• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paid parking DND property

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDN Aviator said:
.....school taxes when you have no kids.....
Lemme know how you like it when your doctor can't read. Which private school did your parents send you to when you were a kid given your distate for,  and lack of value seen in public education?

The panic about everyone in a geographic location getting pay deducted for parking is silly.  There are already places where fees are in place for parking on DND/government lots.  Only the people that use the spaces pay, and it can be done on hourly, daily or monthly arangements.

TimBit said:
As for other points, how is it fair to members, like those in the NCR who just do not have any "free" parking spaces if someone making the same salary in another city gets free parking.
It is not about fairness to people making the same salary across the country.  Parking rates will not be set nationally - they will be local based on local competitive rates.

noneck said:
I wouldn't be surprised if TB had mandated it across the Fed Govm't.
Yes.  Go back to reply 21 and you will see that already stated.

When i'm on 2 hour standby...i cant even leave my house.........

Pardon my ignorance AND the thread hijack, but are you not even allowed to go elsewhere with a cell phone within 2-hours reach of the squadron?

ArmyVern said:
I was thinking along that lines too; someone said something earlier about it being noted as "a taxable allowance & benefit" on our pay ... wondering then, what is their plan with that? Automatic for everyone? What about those pers who don't own POMVs (they DO exist!!), those who utilize public transport instead of POMV to get to/from work - or carpool -, those who are married service couples who travel back/forth in ONE vehicle etc?? They still going to treat "both" their pays to this "taxable allowance and benefit" at the full rate for each member despite the fact that only one vehicle between them is utilizing a space??

The plan where I work is this:

EX's and Senior Officers of Colonel-Rank and above do, as part of their privilege, get free parking. For them, the full cost of a spot will become a taxable benefit unless they forfeit their rights. For all others, you pay to get a parking pass, it is not taxable. I'm sure in fact it will be tax-deductible if you can prove that you don't really have a choice to pay for it in order to get to work (i.e. you CANNOT take the bus, because of shift work, in which case anyway you should not have to pay).

TimBit said:
The plan where I work is this:

EX's and Senior Officers of Colonel-Rank and above do, as part of their privilege, get free parking. For them, the full cost of a spot will become a taxable benefit unless they forfeit their rights. For all others, you pay to get a parking pass, it is not taxable. I'm sure in fact it will be tax-deductible if you can prove that you don't really have a choice to pay for it in order to get to work (i.e. you CANNOT take the bus, because of shift work, in which case anyway you should not have to pay).

Shift workers, persons with permanent mobility limitations, and executive cadres are covered here:
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/1000/1004-1-eng.asp

Wed, May 12 2010
"Should military personnel and DND employees have to pay for parking, particularly on bases?:
The battle lines are being drawn over whether DND and Canadian Forces personnel should have to pay for parking at work on bases.":
http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitizen/blogs/defencewatch/archive/2010/05/12/should-military-personnel-and-dnd-employees-have-to-pay-for-parking-particularly-on-bases.aspx

"Whether it's Wainwright Alberta, Petawawa Ontario, Bagotville Quebec, or Goose Bay Newfoundland, service people, and DND civilians will soon have to pay for the convenience of parking at work."

There is quite a contradiction in that article however, between no fees for rural areas and parking fees in Bagot, Wainwright, Pet and so on. These last three examples do seem to me to be good example of places that are actually pretty rural and where there is no competing market...

You will also notice that the same article does mention as well that parking spots will be turned over to private operators... as I said earlier.

BTW, DAOD 1004-1 as linked by mariomike states the following charges:

NCR or other Canadian urban installation,
measurable market value and assigned parking,
a charge.

base close to population centre,
assigned parking, but no comparable market value,
no charge.

remote base,
assigned parking, but no market value,
no charge.

installation (base, building, armoury or reserve centre),
no assigned parking (open lot or “scramble”),
no charge.

So it would seem to me that all of you at Gagetown, Pet, Bagot and so on are good to go. Unlike those in Halifax and Esquimalt, sadly...

TimBit said:
So it would seem to me that all of you at Gagetown, Pet, Bagot and so on are good to go. Unlike those in Halifax and Esquimalt, sadly...

I have read that remote or rural areas -- with populations of less than 25,000 -- where there is no "market" won't be charged for parking.
My uneducated guess is that there could be a successful challenge for CF members - whether parked in downtown Ottawa or the most remote location - by showing that providing parking was to the employer's advantage "in case of emergency".
That the CF, like members of municipal Emergency Services, are on-call in case of emergency around the clock. When you report for duty you never know when you will be going home. Or, when you may be ordered back in for an emergency. Or, put on standby. 
The only time you can escape that fact is when on vacation. And even that is "subject to change".
http://books.google.ca/books?id=1ouuuRIgJhMC&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=%22employer's+advantage%22+parking&source=bl&ots=NUw4lfnqgC&sig=ll2ukCzPKBizUzxK1z2U4fX_jTc&hl=en&ei=tRjsS87dD4P6lwehzIW0CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22employer's%20advantage%22%20parking&f=false

P.S. The Ottawa Citizen reports that even the disabled may not be spared by CRA.
Just in time for Canada Day:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/story_print.html?id=2746142&sponsor=

PSAC had this to say:
http://www.psac-afpc.org/news/2010/releases/20100503-e.shtml

I believe this information regarding parking as a Taxable Benefit is relevant and may be of interest to readers.
Although municipal, there will be "a review how similar government organizations such as the Federal and Provincial governments, other municipalities and the United States Internal Revenue Service are assessed for access to parking."

