• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry Strong said:
So he just finished a 8 day holiday in India and now he's off again.................

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/as-trudeau-vacations-in-florida-details-are-once-again-scarce

Cheers
Larry

Edited to remove personal attack

Since when is a state visit (ie India) a vacation?

PPCLI Guy said:
Since when is a state visit (ie India) a vacation?
When you only spend 1 day actually doing state business.

jollyjacktar said:
1/2 a day. 

What will he dress up like this time?

Really.  This doesn't look like 1/2 of a day to me. Apologies in advance for introducing facts into the opinion bukake-fest

Itinerary for Friday, February 23, 2018 Ottawa, Ontario - February 22, 2018
Note: All times local

Itinerary for the Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, for Friday, February 23, 2018:

New Delhi, India

9 a.m. The Prime Minister will attend an official greeting ceremony.

Rashtrapati Bhavan (Presidential Palace)

Note for media:

Open coverage
9:30 a.m. The Prime Minister will participate in a wreath laying ceremony.

Raj Ghat (Gandhi Memorial)

Note for media:

Open coverage
10:15 a.m. The Prime Minister will meet with the Minister of External Affairs of India, Sushma Swaraj.

Taj Diplomatic Enclave Hotel

Note for media:

Pooled photo opportunity at the beginning of the meeting
12 p.m. The Prime Minister will meet with the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi.

Hyderabad House

Closed to media

12:30 p.m. The Prime Minister, the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, Navdeep Bains, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Chrystia Freeland, the Minister of Defence, Harjit Sajjan, the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, Amarjeet Sohi, the Minister of Science and Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities, Kirsty Duncan, and the Minister of Small Business and Tourism, Bardish Chagger will hold an expanded bilateral meeting with the Prime Minister of India.

Conference Room, Main Floor
Hyderabad House

Note for media:

1:15 p.m. The Prime Minister will participate in an exchange of agreements ceremony with the Prime Minister of India and will deliver remarks.

Ballroom, 2nd Floor
Hyderabad House

Note for media:

Open coverage
2:45 p.m. The Prime Minister will participate in a roundtable with Chief Executive Officers.

Note for media:

5 p.m. The Prime Minister will meet with the President of India, Ram Nath Kovind.

Morning Room, Ground Floor
Rashtrapi Bhavan (Presidential Palace)

Note for media:

6:30 p.m. The Prime Minister will hold a media availability.

Nizwan Room, 1st Floor

Note for media:

Open coverage

Itinerary for Thursday, February 22, 2018 Ottawa, Ontario - February 21, 2018

Itinerary for the Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, for Thursday, February 22, 2018:

New Delhi, India

9:30 a.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will visit the Jama Masjid Mosque.

Jama Masjid Mosque

Note for media:

Open coverage and pooled photo opportunity

10 a.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will visit the Sacred Heart Church.

Sacred Heart Church

Note for media:

Pooled photo opportunity

11:30 a.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will visit a cricket pitch.

Note for media:

Open coverage

3 p.m. The Prime Minister will deliver remarks at the Canada-India Business Summit.

Note for media:

Open coverage

Itinerary for Wednesday, February 21, 2018 Ottawa, Ontario - February 20, 2018

Itinerary for the Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, for Wednesday, February 21, 2018:

Amritsar, India

11:20 a.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will visit the Sri Harmandir Sahib (Golden Temple).

Sri Harmandir Sahib (Golden Temple)

Note for media:

Pooled photo opportunity
12:45 p.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will visit the Partition Museum.

Partition Museum

Note for media:

Pooled photo opportunity
1:50 p.m. The Prime Minister will meet with the Chief Minister of Punjab, Amarinder Singh. 

Taj Swarna Hotel

Note for media:

Delhi, India

4:45 p.m. The Prime Minister will hold a media availability. 

Nizwan Room, 1st Floor
Taj Diplomatic Enclave

Note for media:

Open coverage

Itinerary for Wednesday, February 21, 2018 Ottawa, Ontario - February 20, 2018

Itinerary for the Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, for Wednesday, February 21, 2018:

Amritsar, India

11:20 a.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will visit the Sri Harmandir Sahib (Golden Temple).

Sri Harmandir Sahib (Golden Temple)

Note for media:

Pooled photo opportunity
12:45 p.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will visit the Partition Museum.

Partition Museum

Note for media:

Pooled photo opportunity
1:50 p.m. The Prime Minister will meet with the Chief Minister of Punjab, Amarinder Singh. 

