• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

pumita said:
I did not get a kit list. And I don't know where the BMQ is going to be held. I'm going to ask my Cpl for more info about this.

All I know is I have to be at long point on the 26th. I need to inquire at what time because I was not told that either.

So, no kit list, no location and no timing.  Sounds like that start of a bang up course.  ::)

Hammer Sandwich said:
(Your wart fungus-free feet will thank you).

Fixed that for you.  ;)

pumita said:
Also where is long point? It's not showing up on google maps, and it doesn't appear to have a website. Does it go under a different name or something?

Answer :

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/79048.0

Hey everyone,
    I'm only in the very early stages of my application but like many of you I have a lot of questions. This forum has been very helpful in getting an idea of what to expect at BMQ, MOC training, and army life in general. As far as the BMQ side of things there have been countless people asking lots of very good questions, but it does make it a bit difficult to search through it all and find what you're looking for. I just came across this site on one of my meandering Google searches and thought it had a lot of really good info, probably one of the best I've been able to find.

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/menu/pd/bic-cib/index-eng.asp

I really apologize if this is a re-post that someone has found before me, but maybe it could use a bump...

I hope this helps, and good luck. Maybe we will meet one another at CFLRS  ;D

WAIT!!

An applicant who found info on this site, and the CFLRS InterNet site on his/her own?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

;D

I'm going to my fallout shelter (its only a tent but...meh)!!    :endnigh:

I was given this booklet in paper format when I received my job offer, so it is definitely the correct one. Whether or not it will be updated before some of you receive an offer, I can't say.

I have been on the CFLRS page and read the PDF on what to bring and what to purchase at the Canex after arrival. I have some questions in regards to civilian clothing.

Casual dress pants, shirt and shoes.  What is the best place to shop? I usually wear jeans and t-shirts. I am assuming preppy or golf shirt with pants would be ok.  I am assuming the shoes should be black and not any type of running shoes.

Bath towel, face cloth and hand towel.  I am assuming I should look for something dark green.

Casual sweater,  anyone have an example?

I have already purchased my alarm clock and iron, I will practice my ironing.

Bathing suit obtained my the QM, is this the Canex?

I do appreciate the help, big thanks.

Bath towel, face cloth and hand towel.  I am assuming I should look for something dark green.

Wow talk about budget cuts in my day we were issued these.

I'll be at CFLRS on 5th and about things to bring, honestly, from the Basic Up videos and from other posts about this topic, just bring enough clothes for 3 days.  You don't have to go out of your way to buy nice formal clothes when it'll be in a civvy locker (that's what I've read and assuming it's right; can anyone verify?) for the most of the course.  For the towels, I believe it's included in the kit they give you so just bring whatever you have at home. 

I've also read from this forum, pack lightly, as you will be able to buy most if not almost everything from Canex in your first week.  So whatever can fit in your luggage bag and backpack, I think, should be enough.

I live near CFB North Bay and work out at their facilities. They have a Canex.  I have never been there but I'm thinking of checking it out and see if they have items on the list.

You're right. I do want to get what in supposed to need.  My concern is civilian clothing and shoes. 

They do teach us how to iron hopefully.  I tried today and failed miserably. Been watching YouTube videos on ironing. 

I'm trying to be as prepared as possible

You'll buy towels there so everyone is the same.  Buy good running shoes and break them in before you come. Blisters suck.  Most people wore jeans here the first 3 days. They have to be in good shape and no tank tops.
KCK
As for the ironing, I found out make sure the steam is on!  =D  There will be others to help as well but it's great you are looking stuff up.  Look up hospital corners as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbJFNrg2G_4

I know that is American but I found it helped with the corners.  The staff will tell you how they want things and there are pictures on the walls as to how to set things up.  If you know a bit before you go, you will just build on it.  As others have said, people have done basic before the internet and passed with no problems.  Don't worry and stress.

Thanks for the info.  I'm not so stressed anymore, I do enjoy learning. I want to learn as much as I can so BMQ will be that much easier.

Terry2124 said:
Bathing suit obtained my the QM, is this the Canex?

