• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
But to my eyes, seeing as most of the Canadian MSM were all behind this payment, would the Cons have got the same air time here at home?  CBC and others couldn't hand out the Kleenex fast enough to dry his new millionaire tears or those in his camp.

jollyjacktar said:
But to my eyes, seeing as most of the Canadian MSM were all behind this payment, would the Cons have got the same air time here at home?  CBC and others couldn't hand out the Kleenex fast enough to dry his new millionaire tears or those in his camp.
Got lots of time on Rebel Media, I'm guessing ...

Also, if there's nothing wrong with these opposition politicians headed out of country to complain about Canadian policies, there shouldn't be anything wrong with others doing so in the future, right? #GoodForTheGoose

Trudeau slams Harper and the CPC in almost every speech he gives outside of Canada. He's a hypocrite.

Besides, the US has skin in the Khadr game and were entitled to know how Trudeau stabbed them in the back.

jollyjacktar said:

It had nothing to do with kleenex. Rights were violated, but that's another thread.

Regardless,  Kent taking a page out was amateur. First, he's Peter Kent, ie- a nobody, nevertheless anyone who should be going to US media. Second, it looks amateur that were appologizing to the country that held and tortured one of our own citizens.

milnews.ca said:
Got lots of time on Rebel Media, I'm guessing ...

Also, if there's nothing wrong with these opposition politicians headed out of country to complain about Canadian policies, there shouldn't be anything wrong with others doing so in the future, right? #GoodForTheGoose

In my books, absolutely.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
It had nothing to do with kleenex. Rights were violated, but that's another thread.

Regardless,  Kent taking a page out was amateur. First, he's Peter Kent, ie- a nobody, nevertheless anyone who should be going to US media. Second, it looks amateur that were appologizing to the country that held and tortured one of our own citizens.

I shall agree to disagree and give you a box of Kleenex to share with Omar and the other SJWs out there if you wish.

I would guess that it was viewed as airing one's dirty laundry in public.  Maybe if they had gone to other news outlets other than Fox then maybe it wouldn't have seemed that way as much.  Most Canadians are not fans of fox. 

If the CPC can't get any traction using the Kadhr issue, one has to wonder what they will get traction with.

Will he or won't he?  That is the question.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

WARMINGTON: Dad of dead soldier wants sit-down with PM

Joe Warmington, Postmedia Network
Aug 4, 2017, Last Updated: 4:24 PM ET

He had time to oversee Omar Khadr’s $10.5-million pay out and apology.

Time for foreign superstars Bono and The Edge on Canada Day and the Aga Khan for Christmas in the Bahamas. He also had to time to boast about his political acumen to Rolling Stone Magazine.

What Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has not had time to do is respond to the father of a fallen Canadian soldier in Afghanistan who can’t believe Khadr – similar to a teen who killed his son – is made a millionaire while the lives of their victims’ families remain shattered.

“I feel Khadr committed treason and should be tried for it,” said Fred McKay. “ I sent Prime Minister (Justin) Trudeau a letter July 7 (through his office's Facebook page) and I have not heard back.”

McKay, a 32-year district chief for Toronto Fire Services, said regardless, he and his wife and family will never get over what happened May 13, 2010, when two soldiers stopped by his house to tell him his 24-year-old son, Kevin, was killed.

Pte. Kevin McKay, a member of the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry Unit (PPCLI), stepped on an improvised explosive device and was killed instantly.

“We had just raised a toast to Kevin finishing his tour and being inside the wire at Kandahar Air Field, sipping a beer, waiting to come home,” said the elder McKay. “Instead, I jumped into a van towards my wife’s work (to tell her the news) and break (her) heart.”

He was supposed to be home, but a volcano meant the skies were not able to handle flights, so Kevin’s team was delayed.

“Rather than skip a day of patrol and give the Taliban a window to plant explosives, they decided to not put the incoming team at risk,” said Fred. “It was supposed to be Kevin’s last patrol there.”

It was.

He stepped out of a house they were sweeping onto an IED planted under the stairs – a blast so powerful, it severely wounded two other soldiers who are still recovering.

“I’ll tell you, it was a punch in the face,” said McKay. “Worst moment in my lifetime.”

But this summer’s bizarre $10.5-million Khadr government settlement and apology became too close to home for McKay and brought it all back to the forefront.

“I mean what the hell?” said McKay. “I don’t mean to be crass, but, really? Paying and apologizing for a Canadian working with the enemy and building IEDs to kill our people?”