Taj Swarna Hotel

Note for media:

Delhi, India

4:45 p.m. The Prime Minister will hold a media availability. 

Nizwan Room, 1st Floor
Taj Diplomatic Enclave

Note for media:

Open coverage

Itinerary for Monday, February 19, 2018 Ottawa, Ontario - February 18, 2018

Itinerary for the Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, for Monday, February 19, 2018:

Ahmedabad, India

10:05 a.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will arrive in Ahmedabad, India.

Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport

Note for media:

Photo opportunity upon arrival
10:45 a.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will visit the Sabarmati Ashram.

Gandhi Ashram

Note for media:

11:45 a.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will visit the Swaminarayan Akshardham Temple.

Akshardham Temple

Note for media:

3 p.m. The Prime Minister will participate in an armchair discussion on education and investment opportunities at the Indian Institute of Management.

Indian Institute of Management

Note for media:

Open coverage
4:45 p.m. The Prime Minister will meet with the Chief Minister of Gujarat, Shri Vijay Rupani.

Boardroom, Ground Floor
Gujarat State Aviation Infrastructure Company Ltd (GUJSAIL)
Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport

Note for media:

Mumbai, India

6:30 p.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will arrive in Mumbai, India.

Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport

Note for media:

7:50 p.m. The Prime Minister will hold a media availability.

Chambers Lawn
Taj Mahal Palace

Note for media:

Open coverage

Ottawa, Ontario - February 17, 2018

Itinerary for the Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, for Sunday, February 18, 2018:

Agra, India

9:50 a.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will arrive in Agra, India.

Agra Airport

Note for media:

10:40 a.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will visit the Taj Mahal.

Taj Mahal

Note for media:

New Delhi, India

5 p.m. The Prime Minister will participate in a roundtable discussion with civil society leaders.

Note for media:

Pooled photo opportunity

Itinerary for Saturday, February 17, 2018 Ottawa, Ontario - February 16, 2018

Itinerary for the Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, for Saturday, February 17, 2018:

New Delhi, India

3:50 p.m. The Prime Minister and Ms. Grégoire Trudeau will arrive in New Delhi, India.

Indira Ghandi International Airport

Note for media:

Most frequently used phrase: “Pooled Photo Opportunity”.  I am willing to give the guy a break, but in reality he took a photo op vacation with his family and cloaked it under the guise of conducting business. Guess what, except for Indo-Canadians, experience informs Canadian businesses that they want as little to with India as possible. Despite its huge population, the fact is that India is a corrupt nationalistic country that insists on eventual domestication of all business conducted between that country and its trading partners.

Sounds like a pretty full schedule. Not only meetings, but I'll bet the pre meeting brief, coaching and coordinating also takes a shit load of time.

Kinda makes you wonder where he found the time for selfies and dancing. If it wasn't a vacation, why were Sophie and the kids along on such a busy trip? Why should we be paying for them?  I also would like to know who paid for the costumes. Or why he brought a convicted terrorist on a business trip. If it was business, why was the trade minister left at home? Given the deal our PM got, that sounded like another mistake he, alone, is responsible for.

The fight between him and Jagmeet Singh for the Sikh terrorist vote should be interesting.

[quote author=recceguy]  If it was business, why was the trade minister left at home? [/QUOTE]

What? Really?

The fight between him and Jagmeet Singh for the Sikh terrorist vote should be interesting.
Yea that's kinda weird. Well to me it is. To politicians probably not.

ModlrMike said:
Mr Singh seems to be trying to distance himself from that group on one hand, but on the other appears to be hedging his bets:

NDP leader says Canada should declare anti-Sikh violence in 1984 a genocide
In the article cited, Singh presumes to speak for India's Hindu majority by stating that he "believes labelling the event a genocide will help bring peace between Hindus and Sikhs."  There's no explanation of how or why that peace may come about; I figure it's more likely to cheer up the Sikhs -- particularly giving additional ammo for the separatists -- while infuriating the Hindus, and adding more to their current anti-Canadian sentiment.

If there's no objection from the author, I'd recommend a recent blog post from E.R. Campbell, entitled "Stay out of separatists’ beds or get out of national politics." 

(Obviously if you'd prefer not to have the link here, let me know and I'll remove it immediately)

If what happened in India was a genocide, it was a pretty piss poor attempt at one. That word gets tossed around pretty liberally (see what I did there?  8) ) these days.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/saskatchewan-alberta-bc-pipeline-trans-mountain-expansion-1.4580650

Saskatchewan would support Alberta's decision to turn off oil taps

Premier Moe says Saskatchewan won't help source oil for Canada if Alberta decides to cut supply

By Elise von Scheel, CBC News Posted: Mar 17, 2018 4:00 AM ET Last Updated: Mar 17, 2018 4:00 AM ET

Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe says he'll stand by Alberta if the province decides to restrict oil exports to pressure British Columbia to abandon its opposition to the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion project.

