• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

Remember you have to carry all the stuff you bring from the Green Doors to whatever floor you live on, UNLESS the new Cmdt has changed things and the elevators are able to be used now.  That could be from the ground level to the 14th? floor, or whatever the top floor of the Mega is.

While it might seem to be not big deal, there were recruits who actually got *injured while doing this on the day they arrived.

* this was after the removal of the entrance PT test at the CFRCs. 

PMedMoe said:
They don't take medication away from you anymore?

During arrival inspection, we did the normal routine and had our bags inspected.
I opened my personal kit, which had my Advil and other items listed above.  I was still in awe/shock/fear/etc. and wasn't about to hide anything.
I was asked if I had any prescriptions, I replied no, only over the counter, and that was that.  I'd heard that it was taken away previously, but it wasn't for anyone in my platoon.
I know several people brought Advil for soreness, but very few brought cold medicine, and I can tell you, almost everyone at one point or another caught a cold or cough.  We also had 6-7 cases of Gastro, but that wasn't just for our Platoon, rather every Platoon had Gastro cases at that time.

Cheers,

Would anyone recommend 2 pair of running shoes - 1 indoor and 1 outdoor?

I realize it says we should bring 1 pair of runners and one pair of sneakers...can't say I really know the difference between the two!

I would one set of shoes for running outside in the snow and shit.
One set for going to the gym (I use minimalist shoes for this)
Shower sandles.
Casual shoes for weekends and leave.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I would one set of shoes for running outside in the snow and crap.
One set for going to the gym (I use minimalist shoes for this)
Shower sandles.
Casual shoes for weekends and leave.

Fantastic! Thanks for the info!!

Any 'extra' kit you bring like the second set of running shoes, advil, cleaning supplies that you have bought all have to fit in your personal box so watch how much extra stuff you bring.  A second pair of running shoes might fit in the personal  box.  This is where your going to have your extra shaving kit as well.  Yes the infamous ghost kit.  Our staff told us to get extra stuff so we had inspection stuff only and the stuff we used.  My brothers course which was in May was told by their staff to get extra kit as well. 

Here is something to bring, bring an extra toothbrush so you can get the polish in the groves of your boots.  It is not on your list and it is a great thing to have.

I packed what I could fit in one suitcase, think as well when you graduate your going to have A LOT of other stuff to haul around.  And yup you have to haul your stuff up the stairs, you can't use the elevator.

MedTech Hopeful said:
I realize it says we should bring 1 pair of runners and one pair of sneakers...can't say I really know the difference between the two!

I think they mean runners will be PT shoes and sneakers for casual wear on the weekends/leave. They're not necessary, but you probably won't want to wear your PT shoes into town on leave.

Hitman said:
I think they mean runners will be PT shoes and sneakers for casual wear on the weekends/leave. They're not necessary, but you probably won't want to wear your PT shoes into town on leave.

Sunnyns said:
Here is something to bring, bring an extra toothbrush so you can get the polish in the groves of your boots.  It is not on your list and it is a great thing to have.

I found a stiff nail brush worked better - easily attainable at canex. But def have to clean the soles of your boots.

Hitman said:
I found a stiff nail brush worked better - easily attainable at canex. But def have to clean the soles of your boots.

Plus you could pretty yourself up for the boys on the weekend eh?  ;)

Hitman said:

I have a nail brush for the soles and  a travel toothbrush for the grooves, you know the little ones that have a plastic snap-on cover that doubles as the handle? Fits in the kit easy and that way I can keep it in my pocket if I need to touch up a scuff or something last minute.

I guess. I've never used anything but the back of my combat legs to buff out a scuff during the day. Oh, and a little tip for those going in... Tie up your combat boots up as tight as you can and shower with them on after obstacle courses for an easy clean. wiping them down won't get them clean enough - the dirt will come through when they dry (of course, I would brush polish over the little bit of dirt left over anyway  ;D)

Try making your bed and sleeping on the floor. You'll never have to make your bed again.

Mind blown.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Try making your bed and sleeping on the floor. You'll never have to make your bed again.

Mind blown.

With any luck, someone will vr and you get an extra mattress

Hitman said:
I guess. I've never used anything but the back of my combat legs to buff out a scuff during the day.

That's what I do normally, but the back of my leg doesn't work quite as well if someone stumbles over my toes right before inspection.  :p

Hide a used dryer sheet in your pocket, it buffs up boots really well.

A few recommendations:
RubA535 or something of the like. It works wonders after a ruckmarch / just a general day of hauling ass.
GoldBond. On my BMQ/BMQ-L we were given GoldBond within the first week but you might not be as lucky.
Might also want to consider bringing some medical tape to help prevent (or protect raw) blisters.
Throughout my course I was unlucky to battle with both blisters and shin-splints so having items in your locker to help ease any minor discomforts that come along with BMQ is recommended. It's better be prepared rather than under-prepared. Good to have these items to help you soldier through the course and avoid the MIR.
Good luck!

Starch, and a good strong ruler.  Keeps creases out, lets you measure everything, and the ruler is great for tightening up the bed the next morning.

Back