• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

Rescue119 said:
I am not some kid out of high school

Do what the instructions say. Get used to doing that.

Is that kind acceptable or should I just bring normal razors like a mach 3?

You will require a regular razor. Even if it is only for kit display purposes, you will require one.

Get used to following instruction regardless of how you feel about them. The paperwork you got is called "joining instructions" not "joining suggestions".

Rescue119 said:
I was sworn in yesterday and I received the package and paperwork as well. One question I have is related to what i can buy before had. I understand the items in the Annex B part 1 can be bought before hand but for the Annex B part 2 it states that the following items will be purchased by candidates exclusively at Canex after their arrival at CFLRS.

The items I am more concerned about is the hygienic: Why can I not bring my own toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorant, shampoo, etc.

As for some other items like Kiwi stuff, starch. How come I cant bring what I already have in my possession?

I am not some kid out of high school so I have almost everything already.

Also are electric razors allowed? I did do a search and I think I can but just want to make sure. I have a nice one I got for xmas, the kind that has its own cleaning station. Is that kind acceptable or should I just bring normal razors like a mach 3?

Thanks in advance

What is that supposed to mean? 

I suggest you lose the superior attitude regarding 'kids out of high school' before you get to training.  Those 'kids out of high school' quite possibly also shave and use hygienic items to clean themselves already.  Those 'kids out of high school' are your future coworkers.

Also, agreed with CDN Aviator.  Bring what you're told to and follow the instructions, even if it means spending money at the canex on things you already own.  It will all make sense eventually.

jwtg - What I meant was that because I am older I already have certain items and I don't like wasting money if don't have to, and nothing against younger people.

Thanks CDN Aviator for clearing that up

I also looked at Canex website but the dont have a list of items they sell. Do they carry most stuff with different choices? or say one type of everything?

Rescue119 said:
I also looked at Canex website but the dont have a list of items they sell. Do they carry most stuff with different choices? or say one type of everything?

Sometimes there are multiple options, sometimes not, just like any other store. Try not to over-think too much. Sometimes, you will even be told exactly what item to buy and direction will be very specific.

Start warming up to the idea of living outsite your comfort zone.

Ya that is the problem with 5 days to go.......too much time to think.

thanks

I suggest you bring your own toothpaste.

I did BMOQ this past winter.  I was the only only one in my platoon who followed the exact wording and didn't bring my own toothpaste.  The result: I didn't brush for two days until they took us to Canex.  The guide is imperfect.  There's even a typo or two.

If in doubt, bring it (within reason, of course).  The worst that could happen is that you'll have to lock it up with your civie stuff.

So... to sum it all up, obey the orders given; worst case scenario you don't brush for two days :)

P.S. relax and don't over think

WillTO said:
I suggest you bring your own toothpaste.

I did BMOQ this past winter.  I was the only only one in my platoon who followed the exact wording and didn't bring my own toothpaste.  The result: I didn't brush for two days until they took us to Canex. 

I'd drawn that very conclusion while reading the kit list the other day. "Wait, if I have to buy a toothbrush and toothpaste there and we don't go to the Canex upon arrival that means I'm not brushing my teeth... I think I'll take my toothbrush and toothpaste and discard it if I'm told to." Thanks for verifying my thought process WillTO, much appreciated. ;D

I found this topic which was pretty descriptive
http://army.ca/forums/threads/13460.0

The thing is, the above applies to reg BMQ but do I still need all that stuff for reserve? Iron, Sewing kit, shoe polish? Are these necessary for reserve too?

I asked my Cpl for a list of things to bring. He was obviously busy because he replied "hygiene, pt clothes, civie clothes, stuff like that." a day before BMQ (it actually starts sunday morning, but everything is closed tomorrow so I can't shop). I don't want to ask him for more detail because I want to stay on good terms with him.

So things like deoderant, soap, shampoo, shaving stuff, obviously. What else do you recommend I should bring to reserve BMQ?

As for civie clothes, should I bring dress pants/shirt? Or should I just bring shorts shirt and sandals like I wear in every day life? Or both?

Did you not get a kit list with your joining instructions?  If not what training centre are you going to, we can probably point you to where to find one online.

pumita said:
So things like deoderant, soap, shampoo, shaving stuff, obviously. What else do you recommend I should bring to reserve BMQ?

Bring a pair of flip flops for the shower. Even if it's not on the kit list, bring them.

Even when we stick it on the kit list, and remind them, and flat out order recruits to get them, it always blows my mind (and makes me shiver a bit with disgust) how many recruits you see coming out of the shower room in bare feet. Nasty.

Thank you

I did not get a kit list. And I don't know where the BMQ is going to be held. I'm going to ask my Cpl for more info about this.

All I know is I have to be at long point on the 26th. I need to inquire at what time because I was not told that either.

Also where is long point? It's not showing up on google maps, and it doesn't appear to have a website. Does it go under a different name or something?

I will bring Flipflops, thanks

What unit are you in? We can then narrow it down if you are going to a LFWA, LFCA, LFAA or LFQA training centre.

I'm in infantry at the Royal Montreal Regiment.

I was supposed to go to a BMQ on the 24th of May but I had exams, so I was moved to another where only a couple other people of my unit are going. It starts on the 26th of June.

Forgive me I'm not sure what exactly WA/CA/AA/QA stands for but I hope the above answered your question.

Thank you

pumita said:
Forgive me I'm not sure what exactly WA/CA/AA/QA stands for but I hope the above answered your question.

Thank you

They are abbreviations for the different Land Forces

WA - Western Area
CA - Central Area
AA - Atlantic Area
QA - Quebec Area

You are part of LFQA 

pumita said:
I'm in infantry at the Royal Montreal Regiment.

I was supposed to go to a BMQ on the 24th of May but I had exams, so I was moved to another where only a couple other people of my unit are going. It starts on the 26th of June.

Thank you

In my PRes experience...bring everything you've been issued.

It may be a pain in the rump, but it's better to look at it, than look for it.

As for civy clothes...if you can fold it, stuff it, or cram it in, go ahead.

And for the LOVE OF GOD, I can't agree enough with the other posters as to the importance of [size=24pt]flip flops.[/size]

Get them, wear them....love them.

(Your wart-free feet will thank you).

Bring everything, thats the simplest and probably safest answer.  Also do some organizing before hand, so you know vaguely where everything is.

dangerboy said:
They are abbreviations for the different Land Forces

WA - Western Area
CA - Central Area
AA - Atlantic Area
QA - Quebec Area

You are part of LFQA

Actually that would be SQFT (or Square Foot).

Back