• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
284_226 said:
One could also argue that those who are operationally deployed would be the ones that stand the most to gain from ensuring that the entire reporting period is considered on a PER.  I personally don't know how to address that particular concern.
Those that are deployed have the added advantage of having both the FY PER and the Tour PER sit before the merit board. Twice as many words in their favour (or not) dependant upon their performance of course!!

Hmmm I never got a end tour PER...PDR yes and I wrote a PDR for all my guys.  I thought those where only given if you were from an outside unit and where leaving back to your orginal unit after the tour.  Like in the case of an individual augmentee or reservist.

MJP said:
Hmmm I never got a end tour PER...PDR yes and I wrote a PDR for all my guys.  I thought those where only given if you were from an outside unit and where leaving back to your orginal unit after the tour.  Like in the case of an individual augmentee or reservist.

True that. If one deploys as part of his parent Unit, then his parent Unit would be aware of his performance for the entire reporting period.

Not the case for an augmentee, loggie etc. In either case, the entire reporting period is then covered and not neglected as 284_226 has alluded to below.

I still think a test is in order, and the scoring of the test would be the heaviest weighing factor in the Annual evaluation.  We have div notes in the navy, and if you read some (for example my unit we have had 3 MS/MCpls go through here in the last year) you can easily see what individual each MS/MCpl thought was number 1, and who wasn't.  

Opinions on the individual being evaluated do indeed play a role in how well the PER is written.  I know that most supervisors don't do this but we have all seen it.

Some people are able to score exceptionally high in tests and have lots of book-smarts. When the crap hits the fan for real though they become clueless.

Consistant performance and ability to get the actual job done is the standard, as it should be.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Opinions on the individual being evaluated do indeed play a role in how well the PER is written.  I know that most supervisors don't do this but we have all seen it.

Shall we go into the effect of a supervisor who writes so well that they can make flatulence smell like roses, compared to the supervisor who isn't so skilled in a literary capability and can't adequately represent a subordinate who deserves better?

Nah, better not  ;D

Seen, I thought of that right after I posted it, the Timmies is taking a while to jumpstart my brain this morning.  Which is bad considering I am trying to write PER's here at work.  

There are many fellas around who can memorize anything in a book, but crossing the street is a challenge.  They are the last ones I would be willing to follow when the crap hits the fan.

284_226 said:
Shall we go into the effect of a supervisor who writes so well that they can make flatulence smell like roses, compared to the supervisor who isn't so skilled in a literary capability and can't adequately represent a subordinate who deserves better?

Nah, better not  ;D

Situations like this are exactly where the redress process becomes most successful for the member grieving.

The Librarian said:
Put them in his secure mailbox at the OR? I know I certainly didn't hand deliver mine. Have the OOW wake him? I don't know. But it seems like a wholey preventable situation to me.

I forgot to mention that for certain courses, the Divisional Commander is actually located in another building and for some of the training sections, that building is on the other side of the harbour!!

This is how it works in most of the schools in Halifax and Esquimalt.

Geez though, I'm quite sure that you could get course reports to him for signature the same way leave passes, memos etc would go.

We put it in the outgoing mail, it goes to the base mail office and then back to the other building... takes a couple of days for the trip.

That's what happens when the base is spread over a half dozen physical sites..

Yes, I recall my days in Halifax very well as the DST travelling back and forth between MARCOM to pick up the pri message, Supply to check out the strips, NAD to pick up the part, back to the Halifax side again to deliver.

Guess it goes with the territory.

The Librarian said:
Those that are deployed have the added advantage of having both the FY PER and the Tour PER sit before the merit board. Twice as many words in their favour (or not) dependant upon their performance of course!!

The only problem there is if you go on a tour with your unit you get your annual PER only even though on tour you may be doing alot more

riggermade said:
The only problem there is if you go on a tour with your unit you get your annual PER only even though on tour you may be doing alot more
But your theatre one would be used to make that annual one with would it not? That's how it's supposed to work for deployed Units. Their PDRs from theatre are supposed to be taken into consideration in the writing of the annual PER.

But if you are deployed as a formed Unit of your parent Unit, then when your annual is written the quarterly PDRs from home are available to be used with the annual.

I really must be missing what you are trying to say.

Whether your annual is written in theatre or not, your quarterly PDRs are available (or should be) for use in it's writing when deployed as a component of the parent Unit.

Thanks Vern
Excellent reference library you maintain

How serious is it if one isn't receiving PDR's?  I left my last unit doing quite well on last years PER and left halfway through the year with a good posting PDR.  Since I've been at my new unit I haven't received any PDRs, not even the initial one that gives you your job description.  I've even asked for some feedback and was told that the PDR's from my last unit count towards the two a year that you are guaranteed and that I shouldn't expect anything from this new unit.  I don't even think my supervisor knows half of what I do, he does a completely different job and is only my supervisor because he happens to be in the same room. 

With the supervisors being this carefree I cringe at the thought of what my PER will look like this spring.  It wont be horrible but I can't see that much effort going towards it.  I know I'm entitled to redress the PER but how far can one expect to get when redressing a PER.  How far should you go,  receiving no feedback verbal, written or otherwise I can assume that my PER is going to be perfect.  I know that's taking it too far, but with such a nightmare of a chain of command I feel I could redress it if even one dot is one spot to the left.  Does a redress only go to the unit CO or can it go as high as the formation commander.  The CFPAS handbook says how many PDR's one should receive, but when reading it, the handbook doesn't come across as absolute law.  I've looked in various orders but haven't been able to find anything.  Are we absolutely entitled to receive PDR's or is it just a niceity that you may or may not receive. 

CFFB,

I would suggest that you follow the advice that has been given before in this thread.  Gather supporting documentation.  Submit a memorandum or send an email requesting an initial interview, description of duties.  Keep that and any responses.  If you send it by email, turn on receive/read notificaiton and keep that.  Make notes of when you have asked for direction and take note of the responses.  Submit and brag sheet (from the PDR form) up your chain of command so that your supervisor is aware of what you are doing.  Ask for feed back on that.  As always document it.  Document any verbal feedback.
Just because one side of PER process is letting their end down does mean you should.  You are your own best career manager, make sure your supervisor know you know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back