• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://globalnews.ca/news/4044543/david-akin-analysis-justin-trudeaus-bengal-bungle/

ANALYSIS: How Justin Trudeau’s India trip went from bad to ‘Bengal Bungle’ - David Akin - 23 Feb 18

Extract: 1. And then “worse” turned to “farce” when the PMO trotted out one of the most senior members of the civil service, someone who is one of the handful of bureaucrats privy to literally all the secrets of our national security agencies, to engage in frantic damage control.

According to Twitter https://twitter.com/brianlilley?lang=en

@BrianLilley is the first to officially report Trudeau's top security official was the one who lied to the media about Atwal.

When did it become ok for national security director Daniel Jean, to help @justintrudeau politically?

The National Security Advisor (Full title: National Security Advisor to the Prime Minister (French: Conseiller en matière de sécurité nationale auprès du Premier ministre)) is an associate secretary in the Privy Council Office (PCO) responsible for Security and Intelligence. He or she is supported by the Security and Intelligence Secretariat and the International Assessment Staff.

The current National Security Advisor to the Prime Minister is Daniel Jean (previously the deputy minister at Foreign Affairs) appointed May 16, 2016, filling the vacancy left when his predecessor, Richard Fadden, who retired.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/trudeau-appoints-new-national-security-advisor

Trudeau's pick for security adviser shows focus on foreign affairs expertise - 5 May 16

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has picked an experienced deputy minister in foreign affairs rather than a senior security bureaucrat as his new national security adviser. The national security adviser wields much influence. He has the prime minister’s ear on security and intelligence issues, foreign and defence policy and acts as a conduit for conveying the prime minister and cabinet’s directions to the national security community.

Is playing Mr Dress Up the same as "cultural appropriation?"  :eek:rly:

jollyjacktar said:
Justin time for Montreal's Just For Laughs Festival.

:rofl:

Did you miss the space bar ('Just in'), or was that intentionally brilliant?  ;D

Am I reading this right? The PMs staff tried to say that they didn't screw up but some kind of conspiracy by Indian saboteurs was the reason this failed assassin was invited out for supper?

Jarnhamar said:
Am I reading this right? The PMs staff tried to say that they didn't screw up but some kind of conspiracy by Indian saboteurs was the reason this failed assassin was invited out for supper?

No. It is even worse than that: they apparently got the National Security Advisor (a public servant) to say that.

It is bad enough for political staff to blame the Indians, but a senior public servant?

Makes me wonder at how far down they're willing to stoop to try and deflect attention from this mobile clown show the PMO has become.

SeaKingTacco said:
No. It is even worse than that: they apparently got the National Security Advisor (a public servant) to say that.

It is bad enough for political staff to blame the Indians, but a senior public servant?

And not just any Indians - but the Indian Government, or Security Agencies, or super-secret subversive factions within the Indian Government.....

Dale Carnegie is not on the staff.

I think we're jumping to conclusions here. The Liberal government just isn't going to cohearse a public servant to lie about a foreign ally in order to try and make the Prime Ministers office save face while they're making a series of very minor and not-at-all embarrassing mistakes.

I for one totally believe the story about this secret cabal of Shadowy Indian agents    :Tin-Foil-Hat:

Did you read Akin's article?

The National Security Advisor:

This individual, in describing the theory, couched every possibility with words like “maybe” and “possibly,” yet offered no proof or evidence of any allegation and did all of this from behind the cloak of anonymity.

Rifleman62 said:
...couched every possibility with words like “maybe” and “possibly,” yet offered no proof or evidence...
Ah, a Military Intelligence briefing.  :whistle:

Journeyman said:
Ah, a Military Intelligence briefing.  :whistle:

They didn't describe him as "overweight" and "a failure in his three previous occupations" though...

I don't know about you people but I could sure go for a selfie of the PM dressed up like a detective in a trench coat investigating this caper.

Jarnhamar said:
I don't know about you people but I could sure go for a selfie of the PM dressed up like a detective in a trench coat investigating this caper.

