• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

Something you might want to consider is to bring two of everything in regards to toiletries. Come time for inspection you want a display set and a set you actually use. Its a pain cleaning your shaving cream bottle, toothpaste cap and soap dish before every inspection. If you‘re in garrison the staff won‘t harrass you too much about the electric shaver, but in the field you better play it safe with the razor.

Just remember to actually use the soap a bit first, before actually putting it in the drawer. Otherwise you will have to answer questions about why does your soap mysteriously get changed every morning...or why does your soap have dust on it. :D

Ok, can‘t I just use a razor for the field and the electric when inside? And why would they harass me if I use an electric?

Just use a ‘pull type‘ razor, like the others. You want to be seen as all of the same, electric things make you different and stand out. Don‘t draw ‘attn‘ to yourself, just blend in. Besides your electric razor will clog up with dirt, cam creme, and stuff in the field and will get ruined.

Cheers,

Wes

is the reserve bmq/sq different from Reg bmq in terms of kit list?
and slightly related: what is the difference between reserve and reg bmq/sq?

PRes BMQ is shorter and conducted by local units, rather than being 10 weeks at St-Jean. You don‘t really need all of that stuff for Reserve BMQ since you won‘t have shacks, they‘ll tell you everything you need though.

Jutes

I used an electric off and on during basic loved it just don‘t get caught using one in the field. Probably 10-15% used electric in garrison.

I snuck it into the field but I have a quiet Phillishave.

In any event your going to need two regular razors one for inspection and one for use. DO the same with shaving cream the spouts always leak after you cap them.

Since we‘re on the subject, what about shower gel? I never use soap, and more just shower gel. If I bring with me,a nd keep it for for my personal use, will they take it away? I totally realzie everyone has too have the same locker display, its just part the training.

How big is this personal drawer, etc. now? In my time the only thing they didn‘t go through was the contents of a shoe sized box. Everything else was fair game. This box was where you kept your letters, etc.

well it all depends, there were platoons on BOTC who were only given the shoe box for personal items, u can lock up wutever u won‘t use in civi lock up, but u won‘t be able to get to it because it will be a lcoekd room where all your non kit stuff goes for the duration of the course except for when u‘re on leave. We were lucky cause at the MEGA our directing staff wouldn‘t check the lockbox that was next to our closet, two desk drawers and I believe we even had the big drawer under our bed that we could put wutever in. I had a guy who brought 3 months worth of Whey in those huge jugs and store them in his room. With that said, you may not be that lucky. The thing with soap is that you are suppose to bring soap in the field to wash, though wet naps will do the trick. No one on my course had body wash!!!

Originally posted by chk2f:
[qb] ...but u won‘t be able to get to it because it will be a lcoekd room where all your non kit stuff goes for the duration of the course except for when u‘re on leave.[/qb]
What do you mean on leave? How many days off? What about week-ends?

Yeah I pretty much meant the weekend, if you‘re lucky, don‘t expect to get off base until the fourth week minimum, but trust me you will not have a lack of activities to do on base. Remember its a privilege to do push-ups!!

You‘re all missing the point about razors, soap, etc. Do NOT bring two sets, one for inspection and one for use. The whole idea of morning inspection is to make sure that you have the kit you need to live and do your job, and to ensure serviceability and cleanliness of the kit. You need to be clean and hygenic (you‘d be amazed how many folks don‘t know how). Why be clean? Most Armies lose more people to disease than to enemy fire.

Possibly an even better reason is at some point someone inspecting you will ask if you use the shaving gear he‘s inspecting. If you tell the truth, you‘ll get a mild blast and be told to start using it daily. If you lie, and are caught (and it isn‘t hard to catch you) you‘re in for real trouble.

I can‘t speak for all instructors, but I hate thieves and liars. I will try to break you of the bahaviour, and if I cannot, I‘d rather not have you in the Forces.

Everything that is done, no matter how seemingly insignificant, is done for a reason. A few examples: buttons must be done up. Biggest reason for it is it will keep what‘s in your pockets, in your pockets. Lose something in the field, and will impact your ability to do your job. Boots are shined to keep them in good shape. Good boots means good feet. Affects your performance in the field. Drill is there to make you used to instantly reacting to the Boss‘s word of command. There may be times when not reacting instantly as ordered may get you killed.

I could go on, but suffice it to say that there really is a good reason for everything you‘re taught. Try and understand why you‘re learning something, it will make your time a lot easier.

Cheers-Garry

I am going reg force soon and dont what to show up under or over prepared kit wise someone with instructer experience or fresh off course give me a list off all essential kit(personal)to the best of your recolection.
Thanks

I had a guy who brought 3 months worth of Whey in those huge jugs and store them in his room.
Are you permited to continue using protein and vitamin supplements during basic?

GrahamD said:
 I had a guy who brought 3 months worth of Whey in those huge jugs and store them in his room.
Are you permited to continue using protein and vitamin supplements during basic?

I'd like to know this one  too??

I'm going to say most likely no, because of the concern by the instructors that they do not know what kind of 'supliments' you are taking, (they are worried about drugs).

also, ceratin supliments, etc. may have a reaction to medication if you are injured, sick, whatever.

During course, never ever take that type of stuff... train natural and clean! Like it was said before, the instructor are always on alert for that type of stuff because they dont know exactly what is it... so it can be taken for drugs... and may make you get out of the course. Damn you cant even take Aspirine without prescription of the medical. Thats my 2 cents!

OK, I'll try to answer all the questions raised in this thread...

1.  The list they give you telling you what to bring...well, if you don't want to lug around heavy suitcases, you don't have to buy any of that stuff because you can get them all at the Canex in St. Jean...except personal items you need for the first week.  And yes, you need your own iron.  It's not supplied here...unless you borrow it from a buddy.

2.  Uh...what else...yeah, razors...you need them.  Even if you don't use them, you need to display one for inspection (+ shaving cream of course).

3.  And for bring 2 sets of soap and soap dish...why not. 

4.  Proteins,vitamins, Tylenol...yep, you can have them (the common stuff anyways).  Prescriptions will have to be checked.  But if you need Tylenol or common OTC drugs, you can just get them at the pharmacy on base.  Why not?  They're free!

Ok...what else...?  Oops time's up.  Gotta go.

Back