• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting Policy-Out of Canada (OUTCAN) [MERGED]

G'DAY !  my husband and i have been told we are posted to colorado springs this APS.we have a few questions and hope some or more can be answered :)

1. will i (spouse)  be able to work?
2. allowances ? amounts if available?
3. what is the difference in rent ceiling and rent share?
4. can we get a PMQ on base as a canadian?
5. are you allowed to leave canada with debt?
6. can we take 3 motor vehicles? 2car 1 motorcycle?
7. autism services?
8. tax prep?

any added info is sure welcomed as we are both super excited to go ! we arejust a little blind at the moment :)

Congrats! There is a thread here, I think it's called "Outcan postings and everything that goes with it"
I found it very useful. The one I can answer is rent share is what you will pay, it comes off your pay and is based on your family size and what it would cost in Ottawa (I think based on a pmq). Rent ceiling is the max that your rental property can cost (or the max that the crown will pay). You will get a deposit around the 24th ish of each month for the cost of your rent (up to your rent ceiling), your share of that cost comes off your monthly pay.

If you or your husband goes on the DWAN, look up Military Foreign Service Instructions (MFSI) - those should answer most of your Qs.  There should also be a link on the DWAN to the support unit for Colorado Springs which should have links for most of those questions.

CDLS(W) has a website you can use for reference.  If you need a generic username/password let me know.    They only gave me mine after I was posted.  The website has a lot of useful information but it is burried...
https://www.cdlsw-elfcw.forces.gc.ca/

All the benefits for foreign postings reside here: http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-10-foreign-service-instructions.page

If you need help, let me know.  I am on the tail end of a posting in the US..

mrsspetz said:
mrsspetz said:
1. will i (spouse)  be able to work?

Probably - depends of Status of Force Agreement (SOFA), but generally yes.  If you work in an area that requires licensing or certification, you will likely have to go through the process.  Recommend you go look into to this before you go as they may require transcripts, etc.  My wife had to provide records from schools that closed 20 years ago (luckily the records still exist).  On the bright side, Canadians don't generally have difficulty meeting requirements in most countries.

mrsspetz said:
2. allowances ? amounts if available?

1) Foreign Service Premium - based on FSP "points" (one point for each month of OUTCAN service), so it varies
2) A form of PLD (post living differential) designed to ensure a Canadian standard of living
3) Other benefits to make up for increased costs

As a general rule, folks live quite comfortably on OUTCAN postings and are usually in for a bit of shock when they return home!  ;D

mrsspetz said:
3. what is the difference in rent ceiling and rent share?

Already explained by someone else.  There is also a Utility Share, which is also deducted from your pay, but then you submit a claim for 100% reimbursement of all your utility charges.

mrsspetz said:
4. can we get a PMQ on base as a canadian?

Depends on local policy.

mrsspetz said:
5. are you allowed to leave canada with debt?

This should come up during the screening process.  Normal debt (mortgage, car loan, etc) that is under control should not be a problem.  Out of control debt (e.g. bankruptcy) could be a problem.

mrsspetz said:
6. can we take 3 motor vehicles? 2car 1 motorcycle?

Probably, but that's a question for Brookfield.

mrsspetz said:
7. autism services?

This should come up in the screening process.  Whether appropriate services are available locally will be the question.
Generally, they will allow you to access local services, but anything requiring regular travel back to Canada MAY be an issue.  The dependant medical screening should address this.

mrsspetz said:
8. tax prep?

You may wish to engage an accountant.  The serving member is a "deemed resident" and his taxes are fairly simple.  The spouse might be a deemed resident.  If the spouse works overseas, there will be "world income" that must be declared on your Canadian tax return.  You won't be double taxed, but you may have to pay additional Canadian taxes.  Your taxes may get more complicated if you decide to rent out your house in Canada or leave children behind to go to school (i.e. have tuition expenses that are tax-deductible.  On the bright side, if you leave children in Canada to attend college or university, their residence expenses are paid by the government (to a maximum).

If you have a car loan you may have issues getting a title in the US. CDLSW will offer a substantial loan at very low interest when your posting message gets cut,  I would suggest paying off your car loan with it if you have one.

kev994 said:
If you have a car loan you may have issues getting a title in the US. CDLSW will offer a substantial loan at very low interest when your posting message gets cut,  I would suggest paying off your car loan with it if you have one.

Posting loans can be set up by your current Orderly Room before you leave Canada.

Pusser said:
Posting loans can be set up by your current Orderly Room before you leave Canada.

