• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jarnhamar said:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/racist-graffiti-markham-suspects-police-photos-1.4259543

Devastating racist attack against a slide.

star of david= swastika
KKK

Seems legit.

The suspects appear to be middle eastern. Why would they be spray painting KKK when they aren't white? Interesting.

EpicBeardedMan said:
The suspects appear to be middle eastern. Why would they be spray painting KKK when they aren't white? Interesting.

Because, like most ignorant and intolerant people, they're stupid.

EpicBeardedMan said:
You must have better IMINT than I'm looking at @ the CBC site ...
EpicBeardedMan said:
False flag was my thinking.
Really?  I guess we'll see if your imagery assessment is correct as the case unfolds ...

milnews.ca said:
You must have better IMINT than I'm looking at @ the CBC site ...Really?  I guess we'll see if your imagery assessment is correct as the case unfolds ...

Do you not see the images that YRP released or...? How are you even arguing this? Lmao.

EpicBeardedMan said:
Do you not see the images that YRP released or...?
You mean the attached from the attached YRP news release?  Not clear enough for me to bet money yet.  If you have better imagery to share, happy to reassess my guess vs. yours.
EpicBeardedMan said:
How are you even arguing this? Lmao.
Not arguing, just saying a bit soon to tell from these photos alone.  We'll see how your false flag theory holds up as the investigation unfolds.

Attachments

• YRPpix.jpg
    YRPpix.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 191
  • J_MEDIAINTERNET PRESS RELEASES2017[2017-08-23] UPDATE- VIDEO AND SUSPECT IMAGES RELEASED AFTER...pdf
    231.3 KB · Views: 59
Well, personally, if the government of Canada pays out 14.5 million dollars to you know who for you know what, I have no problem with 8 millions to Senator Duffy for what he was put through.

An interesting commentary on our society. We seem to have no trouble accepting a payout to a convicted terrorist, but lose our minds over compensating someone who was acquitted in a court of law.

ModlrMike said:
An interesting commentary on our society. We seem to have no trouble accepting a payout to a convicted terrorist, but lose our minds over compensating someone who was acquitted in a court of law.

I could accept Duffy easier than the terrorist.  The terrorist, I'll never accept.

ModlrMike said:
And in Duffy's case, he's going to get up on the stand and say, "hey - I was told it was OK until I was suspended without pay".

ModlrMike said:
An interesting commentary on our society.

There are just so many of those these days.

Take for instance the removal of the name Langevin from the East Block on Parliament Hill and now the call to remove the name Macdonald from Schools and other locations.  Here we are seeing snowflakes offended by the names of our Fathers of Confederation, yet at the same time they are naming schools and building statues to people who have taken up arms against Canada, traitors and Rebellion leaders whose followers murdered homesteaders in Manitoba and Saskatchewan; Louis Riel.  Is the country on drugs?

For a second there I thought you were going to say there's plans for an Omar Khadr Collegiate or something.

jollyjacktar said:
For a second there I thought you were going to say there's plans for an Omar Khadr Collegiate or something.
Seems like something the ETFO would suggest.

George Wallace said:
There are just so many of those these days.

Take for instance the removal of the name Langevin from the East Block on Parliament Hill and now the call to remove the name Macdonald from Schools and other locations.  Here we are seeing snowflakes offended by the names of our Fathers of Confederation, yet at the same time they are naming schools and building statues to people who have taken up arms against Canada, traitors and Rebellion leaders whose followers murdered homesteaders in Manitoba and Saskatchewan; Louis Riel.  Is the country on drugs?

That's the complexity of history and the problem with the simplistic way that history was taught in the past. There is no true "black and white" narrative to any event and everything needs to be put into context.