Fred McKay wrote five people about the settlement. Three members of parliament, legendary Toronto Sun journalist Mark Bonokoski and Trudeau. The only one to not get back to him was the prime minister.

He asked Trudeau: since it was a 15-year-old solider similar to Khadr who planted the bomb that stole Kevin, “am I to believe that, should these bomb maker’s families come forward with a lawyer, our Canadian government would apologize and compensate them to the tune of $10 million?”

McKay (pronounced McEye) told Trudeau, “By the way, we received $90,000 from the government when we lost our son, a far cry from the $360,000 maximum. We were told we were receiving that particular sum because Kevin was single and had no dependants, and we accepted that reasoning.”

The mourning father is “not asking for more money” because “Kevin was a soldier and he went off to war and we all knew that he might be killed or wounded.”

But the dad says his objective is to have parliament ask Trudeau to have “Khadr tried for treason since he is seen on video building IEDS while being a Canadian citizen.”

I agree with McKay on this and e-mailed the PMO Friday to try to facilitate contact between he and Trudeau.

Eleanore Catenaro promptly replied, “Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, we don’t foresee an opportunity for you to sit down with the PM due to his busy schedule. I’m adding my colleague Sarah and Rob from Minister (Kent) Hehr’s office here if you would like an official comment on behalf of the government, as it falls under their purview.”

If only I worked for Rolling Stone and if only McKay’s son had been the guy building the bombs instead of being killed by one.

Maybe then there would be some time in Prime Minister Trudeau’s busy schedule.

jwarmington@postmedia.com 

More on LIONK.

Will Trudeau sit down with him?  I doubt it. 

How many others are in the same boat as Fred McKay?

recceguy said:
Trudeau slams Harper and the CPC in almost every speech he gives outside of Canada. He's a hypocrite.

I just searched and could not find a single instance where "Trudeau slammed Harper in speeches made outside of Canada". 

The Google search "trudeau slams harper" seems to show the obverse:

https://www.google.com/search?q=trudeau+slams+harper&tbs=qdr:y&ei=5wqFWdSMGIu-jwSv2rnIBA&start=0&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=638

I even checked this source, which is all of the speeches made by all PMs since 1995: 

http://capitalreport.ca/canadian-prime-ministers-speech-database-1995-2017/

Maybe I missed something?  Or you meant this:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/09/20/prime-minister-justin-trudeau-to-deliver-first-un-address.html

Just wondering what your source is.

Changing the parameters does not answer the question.  Here are the parameters:

Believe it or not, I care not a whit for all of this.  I just expect people to be able to back up their assertions.  It was the way that I was raised, and the way that I raised my son.  Say whatever you want - just be able to defend it. 

As an aside, a challenge to the veracity of a statement is not a personal attack.

PuckChaser said:
Use "blames", less harsh than "slams" but you'll find every single problem discovered by PMJT is the fault of the Harper Conservatives.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=trudeau+blames+tories

Yes. Poor choice of words for flyshit pickers. He BLAMES Harper and the CPC on a regular basis outside the country, I guess I should've said, for all those that are synonymy challenged.

It was reported on fairly extensively when he took over. I can't help it if peoples' googlefoo sucks on a kindergarten level. Start with Davos, that's an easy one. My key words returned almost a full page right off the bat and I didn't bother with the dozens of other pages that showed up.

I stated previously, I'm not spending my time researching any politician to appease anyone else's curiosity.

Don't like my style? Don't read my opinions, or put me on ignore. Neither bothers me.

recceguy said:
Don't like my style? Don't read my opinions, or put me on ignore. Neither bothers me.

Why would we put you on ignore? Censoring those whose opinions we disagree with is what the SJWs/Cultural Marxists do. We're better them that.

recceguy said:
I stated previously, I'm not spending my time researching any politician to appease anyone else's curiosity.

You seem either to confuse opinion with fact, or to misrepresent your opinion and hyperbole as both being fact.  ... Maybe it is all the above.

Regardless, when you present something that is the premise upon which your opinion is formed, that premise is open to examination.  If that premise is hyperbole then, in a fact based discussion, it is not "fly shit picking" to observe that what you have presented is wrong.  If your premise is wrong and you doggedly defend it in the face of factual evidence to the contrary, then be prepared for others to dismiss or question the opinion that you base on that premise.

If others are prepared to provide references & evidence to support their premises or refute your premises, then you can choose to counter with your own research or do nothing (but then don't get emotional if others dismiss/challenge your conclusion because it is the one unsubstantiated with evidence).

