• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting Policy-Out of Canada (OUTCAN) [MERGED]

Does anyone have any info or know where I can find any info on OUTCAN postings for Chinook or Griffon pilots?

Not interested in trying to one yet just curious as to where in the world people have gone lately. I've heard of Chinooks getting lots of exchanges but not so much on the Griffon side. I know a lot of Brits and Germans over here but not sure if we send anyone over there. Anyone have any insight?

Guys of my generation flew tours on Lynx and Puma.  Not sure if those slots still exist.

Nothing stopping a Griffon guy from doing a Brit Chinook tour - guy from my Griffon sqn is there now.

There were 2 spots for Chinooks in Townsville, QLD working with the Australian Army.  Not sure if that is an ongoing one though.

You might be able to find OUTCAN posting info on the My Career link in EMAA.  You can search by location, APS, and other filters.

RubberTree said:
I enjoyed the question about selling organs for profit...
Thank you all for your responses. I never thought it would be such a big deal to bring a car into the US for 3 years....but here I am. What I am trying to do really is just keep it legal. God forbid I get into an accident in the US and my insurance company pulls the plug because I don't have the proper plates etc.
I was told that I couldn't renew my Canadian plates without Canadian insurance and my insurance (TD Meloche Moniche) won't insure us once we are in the US.
I did speak with Customs Border Patrol, Auto import division today and he was actually very helpful. He said that I can bring my car in under the foreign military exemption clause and even provided his number at the crossing to get in touch with him should I run into trouble. It sounds simple enough. The next hurdle will be plating the car in the US...but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

As for the US Visa...the application was involved but it is all online and once complete and photos submitted took me less than 4 days to get the visa attached to a (brand new) green passport. But as stated above...I recommend you start early as mileage may vary considerably.
What did you put on your visa for "address while in the US"? The cdls(w) instructions indicate that you need to wait until after your hht, but I don't have that kind of time, my US unit wants me there in May. Thanks.

I highly recommend AGAINST rushing your move.  OUTCAN moves are complicated and it pays to get it right.  Your US unit may just have to wait.  They actually have no real say in this.  Exchange postings are approved at a much higher level than a unit CO.

Having said this, your unit address should suffice as an address (I would think).

kev994 said:
What did you put on your visa for "address while in the US"? The cdls(w) instructions indicate that you need to wait until after your hht, but I don't have that kind of time, my US unit wants me there in May. Thanks.
Wait until your HHT.  The receiving unit will be superseded by the State Department.  You cannot move here (I'm here in the US OUTCAN) without it. 

And they (The US State Department) are highly efficient.  Once my daughter's green passport was finally processed, it (and my passport) were walked over to the US Embassy and I had my Visas on my passport and in my hand in about 3 days.  And I was in Gagetown at the time.

Pusser said:
I highly recommend AGAINST rushing your move.  OUTCAN moves are complicated and it pays to get it right. 

Greta advice.  I am just finishing my third OUTCAN, and the move process, both in and out, is quite complicated.

I filed for my US Visa less than a week AFTER returning from my HHT, so I had a residential address on the form. I submitted my green passport application before my visa application and when the passport was done it was passed to the visa people and then returned to me. It was very efficient and smooth.

On a separate note...as tax season is fast approaching...does anyone have experience with (Canadian) taxes for a spouse working in the US (specifically one on LWOP)? The main question is deemed resident or factual resident?

RubberTree,

CDLS(W) had a webinar this week about taxes and residential ties for spouses was one of the subjects.  I did not attend but it should be on CDLS's website next week.

Cheers,

Thanks, I was hoping to catch it but unfortunately was out of town. Hopefully it will be a functioning link on the CDLS page.

My wife also worked on the economy during our OUTCAN posting (however, not in the US).  In our case, mostly because we maintained our house in Canada, she was considered a deemed resident of Canada.  I don't believe a deemed resident has to necessarily maintain a house in Canada, but he/she must maintain a link of some sort (i.e. show a residential tie).

The tax implications can be interesting.  In our case, my wife had to meet all the tax requirements in our country of residence (fill out the forms, pay taxes based on her salary, etc).  That was all pretty straight forward.  The foreign country's tax system is actually simpler than Canada's.  However, she also had to declare all of her foreign income (as well as her Canadian income - half the rent on our house) on her Canadian tax return.  However, all the foreign taxes she paid were then applied as a tax credit.  The big point here is that she didn't get taxed twice.  Although she had to declare her foreign income on her Canadian tax return, her foreign taxes were also deducted from it.  In our case, mostly because we have the rental income and expenses in Canada, we engaged an accountant to sort through all of this for us.  It just made life simpler and in my mind was well worth the cost (which is tax deductible by the way).

On a side note, if you keep your house in Canada and rent it out (i.e. use it as an income property), you should ensure that you declare it as your "principle residence" (involves a letter to CRA - my accountant took care of that).  You can maintain a house you're not living in as your principle residence for up to four years (even if it's rented out).  If you don't do this and you end up selling the house at a later date, you will have to pay taxes on any capital gain incurred while it was rented.  Something worth looking into.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/ndvdls/gvt_mpl-eng.html
There is a link halfway down to a form that asks cra to determine your residency status. 

Pusser said:
I don't believe a deemed resident has to necessarily maintain a house in Canada, but he/she must maintain a link of some sort (i.e. show a residential tie).

CF members and their families are considered Deemed Residents when posted OUTCAN - the relevant link is the same as the one posted by kev994. 

Also, not sure if it'd apply anywa, but you can't file taxes electronically as a Deemed Resident.

Dimsum said:
CF members and their families are considered Deemed Residents when posted OUTCAN - the relevant link is the same as the one posted by kev994. 

Also, not sure if it'd apply anywa, but you can't file taxes electronically as a Deemed Resident.

Not necessarily true.  The member most definitely is a deemed resident, but family members may not be.  That has to be determined.  For example, my wife was a deemed resident (she maintained a tie); whereas another Canadian wife here (she and her husband did not still own a house in Canada) was denied deemed residency by CRA.

Thank you all for the insight...
I just got off the phone with the CRA (who were remarkably nice, patient and helpful) and it breaks down like this...
Because my wife worked for the CAF in 2015 she is a deemed resident for this tax year.
For 2016, she will become a factual resident (We don't have a residence in Canada).
Now to figure out taxes on the American side...

Good Day all,

long time lurker, first time poster. This is for anyone that has been posted OUTCAN in the recent years.  I am just waiting on my Posting message to Germany.  We need a new veh and at thinking about buying one before we leave.  My question, do we have to do anything to our Veh before we get over there or once we get there to get it licenced in Germany?  ie change heads lights or anything.  If anyone knows and has references can you throw them at me.  Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers

Back