• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paid parking DND property

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Wallace said:
Depends on where your Father-in-Law read the news article.  If it was the Ottawa Citizen or Ottawa Sun, then it is relevant, as these events have indeed happened in Ottawa.  As for across the country, that should have no affect on any other locations. 

I can see this happening at Bases in metropolitan areas, if parking fees are charged, but not at the Bases out in the sticks.  It would be a municipality by municipality decision.

Hey would have heard this on ATV (CTV Atlantic) News so it may be a story out of Ottawa but was sure he said all across the country!

This is second hand info from someone who had been briefed last week. Apparently its starting 1st of April, the first people to pay will be people holding restricted parking passes, usually senior people. All general parking in the dockyard will probably go restricted as well and the rate will be higher than parking outside.
People will start paying sometime after that in parking areas outside the dockyard, suppose to be something like $60 per month, taken out of your pay as a taxable benefit. The seniority will probably remain the same, however that will probably change. I guess there are a lot of details to be worked out.

FSTO said:
This all came up because Treasury Board does not like to give out things for free and that if the civil service in Ottawa has to pay for parking then all of civil servants throughout Canada must pay. So with this reasoning not only will soldiers at CFB Wainwright will have to pay for parking, Parks Canada employees at Riding Mountain National Park (West Central Manitoba) will also have to pay. The administrative nightmare (collecting the fee and policing the offenders) that this policy will produce far outweigh the amount of revenue the TB will bring in.

Have you read the policy?  only applicable where there is a local market for parking.  So, if you work on a major remote base (Cold Lake, Petawawa etc) there is no local market, therefore no fee.

On the other hand, Ottawa has folks spread all over the city, often in buildings with pay parking that is subsidized by the Crown - which is then allocated on some arcane system based on years of service / knowing someone.  New rules will eliminate the subsidy and everyone will pay the market rate.

dapaterson said:
Have you read the policy?  only applicable where there is a local market for parking.  So, if you work on a major remote base (Cold Lake, Petawawa etc) there is no local market, therefore no fee.

On the other hand, Ottawa has folks spread all over the city, often in buildings with pay parking that is subsidized by the Crown - which is then allocated on some arcane system based on years of service / knowing someone.  New rules will eliminate the subsidy and everyone will pay the market rate.

No I have not read the policy, just my opinion on the way the TB works. I also remember that this issue came up about 10 years ago and it died a quick death. I wonder what the local market is in Regina becasue if they decide to charge us parking here, there is a free parking across the street.

This policy enforced in Winnipeg sometime in the early 90's (???). You had to pay to park around the two armories and the stone frigate, but not on the base. Chippawa had the real problem as it is in downtown Wpg. Do not know how the policy related to CFRC in downtown Wpg.
Everyone then parked on the street, and the policy was redressed by the SSO of the Mil Dist. Policy was lifted, don't know why, after six months or so.

In 1995 CRA said that “scramble parking” — when there are more employees than spots — was not taxable. Now it appears that CRA is interpreting the rules to say that scramble parking is a taxable benefit if it is in a “fixed, controlled” setting.
I was back taxed for thousands of dollars because of that decision. Fortunately, my employer took care of it. But, the police may not be so fortunate:
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2010/09/20/15426286.html

So sadly this will probably be another form of tax grab . I still say this is a bad idea no one should have to pay to park there cars when they go to work .
        If that is the case can I send my gas bill to my employer for my car because driving to work is 90 % of my gas bill each month .

karl28 said:
            So would they be charging you for parking out side the base or in it ? IF its in the base than that's a load of crap .  If I where you guys I would be checking this one out and following it very closely .  I don't think any Employer should be able to charge there employees parking fees for them to come to work .  If my boss did that at the Long Term Care Facility where I work I would tell him to stick it where the sun don't shine .
As much as I agree with you fully, sadly, this is true more oft than not. My wife works at QE II in Halifax (26+ years seniority) and the employees not only pay but pay full rate - The same as you would if you found yourself at the hospital all day. The only exception to this are on-call MDs staying on site. As far as I know, this is the norm rather than the exception.
As for Halifax (and I can only speak for there), at the meetings, we were told that this WILL happen and Phase One was implemented already. What I had heard a little over a year ago by someone seemingly in the know (would rather not say who) was that you would actually not pay out of pocket but would pay the equivalent extra on your income tax as a taxable benefit (ie: $60/month at 23% tax rate equals roughly $12/month extra in income tax) Again, I never heard this idea again, just that once. I know many Visitor spots are now reduced to one hour visitor so even if you are on TD working somewhere, you will pay to park your rental.
I am sure there are abuses everywhere but right now, working in Ottawa, I don't think there are any locations????
Will the Politicians have to start paying to park their tax payer leased vehicles (or taxpayer funded chauffeured limos) now too?

