• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paid parking DND property

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here Here!!
I just got up here-Does that make me one of those "mandarins"!

Pat in Halifax said:
Here Here!!
I just got up here-Does that make me one of those "mandarins"!
Not yet, I think you have at least one reporting period before you become a member of the collective.  ;D

FSTO said:
You do realize that this is an unofficial forum where people from all walks of life come here to ask questions, comment on policy and generally have a conversation with other folks with common interests. If my comments regarding the souless bloodsucking vampires at Treasury Board, PWGSC or other mandarins sitting in Ottawa making decisions that in my opinion do more to annoy than assist, offend you then put me on your ignore list.
FSTO,
Lets be clear, your comments were far more than opinion.  You misrepresented your imagination as fact.  You came off as someone who needs to hear himself speak even when he does not know what is going on, and you lied to the boards.  You may choose to plead ignorance v.s. a lie, but either way your comments don't sit cleanly with the site guidelines:
Mike Bobbitt said:
You will not post any material which is knowingly false.
Mike Bobbitt said:
We've had a few instances lately where opinion and rumour have been presented as hard evidence. Unfortunately in many cases, the information is flat out wrong.

... If you base your opinions off of hearsay and rumour, be prepared to be called to task when you use up bandwidth on this board to tell us about it.

The only other alternative is to treat every bit of information posted here as heresy, which essentially makes the forums useless.

So please, make it very clear when you're posting the degree to which your information is confirmed. Opinions and best guesses are OK, just don't present them as being the DS solution.
Dislike of a policy/directive/order is not licence to ignore the above and spread misinformation to garner support for your dislike. 

FSTO said:
This all came up because  _________ Treasury Board does not like to give out things for free and that if the civil service in Ottawa has to pay for parking then all of civil servants throughout Canada must pay. So with this reasoning not only will soldiers at CFB Wainwright will have to pay for parking, Parks Canada employees at Riding Mountain National Park (West Central Manitoba) will also have to pay. The administrative nightmare (collecting the fee and policing the offenders) that this policy will produce far outweigh the amount of revenue the TB will bring in.

To MCG, I should have said, "In my opinion". There is that better?

Yes, that would have made all the difference in the world.

Cheers.

Rifleman62 said:
This policy enforced in Winnipeg sometime in the early 90's (???). You had to pay to park around the two armories and the stone frigate, but not on the base. Chippawa had the real problem as it is in downtown Wpg. Do not know how the policy related to CFRC in downtown Wpg.
Everyone then parked on the street, and the policy was redressed by the SSO of the Mil Dist. Policy was lifted, don't know why, after six months or so.

Chippewa now has an arrangement with the city parking authority. Free parking only on parade/duty nights after 1800, and only with a pass in the lots beside and across from the unit. There are some limited spots around the building for other times. Notwithstanding, there's street parking further afield. I can't speak about the armouries or CFRC.

I personally feel the whole idea of charging soldiers to park at work is flat-out wrong and just another example of how the government has foregone on its agreement to unlimited liability.  Soldiering is not the civil service and we should not be treated as such. "Disclaimer"  This is my opinion  :nod:

You won't be paying for parking in Petawawa, or Greenwood, but you will probably be paying for parking in Halifax and other urban areas.

Parking Charges
Employee parking shall be provided at fair market value unless otherwise authorized by the Deputy Minister. Where there is no fair market value, there will be no charge.   Where the fair market value has not yet been determined, there will be no change to any current charges.

What is the fair market value for parking at Wainwright?  Petawawa? Greenwood? Gagetown? 

How it was explained to us is if you have an assigned spot you pay....if your in general parking you do not. I am sure it will change and be rewritten 80 more times before they make a final decision.

I saw a HALGEN that came out concerning parking today. Pers in designated parking will pay come 1st April. I believe the rates are $65 for stad and dockyard, $85 for Artillery Park, $75 for Armouries and $30 for NAD. Scramble parking is no charge and the parking at the fleetclub except for the patron area is now scramble parking.I believe that several areas of the dockyard, the qualifying number of years have gone down to 12 vice 13. That's it in a nutshell.

Chief Stoker said:
I saw a HALGEN that came out concerning parking today. Pers in designated parking will pay come 1st April. I believe the rates are $65 for stad and dockyard, $85 for Artillery Park, $75 for Armouries and $30 for NAD. Scramble parking is no charge and the parking at the fleetclub except for the patron area is now scramble parking.I believe that several areas of the dockyard, the qualifying number of years have gone down to 12 vice 13. That's it in a nutshell.

Here is a question....what does CFB Halifax intend to do with the influx of cash?

Ex-Dragoon said:
Here is a question....what does CFB Halifax intend to do with the influx of cash?

I assume it goes to the receiver general or something to that effect.

Chief Stoker said:
I assume it goes to the receiver general or something to that effect.

Maybe they should get a proper contract for someone to plow out the parking lots after it snows....because whomever does it now could not remove snow to save their life.

