• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

And on the "things to bring" list, where it says Picture frame (optional).  It's NOT optional, it's required.  So bring one, or buy one at the Canex.  And bring a picture too! 

Why would the picture frame be required? What if you have nothing you would want to put in it, are you just supposed to have it out empty (which would make some sense)?

You need a picture frame with a picture in it out for inspection.  If you don't have a picture, put a postcard in it...

What? A picture frame? I've never heard that before. On my list it didn't say anything about a picture frame. What would be the purpose of a picture frame?

Does anyone know if we are allowed to have an electric shaver rather than regular razor, or I have to change my lifetime habit urgently (tried "safe" razor couple of times and cut myself like hell )  :rage:

Thanks! :salute:

You will need to use a regular razor during basic training, especially if the staff takes all of your electronic stuff away until you "earn" it back.  Even if they don't, you will need to shave in the field without the forest knowing exactly where you are  ;)

The skin on my face dries out easily, making shaving a pain, but I got used to it, so you will too.  :)

Yeah, I recieved my information package a little while back listing the things I will require for Basic Trainning.  I was curious however, is there anything not listed that some of you guys already in the forces care to recommend we bring to basic that will likely be used?

And as for the Iron, maybe I'm confused here, but they mean an electric iron you plug in to press your clothing right?

Also, at the canex, can you get the vast majority of the listed items there?

Is aftershave alright? because my face just dries right up after shaving, to the point of severe discomfiture.

As for razors, is my gillette mach3 with replacable heads fine? or is it just smarted to pick up some disposables ?

And lastly, for socks and underwear does it matter the colours?  I was thinking darker so as to look better once they've been worn in a bit.  Will we get provided with anything thats not mentioned or maybe that is mentioned on that list other then the regulation locks at St. Jean?

Garry, I think your opinion is great really.  I had heard stories about guys only using one toilete for the platoon to make it easier for people to clean, and about people bringing doubles in order to make inspections smoother - but I have to agree, its like cheating.  I'm all for trying to make your path through basic as smooth as possible, but the simple fact is even if your room was perfect in the morning for inspection, they are going to find something wrong in order to instill in you an alertness for small details, and a habit for creating order and cleanliness in your environments.  No point in trying to dodge work when they are going to create work for you to do regardless.

Also, a question pertaining to the maitenence of boots and the wearing of the beret; and particular techniques I should think about beforehand? Or should I not worry about it now and just do exactly as I'm taught there?  I'm thinking the latter is the route to go, but heck, the more knowledge you have the more equipped you are to handle the environment.

Aleas Iacta Est!

If your face dries out after shaving, get yourself a little mirror and shave while you are taking a shower (Not with an electric razor!!!!). The humidity or whatever it is will keep your face nice and moist, and if you nick yourself, it will seal right up and wont even bleed unless your really butcher your face.

nbk said:
If your face dries out after shaving, get yourself a little mirror and shave while you are taking a shower (Not with an electric razor!!!!). The humidity or whatever it is will keep your face nice and moist, and if you nick yourself, it will seal right up and wont even bleed unless your really butcher your face.

That's what I do.  My face used to burn after shaving, so I got some extra moistureizing(sp?) shave gel, and I shave in the shower.  Stopped that problem right away.

ok im so confused and lost....... i got accpeted into my bmq like 2 days after it started..... and i dont know what to bring.... they didn't give me a list or anything..... and i found a list online but some of the stuff there is kinda... o_O.... can anyone help me out asap with a list... cuz i have to leave tomorrow morning.....  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

stuff like toothbrush, towels, shower shoes, shine kit, shave kit, deodorant...stuff like that, pretend you having a nice relaxing sleepover and you want to stay nice and fresh...

Check out this thread: 

http://army.ca/forums/threads/13460.0

I am leaving this Sunday for Shilo, the following is the list I was given. It may not apply to Reg force.