Indeed, looking for a Clue, so.  ;D

Missed my attempt at a pun: Clue, so = Clouseau

He may have two clues; but one is most likely lost, while the other one is out looking for it.

http://www.timescolonist.com/atwal-says-he-bowed-out-of-event-in-india-to-save-trudeau-embarrassment-1.23184805

Atwal says he bowed out of event in India to save Trudeau embarrassment

Amy Smart and Gemma Karstens-Smith / The Canadian Press
February 25, 2018 02:09 PM

"SURREY, B.C. - A man convicted of attempted murder who was invited to a dinner reception with Justin Trudeau in India says he has a friendly relationship with the prime minister, and stayed away to save him from further embarrassment."

"Atwal said he has known Trudeau for years. During one of Trudeau's visits to B.C. in 2008 or 2009, he said the pair sat together in Atwal's Hummer and chatted.

"We know each other. He knows my name, he'll come and say, 'Hey Jas, how you doing?' We have a good relationship I never see any problem," he said in the interview on Saturday. "But now he says, 'Oh Jaspal's not supposed to be here, this and that.' It surprised me."
Trudeau's spokesman, Cameron Ahmad, said the prime minister and Atwal are not friends.

Kate Purchase is in overdrive and the CBC is fighting hard to regain the image of Mr. Dress Up (http://www.macleans.ca/multimedia/photo/the-mr-dressup-prime-minister/) image by casting the trip as an entire success that was well planned and smoothy executed:
ANALYSIS
What really happened on Trudeau's India trip: Trade concerns overshadowed by wardrobe choices, extremism talk
By Evan Dyer, CBC News Posted: Feb 25, 2018 6:23 AM ET Last Updated: Feb 25, 2018 3:13 PM ET

"Everywhere Trudeau went, roads were lined with welcome billboards, many showing his smiling countenance next to Modi's or local chief ministers. Indian officials expressed bewilderment at the "snub" narrative, a lot of which hinged on the fact that Modi didn't go to the airport.

More on link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/india-trudeau-trip-wrap-up-1.4550703

whiskey601 said:
Kate Purchase is in overdrive and the CBC is fighting hard to regain the image of Mr. Dress Up (http://www.macleans.ca/multimedia/photo/the-mr-dressup-prime-minister/) image by casting the trip as an entire success that was well planned and smoothy executed:
ANALYSIS
What really happened on Trudeau's India trip: Trade concerns overshadowed by wardrobe choices, extremism talk
By Evan Dyer, CBC News Posted: Feb 25, 2018 6:23 AM ET Last Updated: Feb 25, 2018 3:13 PM ET

"Everywhere Trudeau went, roads were lined with welcome billboards, many showing his smiling countenance next to Modi's or local chief ministers. Indian officials expressed bewilderment at the "snub" narrative, a lot of which hinged on the fact that Modi didn't go to the airport.

More on link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/india-trudeau-trip-wrap-up-1.4550703

Lost all respect for Evan Dyer after that fluff piece.

I know some folks love slagging the CBC,  but I regularly watch the CBC, listen to it driving to and from work, and read the news website. (I also look at BBC, ABC and even occasionally FOX as sanity checks) I've listened to "As It Happens" for 30 years.

As far as I can tell, if you look broadly across all forms of CBC coverage, the message has come through pretty clearly that this whole India trip thing has been a questionable venture with all sorts of embarrassing aspects. I don't get the impression, at all, that CBC is working for the PMO.

Since Harper appointed a number of the currently sitting board of CBC directors, the CBC is no longer the "Communist Broadcasting Corporation"  it once undoubtedly was (circa early 90s). If you pay close attention, as opposed to cherry-picking, it usually appears pretty objective, which means reporting both good and bad.

pbi said:
I know some folks love slagging the CBC,  but I regularly watch the CBC, listen to it driving to and from work, and read the news website. (I also look at BBC, ABC and even occasionally FOX as sanity checks) I've listened to "As It Happens" for 30 years.

As far as I can tell, if you look broadly across all forms of CBC coverage, the message has come through pretty clearly that this whole India trip thing has been a questionable venture with all sorts of embarrassing aspects. I don't get the impression, at all, that CBC is working for the PMO.

Since Harper appointed a number of the currently sitting board of CBC directors, the CBC is no longer the "Communist Broadcasting Corporation"  it once undoubtedly was (circa early 90s). If you pay close attention, as opposed to cherry-picking, it usually appears pretty objective, which means reporting both good and bad.

Rex Murphy is proof of that.  He wouldn't be working at CBC if it were still the "Liberal Propaganda Machine".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back