• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paid parking DND property

Status
Not open for further replies.
kratz said:
I'm still laughing so hard at this comparison. Shuffle board on the poop deck anyone?    :cheers:

Better than pooping on the shuffle deck, I suppose.

jollyjacktar said:
Fine. Final comment.  Just where the hell are you supposed to put these fridges and microwaves that can hold up to a full complement (250) of sailor's lunches?  ::)
Sorry, technical question, that is outside my lanes.  ;)

You're right, I am an outside who has never "lived" it, but I took enough of an interest in learning the customs, traditions and the way of life of the RCN while in Halifax to have enough knowledge to poke holes in fallacies used as justification to maintain certain status quos.

Maybe it is logistically impossible to happen, for lunch alone.  I don't know.  I'm pretty sure soup is indefensible unless you start paying for it out of mess dues, like happens with RSM's coffee at Army bases.  But by the answers you RCN types who live it have given to try to justify it, I don't think you guys really know if it is or not either.  Just like parking, soup and lunch are sacred cows that nobody in the RCN is willing to take a critical look at before their hand is forced.  And I think that's wrong, morally and ethically, after seeing the ruling that forced the CAF to start charging rations to recruits, no matter what their marital status.  Instead of seeing what is coming and actually getting ahead of the game to come up with strategies to mitigate the impact of any changes, particularly for those who are going to be most adversely affected by this such, it's going to happen in a way that is both swift and harsh.  And fingers are going to get pointed in all the wrong directions as to why it happened.  Just like with parking now.

In the meantime, I need to come up with a reason to get down to Halifax.  Maybe I can get an invite to soup.  :camo:

And I gave you a perfectly reasonable, solution to having parking as a taxable benefit administered using the previous parking system that was in place.  It poked holes in your reasoning of how and why it couldn't be done despite the grand show you put up.  And thanks, for instituting Godwin's Law.  I didn't know my dad went off to fight against free parking and free lunch, those fascist bastards...

At the end, I suppose each side here can accuse the other of, this in their theories of how and why the parking et al world turns, or not...

I never said it couldn't have been accounted for as a taxable benefit.  I simply said that, no matter what system was in place, there was a cost to making the system function and it made sense to me for the Base Commander to stop eating the cost of that when his hand was forced and something had to be done to monetize the parking in Halifax.

What I don't understand is, if free parking is a taxable benefit, then why didn't the military just decide to tax us on it! It would have been way cheaper!

Monthly Parking: $45 x 12 months = $540
Added income tax on free-parking: $540 x 40% = $216.

I'd rather they just take an extra $216 in taxes from me over the course of the year then $540.

So would everyone get that tax?  No, just the ones with cars.
So all the ones with cars get the tax?  No, just the ones who drive to work.
So the ones who drive to work get it?  No, just when the drive.

So...who keeps tabs on it all?  Who pays for the administration of the system?  Who does the extra work required for the pay system?

Just as easy to put in machines so those who use it can pay as they use it.

Just in personnel costs, the "free" system cost in Halifax when I was there:

1 x CPO1 on Class B working as the parking coordinator.
2 x Cmre in the parking pass office, issuing parking passes. Granted they also dealt with day passes etc to give access to the Dockyard.
2 or 3 x Cmre special constables as parking enforcement.

That's 5 or 6 people being paid full time to support a "free" system.

Schindler's Lift said:
So would everyone get that tax?  No, just the ones with cars.
So all the ones with cars get the tax?  No, just the ones who drive to work.
So the ones who drive to work get it?  No, just when the drive.

So...who keeps tabs on it all?  Who pays for the administration of the system?  Who does the extra work required for the pay system?

Just as easy to put in machines so those who use it can pay as they use it.

Do they exact same thing we are doing now. When you have enough time in, you apply for a free parking pass just like before, if you want it. If you do so, you get taxed on it.

g811 The specials were issuing tickets to offenders then, just as they do now.  That generates revenue for your "free" system.

SL, they do it at the Airport.  You have a pass, it gets tacked onto your pay as a benefit as long as you have the pass.  Could be easily completed when you clear in at the pay office.  It's not rocket science.

jollyjacktar said:
g811 The specials were issuing tickets to offenders then, just as they do now.  That generates revenue for your "free" system.

SL, they do it at the Airport.  You have a pass, it gets tacked onto your pay as a benefit as long as you have the pass.  Could be easily completed when you clear in at the pay office.  It's not rocket science.
Nope, it generates revenue for the Receiver General of Canada, if the person pays up front.  If they go to court it generates revenue for the Province of Nova Scotia, who take an admin fee off the top, and the rest goes to the Receiver General of Canada.  In the meantime, the people and everything else making the system work are paid locally.

I can't believe this thread is still alive.
Can we let it die a peaceful death....

I had heard, or thought I did, that if there was no paid parking near a DND property that DND could not charge for parking there. Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back