Take Riel, a complex (and likely schizophrenic) character. The old narrative was that he was deemed a traitor by the English and a hero by the French and is far too simple to have any real value. The reality is more complex- undoubtedly the natives and more recently the metis had lived in the Red river basin for thousands of years prior to the Red river rebellion. That he queen of England, with no real footprint on the ground outside of the HBC, sold/gave land to Canada that she didn't "own" in any real sense aside from colouring a map pink was irrelevant to the natives and metis in the area. It was the plan to change from the seigneur system in use to square land plots that was the final straw and caused the uprising. The Northwest rebellion has similar roots based on suzerainty and land rights. In many ways, the Riel rebellions should be viewed in the same light as the many Scot rebellions (including the William Wallace uprising) as a subjugated people trying to keep their land rights. Canada had no real sovereignty over the area and certainly no history there, so can they be seen to be taking up arms or protecting their rights, like those in the south that argue the same sort of logic. That the red river rebellion led to Manitoba becoming a province was why Riel is now considered a father of confederation.

What I find hard to reconcile is how in one thread you argue that taking down confederate statues is a crime while then being upset that Riel would be honoured. In the simplistic history both the confederates and Riel are traitors who took up arms against their countries. At least Riel was fighting for rights and not to own other people....

Look, Bird Gunner, your opinion is yours and I actually agree with a lot of them.

But get some basic facts right: The Metis were not there for thousands of years. They could not, as Metis are not "natives" in the same sense as the other native tribes of North America. They are by definition a mixed race resulting from union of French Settlers/explorers of the great plains with local natives that became an independent tribal organization. That arrival of French settlers/explorers started in the late 1500's early 1600'. So they were only there for at most 200 years at the time of the rebellion.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Look, Bird Gunner, your opinion is yours and I actually agree with a lot of them.

But get some basic facts right: The Metis were not there for thousands of years. They could not, as Metis are not "natives" in the same sense as the other native tribes of North America. They are by definition a mixed race resulting from union of French Settlers/explorers of the great plains with local natives that became an independent tribal organization. That arrival of French settlers/explorers started in the late 1500's early 1600'. So they were only there for at most 200 years at the time of the rebellion.

I think that's what he meant by "more recently" when he was talking about the Metis.  Just the way he structured his para it came out wrong. 

Most Metis are descended from NWC men and not HBC as I recall. NWC was the company that introduced liquor into the furtrade and also encouraged more settlements than the HBC. HBC was content with only having a coastal presence until the NWC began undermining them. HBC also had policy to prevent settlements and missionaries from entering their territory for the longest time, which actually cushioned western Canadian FN's from encroachment for sometime. 

George Wallace said:
... they are naming schools and building statues to people who have taken up arms against (the central government), traitors and Rebellion leaders whose followers murdered ...
So, which of the guys matching this description -- who some consider a hero because he "stuck it to the man" as an underdog -- should have statues, then?

Also, FYI, here's Premier Wynne's take on the teachers' union idea ...
Premier Kathleen Wynne has weighed in on a controversial proposal by the Ontario elementary teachers union to rename public schools bearing the name of Canada's first prime minister, saying it has "missed the mark."

The remarks come one day after the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario made headlines with a proposal to strip public schools of John A. Macdonald's name.

The proposal drew the praise of some who agreed that naming schools after Macdonald was tantamount to celebrating his controversial legacy, and the ire of many others — including former foreign minister John Baird — as "political correctness on steroids."

In her statement Thursday, Wynne acknowledged the union is "coming from a good place," but said she disagreed Macdonald's name should be removed from schools in the province.

"Sir John A. Macdonald was far from perfect," said the premier. "Certainly his decision to open residential schools was among the most problematic in our history."

But, she added, he remains an important part of history.

"We need to teach our children the full history of this country — including colonialism, our Indigenous peoples and their history and about what our founders did to create Canada and make it the country it is today.... We need to understand our history, the good along with the bad." ...

Attachments

• bb9dbff4-3e9b-413b-b822-a1fe2b74b344.jpg
    bb9dbff4-3e9b-413b-b822-a1fe2b74b344.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 220px-Robert_E_Lee_in_1863.png
    220px-Robert_E_Lee_in_1863.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back