Military Kit List

Cap utility (1)                                        
Combat shirt (2)                                      
Combat pants (2)                                    
Combat T â “ Shirt (3)                              
Combat boots (2 pair)                            
Grey wool socks (3 pair)                        
Combat gloves (1 pair)                            
Combat glove liner (1 pair)                                            
Combat jacket (1)                                                                                  
Grey coveralls (1)                                                                            
Duffel bag (1)                                                                                
Towel, hand (2)                                        
Towel, bath (2)                                        
Beret, Green (1)                                        
Gas mask C/W Carrier/kit (1)                  
CF Cap Badge, Metal (1)                        
Belt, Green (1)                                            
Plate/Cup (1)                                                
Knife/Fork/Spoon (1)                                  
Helmet with cover (1)
Raingear, jacket with hood (1)                
Raingear, pants (1)                                    

Webbing to include:                                  
Cup, Canteen (1)                                        
Canteen, water (1)                                      
Cover, canteen (1)                                    
Patrol pack (1)                                                
Case ammo (1)                                          
Yoke (1)                                                      
Strap, Webbing (4)                                      
Carrier, utensils (1)                                    
Mag pouch (2)

Rucksack complete with all straps
Bag to include:
Sleeping bag inner and outer
Liner
Utility sheet
Bivy bag;

Miscellaneous Kit List

Underwear (5 pair)
Jeans (1 pair)
Dress pants (1 pair)
Pullover/Sweater (1)
Sports shorts (2)
White cotton socks for PT (2 pair)
Light raincoat/jacket (1)
Clothes hangers brown steel (12)
Nail File/Clippers/Scissors (1)
Padlocks Dudley Combination (2)
Swim Wear (Not cut offs) (1)
T â “ Shirts (As required)
Dress Shirt (1)
Running shoes (suitable for jogging) (1 pair)
Shirts for PT (2)
Track or Sweat suit (1)
Sewing kit (1)
Band aids/Moleskin (As required)
Bathrobe and shower sandals (1 ea)
Laundry products (As required)

Wash kit to include:
2 (white) face cloths
Shaving kit
Hair Brush
Soap/Shampoo
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste

Shoe polish kit including:
KIWI Black shoe polish
Polish application brush
Large boot brush

man... i didn't get any of that eating stuff in the kit....... and everything i got was too small for me....

here's a tip
you don't need too many civi clothes
since you won't really have much "civi" time

bring your kit, and bring a big suitcase or if possible an extra duffel bag bring stuff to cover ablutions eg; razor shaving cream, washing kit, nail clippers,
and bring extra running shoes, good socks, and comfy underwear

one important thing i suggest is try to give friends and family your mailing address during your time in basic
it'll help out a lot if they can send you stuff you need

i went through basic two years ago,

about the iron, yes you need to bring one, but i seldom used mine because there's always atleast one in the ironing room

about the razors, yes, if you keep an electric one in your personal box, thats ok, but dont expect to use it in the field,

about what to bring, use logic, if you're not sure about what your buying is the correct item, just buy it in st jean, they have the right shit there,

about the picture frame, during inspections it was optional, those who didn't have one, it didn't matter.  What i would suggest is buy the one in the canex in st jean, and put a tastefull but funny picture in it, if your staff are laughing, its tough to scream at you in the same sentence atleast,

about the using two soap dishes, i used two soap dishes, the feeling i got was that seeing as its nearly impossiable to keep your dish clean, you find a solution which enables you to both live and keep your shit in order for inspection.

about "what is a personal box?" a personal box is a shoebox in your locker that you can keep prettymuch anything in, only once was what i had in my personal box critiqued and that was because my locker was left unsecured and everything dumped, including my personal box, which had my second soap dish and condoms in it, both of which i got shit for having, but everyone kept a second soap dish.

about the using one toilet to make cleaning easier, hell our platoon warrent suggested it so thats good enough for me,

anything else?

on our course wehad them taken away, but got them back at week 4, but some courses kept them from the beginning,

I heard that you can buy the majority of the items required at BMQ at the base. Specifically, I'm looking for those damn boot brushes. Nobody in this town seems to know a bloody thing about them!

Is it a safe bet to just pick them up when I head out to St. Jean?

The Canex in St-Jean will have polish, brushes, and clothes at a decent price.  You're better to wait until you get there, as there are some pretty sketchy polishing products out there, so you may as well get the right stuff.  That and you likely won't have anything to polish for the first few days anyway (depending on when you get kitted).

Back