Pat in Halifax said:
Will the Politicians have to start paying to park their tax payer leased vehicles (or taxpayer funded chauffeured limos) now too?

If an employee is required on average 3 or more days per week to use a vehicle in the performance of his or her job, parking is not a taxable benefit.

Edit to add: CRA parking Q and A:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/pyrll/bnfts/tmbl/prkng-eng.html

mariomike said:
If an employee is required on average 3 or more days per week to use a vehicle in the performance of his or her job, parking is not a taxable benefit.
Fair enough but 'getting back and forth to work' by PMV or leased or chauffeured vehicle is NOT a requirement to perform their duties(I am speaking of politicians here). I have been in Ottawa now over 2 months, no car and have missed no appointments at any of the multitude of locations here.

Halifax Tar said:
Hey would have heard this on ATV (CTV Atlantic) News so it may be a story out of Ottawa but was sure he said all across the country!

It aired on ATV last week with Steve Murphy interviewing Peter Stauffer.

Pat in Halifax said:
Fair enough but 'getting back and forth to work' by PMV or leased or chauffeured vehicle is NOT a requirement to perform their duties(I am speaking of politicians here).

You are right.
More on "business purposes":
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/pyrll/bnfts/tmbl/prkng/dfntns-eng.html#buspurp

Ex-Dragoon said:
It aired on ATV last week with Steve Murphy interviewing Peter Stauffer.
Saw that. I thought Mr Stauffer could have prepared himself a little better but hey, he is supporting the cause.

Last I heard was that only 'Reserved' Parking Spaces were required to pay, all others would be as per the current arrangement. Time will tell, we will all see 01 Apr!!

Well,

Really ya never know....I mean wierder things can happen than parking fees....for example, I'm going to be a Radar tech....

NS

NavyShooter said:
Really ya never know....I mean wierder things can happen than parking fees....for example, I'm going to be a Radar tech....

When are you scheduled for the lobotomy?  ;)

On the topic at hand, I'm pretty sure I've seen a policy document on the parking fees issue, I'll see what I can dig up at work tomorrow.

FSTO said:
This all came up because Treasury Board does not like to give out things for free and that if the civil service in Ottawa has to pay for parking then all of civil servants throughout Canada must pay.
No.  TB has a policy of not undercutting local economies.  If the CF has a location in a major city and there is a significant pay-parking market, then that location will be expected to charge at comparable local market rates.  For bases & facilities in locations with no comercial parking alternative, there will be no costs for parking.  This has nothing to do with the PS in Ottawa sticking-it to the rest of the country.

FSTO said:
dapaterson said:
Have you read the policy? 
No I have not read the policy, just my opinion on the way the TB works.
Unless you want to come across as an idiot, do not missrepresent your opinion as fact.  The same is true of falsely presenting your hypothisis as the actual cause for and mechanisims of CF/DND administrative activities.

Some things may be stupid or unpleasant.  Unless you are prepaired to do your homework, leave your commentary to speculating on the stupid and affirming the unpleasant. 

MCG said:
No.  TB has a policy of not undercutting local economies.  If the CF has a location in a major city and there is a significant pay-parking market, then that location will be expected to charge at comparable local market rates.  For bases & facilities in locations with no comercial parking alternative, there will be no costs for parking.  This has nothing to do with the PS in Ottawa sticking-it to the rest of the country.
No I have not read the policy, just my opinion on the way the TB works. Unless you want to come across as an idiot, do not missrepresent your opinion as fact.  The same is true of falsely presenting your hypothisis as the actual cause for and mechanisims of CF/DND administrative activities.

Some things may be stupid or unpleasant.  Unless you are prepaired to do your homework, leave your commentary to speculating on the stupid and affirming the unpleasant.

You do realize that this is an unofficial forum where people from all walks of life come here to ask questions, comment on policy and generally have a conversation with other folks with common interests. If my comments regarding the souless bloodsucking vampires at Treasury Board, PWGSC or other mandarins sitting in Ottawa making decisions that in my opinion do more to annoy than assist, offend you then put me on your ignore list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back