I must admit I was a bit confused when reading through the most recent version of the CFLRS Candidate Information Booklet as well where it instructs us to bring our own bathing suit; yet, one will be provided by the QM.

Under annex B part 1 we're instructed to bring a matching face cloth, hand towel, and bath towel sufficient for three to four days. Under annex B part 2, those it mentions those items must be purchased at Canex after arrival.

Also, there's one thing not mentioned at all which I'm certain we will all need, which is a 5X7 photo for the picture frame we have to purchase after arrival.

Decon said:
I must admit I was a bit confused when reading through the most recent version of the CFLRS Candidate Information Booklet as well where it instructs us to bring our own bathing suit; yet, one will be provided by the QM.

Under annex B part 1 we're instructed to bring a matching face cloth, hand towel, and bath towel sufficient for three to four days. Under annex B part 2, those it mentions those items must be purchased at Canex after arrival.

Also, there's one thing not mentioned at all which I'm certain we will all need, which is a 5X7 photo for the picture frame we have to purchase after arrival.

I never actually had a picture in my picture frame at all during basic. 8 years ago mind you, and of course your results may vary based upon your course staff, but still.

My staff made us have a picture in the frame ... some of us had pictures of other people's moms : )

What about shorts and t-shirts for kinaesthetic training?  Purchase at canex? I'm trying to pack as lite as possible.  Everything I can fit in my carry on bag.

The best way to decide what you to pack for BMQ/BMOQ is pack like you are going to your Aunts/Uncles/Best friends place for 3-4 days.

This will mean you pack everything you normally pack and nothing thats not needed.

I ended up sending about 2 bags full of stuff home when I had visitors up on the 5th week end.

and.

Bring towels, 3 days is a long time to go without one.

SentryMAn said:
Bring towels, 3 days is a long time to go without one.
Ha. New guy ;)

OP, take whatever you've decided to bring and pack it all in your bags as if you're going- a week before you leave.

See if it all fits in your bags. Then unpack everything and see what you can afford to loose.

I recently finished BMQ and can only speak from my own personal experiences. 
Every platoon is different, so your experiences may be different.
For the first 5 weeks your not allowed to go to the CANEX, so if you think you'll NEED something, and it's not an issued item...  You should bring it. 
It's very important to remember, that space is EXTREMELY limited.  You'll have a very full kit bag under your bed, and a small clear plastic container in your locker.  If you're going to sore a personal luxury item, it will need to fit into a small space.

- Find a good pair of runners.  I bought a pair of NB Minimus and found them very good for both indoor and outdoor.
- Bring an average size towel and face cloth.  These will be stored away after week 1 and space is limited.
- Bring a comfortable set of PT clothes. - You'll not use it after the 1st week, but later on in the course, I wore mine in the evenings when cleaning.
- Bring some extra pens (BLUE INK) and if you're like me, and like things in order, a binder or some sort of organizer.  You'll be spending a lot of time in class. 
- Bring a backpack. You wont use it until after week 5, but if you're going away for the day/weekend, it's easier than a big suitcase.
- Bring a GOOD IRON.  The one for sale at CANEX is garbage.  I bought one from WalMart for $50, it quickly became the section iron.
- I brought Magic Erasers and Swiffer cloths with me to BMQ, I used them both, but the Magic Erasers were the better investment.
- Bring yourself a simple and inexpensive medic kit.  (Bandages, Advil, cold medicine day/night, medical tape, tissue/gauze, and throat lozenges.)
**NOTE** You will have access to the MIR, and First Aid Kits, but I found it easier to have my own.
- Bring enough razor blades for 5 weeks. Sounds simple, but you WILL shave every day.  By week 4/5, a lot of guys ran out.

I'm sure that I've given items that others didn't want or need, but these are my recommendations.
The hardest part is the first 5 weeks when your stuck without access to the CANEX or off base.  If  you've forgotten anything, it will need to be mailed to you. 
My first weekend out, I spent $100 at Shoppers getting various cleaning, medical, and personal hygiene supplies.

Good Luck!

Back