Moe said he would "absolutely" encourage Rachel Notley, his Alberta counterpart, to cut off domestic exports of its oil.

"If the fuel tanks start to run dry because Premier Notley has turned the tap off, it won't be Saskatchewan filling them up," the premier told CBC Radio's The House.

It will be the NE and SE of BC that suffers, Vancouver already gets most of it's feedstock from the US. The NW will be able to get fuel & oil from Alaska and truck/rail to the Prince George. those are the only 2 refineries. Also not sure how much legal clout the government has to interfere with fuel and oil sales?

Colin P said:
It will be the NE and SE of BC that suffers, Vancouver already gets most of it's feedstock from the US. The NW will be able to get fuel & oil from Alaska and truck/rail to the Prince George. those are the only 2 refineries. Also not sure how much legal clout the government has to interfere with fuel and oil sales?

It's not my area of expertise, but this article states 90% of Vancouver's oil comes from AB.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/how-alberta-could-sow-gas-price-armageddon-in-vancouver

Scheer’s delight? If an election were held tomorrow, CPC could have a shot at majority government

Majority of Canadians disapprove of Justin Trudeau for the first time since he became Prime Minister

March 19, 2018 –  The passage of time appears to have done nothing to soothe Canadian voters irritated with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau since his highly criticized passage to India last month.

This, combined with a simmering unease among the electorate over the federal government’s deficit spending has, for the first time, driven Trudeau’s disapproval rating north of 50 per cent.

Link:
http://angusreid.org/federal-issues-march2018/

Halifax Tar said:
Scheer’s delight? If an election were held tomorrow, CPC could have a shot at majority government

Majority of Canadians disapprove of Justin Trudeau for the first time since he became Prime Minister

March 19, 2018 –  The passage of time appears to have done nothing to soothe Canadian voters irritated with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau since his highly criticized passage to India last month.

This, combined with a simmering unease among the electorate over the federal government’s deficit spending has, for the first time, driven Trudeau’s disapproval rating north of 50 per cent.

Link:
http://angusreid.org/federal-issues-march2018/
If Trudeau has lost Ontario, he's lost his job. Doesn't matter how much he runs the table in Quebec, he's cooked.

Time for them to hit the reset on what they are doing, and try to fix what isn't working, but they have not been good at that since the one year mark of their government in my opinion. They have destroyed their one asset, the likability of the PM with his stupid trips and stupid costumes and stupid scandals about stupid vacations.

Now that the world has turned on Trudeau, the only thing they can stand on is their record, and unless they have a complete turn around in the next year, they don't have much to stand on there.

Altair said:
If Trudeau has lost Ontario, he's lost his job. Doesn't matter how much he runs the table in Quebec, he's cooked.

Time for them to hit the reset on what they are doing, and try to fix what isn't working, but they have not been good at that since the one year mark of their government in my opinion. They have destroyed their one asset, the likability of the PM with his stupid trips and stupid costumes and stupid scandals about stupid vacations.

Now that the world has turned on Trudeau, the only thing they can stand on is their record, and unless they have a complete turn around in the next year, they don't have much to stand on there.

Still lots of time for "events dear boy" until the next election.

I have to say Scheer has surprised me so far.  I think he may be more of an opponent for Trudeau than many imagined.

Halifax Tar said:

I have to say Scheer has surprised me so far.  I think he may be more of an opponent for Trudeau than many imagined.
Sure.

Except that a good many Canadian don't know who he is. And if Trudeau and the liberals were not shooting themselves in the foot all day long every day, Scheer would continue to be an afterthought.

Trudeau is suffering from the same phenomenon that brought him into power. The overwhelming urge among the electorate to throw the bums out.

There is still time for a reset, to take stock of what is working, what isn't, and how to improve in the next year and a bit, and events could happen that destroy his opponents, but I don't see any sign of that, nor do I see a government that realizes that it is making things worse.

Halifax Tar said:

To be honest I think that Trudeau may be more of an opponent for Trudeau than many imagined...

Altair said:
Except that a good many Canadian don't know who he is. And if Trudeau and the liberals were not shooting themselves in the foot all day long every day, Scheer would continue to be an afterthought.

Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.
          - Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back