In today's news:
Fortunately, "( Toronto ) Council has also agreed to cover the costs of any retroactive tax and interest that city staff incur between 2006 and 2010 as a result of the CRA's decision to make parking permits a taxable benefit.":
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100513/toronto-cra-audit-100513/20100513/?hub=TorontoNewHome

This is regarding parking and pensions:
As a Taxable Benefit, "the reassessment will also impact employees' contributory earnings in their retirement program.":
http://wx.toronto.ca/inter/it/newsrel.nsf/11476e3d3711f56e85256616006b891f/1ef797a8d48e10e985257722004a1caa?OpenDocument

As far as parking in Toronto as a Taxable Benefit, someone I know received a Notice of Reassessment for the Tax Year of 2006 yesterday for Canada Revenue Agency. Balance due: $1,005.33. That is just for 2006!

In today's National Post:
"City ( Toronto ) picks up $8M tax tab in parking perk snafu:
"The city ( Toronto ) says it will foot an $8-million bill for employees who are forced to pay back taxes on parking privileges they did not know were benefits.":
http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/05/13/city-to-spend-8m-on-back-taxes-for-councillor-parking-spots/

Parking and pension:
"The city also has to pay an additional $2-million for retroactive pension contributions."

TimBit said:
BTW, DAOD 1004-1 as linked by mariomike states the following charges:

I don't really think Esquimalt should be an issue. Or at least I haven't noticed any pay parking lots in Esquimalt. Certainly not anywhere near the base. I suppose the nice people at the Recruiting Centre in downtown Victoria might lose any free parking that they currently receive, if they get any.

gcclarke said:
I don't really think Esquimalt should be an issue. Or at least I haven't noticed any pay parking lots in Esquimalt. Certainly not anywhere near the base. I suppose the nice people at the Recruiting Centre in downtown Victoria might lose any free parking that they currently receive, if they get any.

I believe there is actually one on the corner of Admirals Rd and Lockley Rd, just outside the base. Not sure it gets much usage though.

My real question is if payment for parking becomes mandatory in a place like Halifax, would they actually build up the infrastructure so that you don't need 12+ years in to apply for a parking pass?

I suspect that they'd wait a bit to see if the demand doesn't drop to reasonable levels after such a price increase.

Good catch on the parking lot there too. Google street view tells me that it's $3 a day and monthly parking is available, but doesn't say how much the monthly rate is. I'd guess somewhere in the $30 range.

gcclarke said:
Good catch on the parking lot there too. Google street view tells me that it's $3 a day and monthly parking is available, but doesn't say how much the monthly rate is. I'd guess somewhere in the $30 range.

I'd guess a little higher for the monthly rate.  My former workplace was $3 a day and about $48 per month.  If you were only going to be there part of the month, sometimes it was cheaper to pay the daily rate.  Where I am now doesn't offer that option, it's $85 a month, whether you're there or not. 

gcclarke said:
I suspect that they'd wait a bit to see if the demand doesn't drop to reasonable levels after such a price increase.

I can't see the demand dropping that far, considering that the majority of the fleet has less than 12 years in (theres got to be more Indians than chiefs so to speak).

I can remember then Irving offered to build a parking facility there, but the caveat was that they'd be allowed to have an Irving gas station too, obviously that didn't fly.

gcclarke said:

The parking situation is quite different in Esquimalt. In my experience there are plenty of available spots on Naden. Dockyard parking, allthough tight, is no where near the Halifax situation.

To clarify my position, I'd have absolutely no problem paying for a spot in Halifax, assuming I didn't have to wait till I got it as a retirement present :)

EDIT: To fix my quote tags

gcclarke said:

Well, I'd wonder why they'd wait??

If they are handing over the lot to "private enterprise" - then should not "private enterprise" rules be applicable?? Rank and time in having ZERO "privledges" there? You pay - you get to play.

Anyone willing to "pay" that free enterprise rate should receive an EQUAL kick at the bucket in attempting to obtain one of the 800% too FEW parking spots there.

If we're taking lots off the public system table and throwing them into the free enterprise realm ... then fair is fair. Let the fleet compete fairly for parking rights to spots they'll have to pay for. Anything less than that indicates that this is NOTHING more than a cash grab by Treasury Board. Period.

Crockett said:
I believe there is actually one on the corner of Admirals Rd and Lockley Rd, just outside the base. Not sure it gets much usage though.

My real question is if payment for parking becomes mandatory in a place like Halifax, would they actually build up the infrastructure so that you don't need 12+ years in to apply for a parking pass?

At least for the trial period the only change to that is that it's going from 12 back to 13 years.....

Themouse said:
At least for the trial period the only change to that is that it's going from 12 back to 13 years.....

Which, to me, proves the point that it really isn't "free enterprise" and "about competetion" as the Treasury Board" claims then is it?

Not when the "competetion is limited to a select few". That's a cash grab - plain and simple.

ArmyVern said:
Which, to me, proves the point that it really isn't "free enterprise" and "about competetion" as the Treasury Board" claims then is it?

Not when the "competetion is limited to a select few". That's a cash grab - plain and simple.

How true, how true.  Although I think you forgot the put "f$$king" in front of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back