Chief Stoker said:
Just tried to park in Stad in an unmarked "general parking" spot. The comminionare came running out of the building by the parking spot and said "You can't park there it is the Commodores spot" I asked him how I was supposed to know this as it wasn't reserved or marked with a sign. While I was at a briefing in this building people came in several times to ask if anyone owns a car that is parked in the Commodores spot? My question is that if this spot is reserved for a certain person are they paying for it? Seeing as it would fall under assigned parking. Or is this a workaround to that rule by just having to building security people tell everyone the spot is reserved. I know that the senior officer whose spot this is would not agree with this work around if that is the case.

stokerwes said:
Just tried to park in Stad in an unmarked "general parking" spot. The comminionare came running out of the building by the parking spot and said "You can't park there it is the Commodores spot" I asked him how I was supposed to know this as it wasn't reserved or marked with a sign. While I was at a briefing in this building people came in several times to ask if anyone owns a car that is parked in the Commodores spot? My question is that if this spot is reserved for a certain person are they paying for it? Seeing as it would fall under assigned parking. Or is this a workaround to that rule by just having to building security people tell everyone the spot is reserved. I know that the senior officer whose spot this is would not agree with this work around if that is the case.

It should be marked as reserved. I think this is a case where a spot was a temporary reserved spot for the Comodore for a meeting or something not on a permanent basis. If the Comodore has a designated spot which I doubt, because he usually has a driver and a staff car then I think he has to pay for it. Anyway the spot should of been marked.

Paying $85 monthly for a spot in the dockyard that is not assinged,
is effectivly a loss in pay between 1.2% - 2% depending on rank and trade.

Pay to store your vehicle at NAD while on deployment will cost.

As noted, volunteers having to pay to park.
What about loved ones when the ships return alongside?

ref: Choronicle Herald

Feds to begin charging for parking on DND bases

DAN ARSENAULT STAFF REPORTER
Published July 14, 2014 - 3:09pm

Thousands of Halifax military and civilian staff aren’t happy they’ll have to pay for workplace parking spots once September rolls around.

And places that rely on volunteers — like the Military Family Resource Centre and military museums — are worried the new fees might turn off those who work for free.

There will be two types of fees at the HMC Dockyard, Stadacona, Windsor/Willow Park, Royal Artillery Park, Dartmouth’s Naval Annex Dockyard and the Halifax Armoury.

Monthly parking passes will range from $25 to $110. Pay and display kiosks will be set up for intermittant visitors, but those rates have yet to be set. People in single living quarters will have to purchase a parking pass.

Parking will continue to be free at 12 Wing Shearwater.

In an interview Monday, CFB Halifax spokesman Mike Bonin said the decision was not made by military leaders.

“It’s all based on Treasury Board and Canada Revenue Agency requirements and fair market value. The reality is government regulations are stating that it’s a taxable benefit for us and we need to pay to park.”

In all, about 2,300 CFB Halifax parking spaces will come with a price and 2,500 will remain free. The free spots are in areas — mostly outside the urban core — which are deemed to have no market value for a parking space.

Shearwater will have 1,500 free parking spots. Others will be at CFB Halifax locales in Glace Bay, Amherst, Fergusons Cove, Pictou Armouries and the Bedford rifle range and ammunition depot.

Bonin acknowledged the decision isn’t going over well.

“We definitely have a lot of folks that are unhappy with this change, but it’s definitely something that came from a higher authority than the base commander. A lot of people have been accustomed to free parking for years and years (and) now people are saying, ‘This is going to make an impact on me.’”

He said Public Works and Government Services set the prices, which are highest ($110 a month) at Royal Artillery Park, which is in a prime downtown parking location.

One looming problem deals with volunteers who likely won’t be pleased to pay for parking while they work for free.

“Unfortunately, some volunteers might have to pay,” Bonin said. “We are trying to work our way around it.”

However, he said that might prove challenging.

“How can we best accommodate the rules and regulations (and) how can we best accommodate our volunteers?”

Barb Corbett, a board member at the Military Family Resource Centre, said they have hundreds of volunteers and this decision will impact many people very harshly.

“A centre our size doesn’t survive without volunteers,” she said.

She also said the $40 montly fee expected for Windsor Park will also hit poorly paid child-care workers at the centre.

“I think $480 a year is still going to be a lot of money; that’s a tank of oil.”

The MFRC is considering a postal campaign advising military leaders and politicians about their hardships.

“We’re going to do what we can. It’s frustrating that we get caught up in a blanket policy from senior military (staff) about parking.”

I cant help but wonder if this will be factored into PLD?

Oh, silly me.  They would probably opt to s**tcan that program too.  I'll probably earmore at Walmart AND get free parking too.  Their uniforms fit better at least but I dont want to coopt another thread.

The way this news report reads, anyone in and around the MFRC would also have to pay and display:
- people shopping at the CANEX
- players / visitors at the Curling Club
- People visiting the JPSU
- Members of the base auto club

Yes, not all of the answers have been published yet. But if MFRC volunteers
have to pay, what about these other groups parking in the same area?

Schindler's Lift said:
I cant help but wonder if this will be factored into PLD?

Halifax is apparently already at an inflated PLD rate, maybe this is a way to offset that without dropping PLD?  >:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back