slant one puts on this there is a problem for the conservative party, based upon the non partisan, unbiased investigation by the elections commissioner...

So I wonder who leaked he'd be serving the warrant, so all the press, including the libs could be there? I know when I serve a warrant or summons, no one knows exactly when I'm doing it until I show up at the door.

I suppose I could also check, but I'm too lazy. Who appointed the Election Commisioner, and when?

No doubt that there's a lot of propoganda and spin being tossed into this to make the Conservtive party look as bad as possible while the opportunity exists...

Greymatters said:
No doubt that there's a lot of propoganda and spin being tossed into this to make the Conservtive party look as bad as possible while the opportunity exists...

Are you new to politics? Whenever there is a chance to make the opposition look bad it will be taken, whether by the Conservatives or Liberals. It would make Dion look like more of a fool if he didn't take this opportunity to do so when there "might" be some concrete evidence of wrong doing rather than condemning Harper and the Conservatives for grainy videotapes and unclear recordings.

No opposition party gains ground by letting possible indiscretions go by the wayside. The Conservatives criticize at every chance, the Liberals do, the NDP do, and the Bloc do.

recceguy said:
So I wonder who leaked he'd be serving the warrant, so all the press, including the libs could be there? I know when I serve a warrant or summons, no one knows exactly when I'm doing it until I show up at the door.

EXACTLY what I was thinking.  Something stinks here, and it's not my socks!

Rodahn said:

Why??

I was searched at the airport in Ottawa last month. Didn't make me guilty of a single thing. I'm sure buddy was being pretty unbiased too in choosing me to search. Alas, my reputation is not ruined, nor have I been charged, nor do I expect to be. Then again -- no one from the Liberal party showed up in advance knowing that search of me was about to occur -- guess I don't make for good "unbiased" political fodder.  ;)

This could actually be turned around by the Conservatives to be in their favour as just another Liberal ploy and attempt to "create scandal out of nothing" ... seeing as how (as Recceguy has already pointed out) that same "UNBIASED" Elections Commissioner just happened to have dropped a hint to the Liberals that they should maybe want their cameras situated outside the door when the 'unbiased & unifluenced' warrant was served and the raid conducted. Whatever. The fact that they were there with their cameras removes absolutely ALL previous notions that I may have harboured about elections Canada and their supposed "unbiasedness".

recceguy said:
I suppose I could also check, but I'm too lazy. Who appointed the Election Commisioner, and when?

http://www.elections.ca/intro.asp?section=ceo&document=index&lang=e

ArmyVern said:
Why??

This could actually be turned around by the Conservatives to be in their favour as just another Liberal ploy and attempt to "create scandal out of nothing" ... seeing as how (as Recceguy has already pointed out) that same "UNBIASED" Elections Commissioner just happened to have dropped a hint to the Liberals that they should maybe want their cameras situated outside the door when the 'unbiased & unifluenced' warrant was served and the raid conducted. Whatever. The fact that they were there with their cameras removes absolutely ALL previous notions that I may have harboured about elections Canada and their supposed "unbiasedness".

In my view, even the perception of wrong doing by the Conservatives, could have a negative impact on the undecided populace.

Also it is conjecture that it was the Elections Commissioner Mr. Maynard, that announced the serving of the warrant, it may very well have been somebody from his staff, with or without his permission. We just do not know. If it were a member of the staff, then they should be looking for employment elsewhere IMO.

Rodahn said:
In my view, even the perception of wrong doing by the Conservatives, could have a negative impact on the undecided populace. Also it is conjecture that it was the Elections Commissioner Mr. Maynard, that announced the serving of the warrant, it may very well have been somebody from his staff, with or without his permission. We just do not know. If it were a member of the staff, then they should be looking for employment elsewhere IMO.

...which sounds to me like the entire purpose of this action, but I am no political expert.  This, combined with other 'major' news of yesterday, will likely be jumped on by the Libs and crackheads NDP.   ::)

I hear the words scandal, cover up, and 'resignation of ____' starting and think I will avoid CTV/CBC today.

I can appreciate that some officials in Elections Canada (and some in the CPC) feel strongly about their ongoing dispute. It is common for people to go beyond being ‘seized’ with an issue and to get ‘captured’ by it. It is very likely that an official in Elections Canada believed, maybe still believes that the CPC is withholding documents that are germane to their dispute. Elections Canada has the legal authority to issue search warrants and they have an equal right to call upon the RCMP to assist them – just rather like a provincial attorney general can call out the troops.

It’s a civil lawsuit over a pretty substantial issue – for all political parties. Most people are convinced that election financing rules need to be clear – not open to creative interpretation – and simple so that Canadians can understand that their money (because we do have publicly financed elections) is being used ‘properly.’ One can understand the passions this case might arouse.

What I have trouble with is: who called the media?

I had the same trouble when, in the middle of an election campaign, the RCMP named former Finance Minister Ralph Goodale in a letter to NDP MP Judy Wasylycia-Leis. I didn’t (still don't) blame Ms. Wasylycia-Leis for making the letter public, nor do I blame the RCMP for answering her original request for information in a timely manner; but why, I continue to wonder, did former Commissioner  Giuliano Zaccardelli decide it was necessary to name Goodale? There was a proper investigation ongoing regarding someone in the Department of Finance who may have done something wrong re: the income rusts fiasco, but was it really ‘proper’ to name Goodale?

There is no doubt in my mind that the Conservatives (the party in which I hold membership and which I support financially) benefited from the Zaccardelli letter. I also have no doubt that the Liberals benefit from the timely arrival off the press to publicize the execution of the search warrant.

Interesting Article in todays Globe

A closer look at the 'in and out' scheme
CAMPBELL CLARK

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

April 16, 2008 at 4:15 AM EDT

OTTAWA — The Conservatives are under investigation for an "in and out" scheme, under which the party allegedly funnelled money through the local election campaigns of individual Tory candidates so they could spend more on their national campaign.

In the 2005-06 election campaign, the Conservatives' national headquarters transferred money to 67 local candidates - who immediately transferred it back as "payment" for campaign advertising.

Elections Canada has said the money was really spent by the national party on its national advertising campaign and only made to look like a local expense in the books.

Opposition parties say the scheme allowed Stephen Harper's Conservatives to exceed national campaign-spending limits by more than $1-million - and that it also allowed local Tory candidates to claim taxpayer-financed election refunds for spending on advertising that was really to help the national campaign.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080416.wtorieslayer16/BNStory/Front

Hasnt been the best of weeks for Harper, I wonder how this latest is going to help his polling numbers

Back