And, you are entitled to your own opinion but ...

When it comes to factuals, you really cannot hide behind a shield of "entitled to my opinion" to deflect discussion.  If I present hyperbole, out-right lies, or other misrepresentation of facts then I cannot get butt hurt and mutter about my right to my opinion when evidence demonstrates the quantifiable elements of my statements to be wrong. 

Too much hyperbole in the premises of an opinion, coupled with dogged defence of the hyperbole when challenged with conflicting evidence while refusing to present one's own supporting evidence ... well, that can cast the appearance of arguing from a point of ignorance.

Generally, I would recommend that if your argument needs hyperbole (or other distortion of fact) to prove a point then your argument is not very strong.  While hyperbole can be helpful at times and just fun to toss out at others, when you get called on it, you are probably best to concede the fact and rephrase your argument without the misrepresentation.

To the point, this statement is false: "Trudeau slams Harper and the CPC in almost every speech he gives outside of Canada. He's a hypocrite"

But concede the hyperbole and you can still make your point: "I seem to recall it was reported on fairly extensively, when he took over office,  that PM Trudeau blamed PM Harper for Canada's problems when giving a speech outside of Canada. He's a hypocrite"

There's a useful article by Kady O'Malley in iPolitics that concludes with this paragraph:

"The prime minister would definitely do well to keep those breathlessly hagiographical headlines in perspective – and, for heaven’s sakes, just stop gloating
    over that boxing match already. But the rest of us might want to do the same with our reflexive eye-roll when he’s depicted as anything more than a pretty-boy
    dilettante who lucked into the job based on his family name."

Now I know some of you will have reflexive eye-rolls when Ms O'Malley, a CBC reporter, is cited but she's right, in my opinion:

1. Team Trudeau (the PMO, which now has tentacles inside the PCO) remains locked in campaign mode; they scored such a big, unexpected win that they didn't have to worry about governing in 2016, they could just bask in the glory of it all, but they didn't accomplish much, legislatively, in 2017, either and people are starting to notice. Now, 2018 is time to start campaigning again but one should want to run on a record. Currently the Trudeau record is underwhelming; and

2. Teams Blue and Orange need to get over the "just not ready" and "being PM is not an entry level job" notions: Canadians didn't buy it. Canadians like Justin Trudeau, despite the Khard fiasco they still trust him more than they do Andrew Scheer and whoever will lead the NDP.

Both sides All sides need policies that will make sense to enough Canadians ... tactically the Conservatives need to keep hammering out-of-control, never ending deficits; it's a long, hard slog to make that case but Canadians are, generally, a thrifty, frugal people ~ who love free stuff ~ and they can be frightened into fiscal responsibility. The NDP needs to hammer at the broken promise of electoral reform (that caused (I have read) as many as 1 million normally NDP voters to shift to the Liberals, many, mainly, on that issue) and to stress that Trudeau's "middle class" appears to exclude hourly wage earners. The Liberals need to cobble together a coherent "vision" of the Canada they want ... Canadians will not settle for "I'm not Stephen Harper" in 2019.

E.R. Campbell said:
2. Teams Blue and Orange need to get over the "just not ready" and "being PM is not an entry level job" notions: Canadians didn't buy it.

I would think that many Canadians are catching on to this and starting to believe it.

E.R. Campbell said:
Canadians like Justin Trudeau, despite the Khard fiasco they still trust him more than they do Andrew Scheer and whoever will lead the NDP.

Scheer is still the "new kid on the block" and we will have to wait until Parliament reconvenes to see how he will do.  What I saw prior to them going on break were clips of a fairly well versed and quick witted person with a good sense of humour, whom I think will appeal to the populace once he has more exposure.

George Wallace said:
I would think that many Canadians are catching on to this and starting to believe it.

Then you completely missed Edward's point completely, and the fact that overall support for PMJT actually went up in the last Ipsos poll.

I would not vote for the CPC with Scheer at the helm. Not right now anyway.

Scott said:
Then you completely missed Edward's point completely, and the fact that overall support for PMJT actually went up in the last Ipsos poll.

I would not vote for the CPC with Scheer at the helm. Not right now anyway.

I have lost all faith in IPSOS REID polls.  So many of them have been so far off, I question their actual reliability to be an accurate pulse on the nation.

LOL, Scott.    That is a rather broad statement to make, as Scheer has just been voted in as the leader off the CPC, and has had little time to actually face off in Parliament, Leader to Leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back