Did that change?  A few years ago, it was the gaining country's CDLS or CFSU (O) OUTCAN Cell that handled all admin - I barely had any dealings with my local admin unless it was for clearing out or Brookfield.

Dimsum said:
Did that change?  A few years ago, it was the gaining country's CDLS or CFSU (O) OUTCAN Cell that handled all admin - I barely had any dealings with my local admin unless it was for clearing out or Brookfield.
I vaguely remember my WOR offering it when my message was cut. I can't remember if they were doing it themselves or through cdls.

Dimsum said:

I did all the paperwork in my local OR and had the money in hand before I left Canada.  Spent most of it before leaving Canada, yet still paying it off on return...

So it's tax season, and the deemed resident part is easy, there is an option for it in the tax software, but how did everyone do the 'factual resident' bit for their spouse? Put their address as their old address?

You put the province she is a factual resident instead.

Also, be careful.  If you haven't lived in the US for 6 months, some provinces deem you were a resident of the province for tax purposes if you lived in that province for more than 6 months before going OUTCAN, regardless of your status on 31 Dec.  I would check with them.

Hi,
I made some research on Google but didn't find the right answer to my question so excuse me if it was already asked.
I was wondering if being on a PCat prevent me to be posted OutCan ?
Thanks !

Myck said:
I was wondering if being on a PCat prevent me to be posted OutCan ?
Thanks !

If you're on a PCAT that violates your occupational standards but you've gone through the whole process (ie your AR/MEL is complete) and have been retained without restrictions in your MOSID, then you'd be eligible for OUTCAN posting on a case-by-case basis. I had a subordinate who had been retained without restrictions and he did a three year embassy tour.

Thank you for your answer. I'm a french speaker so if I understood correctly, as long as I can reach the MOSID standards, I have my chances ?

So for exemple, if I can't run but it's not on the MOSID standards for my trade, but I can do everything else, it's ok ?

Myck said:
Thank you for your answer. I'm a french speaker so if I understood correctly, as long as I can reach the MOSID standards, I have my chances ?

So for exemple, if I can't run but it's not on the MOSID standards for my trade, but I can do everything else, it's ok ?

Running is part of the FORCE test, so isn't a great example of this sort of thing -- as the FORCE test is also required for an OUTCAN posting, in addition to an up to date medical.

A better example would be a member (let's say an artillery officer) who loses some of their hearing in an IED attack -- member gets a PCAT change, no longer strictly meets their medical standards, but the Administrative Review decides to retain the member without restrictions -- and the member still goes to the field, still does FORCE tests. In this case that member could later serve in an OUTCAN posting, maybe a staff position in NATO.

Hi,

My fiance recently got OUTCAN posting to Europe. We have a child together and we are planning to move there soon. Do we have to get married if I want to go with him?

Also, I would like to know about the language and culture. Hopefully, we will be moving to a country where they speak either English or French.

I didn’t get a chance to discuss with him about this yet, I have heard that the government will sponsor our moving charges. But can we contact moving companies that we like? I recently used the service of United Van Lines ( http://uvl.ca/Content/Moving+Services/Moving+Within+Canada ) when we moved to our new condo. They also provide long distance moving. Can I contact them or are there any other complications? Please help.

tinar said:
Hi,

My fiance recently got OUTCAN posting to Europe. We have a child together and we are planning to move there soon. Do we have to get married if I want to go with him?

Also, I would like to know about the language and culture. Hopefully, we will be moving to a country where they speak either English or French.

I didn’t get a chance to discuss with him about this yet, I have heard that the government will sponsor our moving charges. But can we contact moving companies that we like? I recently used the service of United Van Lines ( http://uvl.ca/Content/Moving+Services/Moving+Within+Canada ) when we moved to our new condo. They also provide long distance moving. Can I contact them or are there any other complications? Please help.

In general, you're going to have to be married to accompany a service member on an OUTCAN posting, otherwise you run into all kinds of residency, healthcare, visa issues, etc. Plus, part of the OUTCAN screening is an interview where they talk about family situation -- if his paperwork says he has a child but no spouse then the first question is "what is your child care plan when you're in Europe?"

Culture varies widely -- living in the UK is very different from living in Romania. There are many posting locations, all with their own differences.

The government of Canada has a moving contract -- they book your movers and pay for them, you don't choose the company.

tinar said:
Do we have to get married if I want to go with him?

Common Law Marriage in the Canadian Forces - Mega Thread 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/25612.275
16 pages.

See also,

OP: tinar
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/125631/post-1485660.html#msg1485660

Back