• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

p90x to make BMQ PT a bit easier. Good/Bad Idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh yeah I did have a base level of fitness at one point. It's been a couple years since I was forced to quit, due to lack of money, and I've gained a few pounds and lost most of my flexibility and endurance.
That's another reason why I chose this program first. I want to get back into the fighting shape I was in before quitting and then focus on building my overall strength and cardiovascular ability while sustaining a standard of flexibility.

If anyone has any other programs they've used/swear by that can provide the kind of results I'm looking for please feel free to post them, along with information on where I can find info about them, that would be appreciated.

(Yes Kratos I haven't forgotten about SS)

I'm not gonna come in here and rehash what others have been saying.
You can't tone a muscle and if you say big people can't be fast and explosive, I dare you to go up against some NFL players.
I will also say that Kratos is correct. I find it both hilarious and lame that he got a warning for defending his (correct) point(s).

Bdave out.  :salute:

Crossfit. Better than p90 for sure.

also, I'm not sure of your frame size, or your trade, but be careful. If you're in the Infantry, remember that you have to carry around your muscle. Obviously, the stronger you are the better, but being overly big has it's drawbacks.

Overly big Infantrymen(infanteers?) can have issues on long tabs with weight. They are carrying around unnecesary bulk, and their lungs and heart have that much more muscle to pump blood too, and their metabolim has that much more muscle to feed.

Strong, lean, good musclular endurance and good cardio is the way to go. Think GSP over Brock Lesnar.

This is my opinion and I'm not trying to start a war here...

Drop by Dwyer Hill some time and tell some of the bigger lads there, that being overly big is not good for infantry work. Tell them they would be better off looking like GSP. Let me know how that works out.

Dude, some guys are just big monsters, thats all there is to it. And they do just fine on many a hump as I have seen it. I have seen scrawny little dudes or tall lanky things also have issues on long marches. You need to be "grunt fit" end of story. Big part of grunt fit is having solid mental toughness and many years spent soldiering will help build that.

I would say this though, there is no requirement for any grunt (or any service member) to start juicing up and trying to get larger that route.

Having just recently completed P90X I can say it works great, although I have no doubt there are better programs out there.  Having spent too many of the last few years riding a desk, I needed to get back in shape.  After 90 days my "chimp belly" is gone (6 pack can now be seen in the right lighting ;D), my upper body strength (and size), and endurance is up and more importantly, I feel healthy.  Will be starting the doubles program soon, which should up my cardio endurance even more.  I think it was Brutus who mentioned the Yoga.  Wow, when I first started the program I was like - ok, I try it this once, but yoga's for wimps....  Majorly eaten crow.  Never sweated so much doing "nothing".  Now I swear by it........

bdave said:
I will also say that Kratos is correct. I find it both hilarious and lame that he got a warning for defending his (correct) point(s).

Bdave out.  :salute:

What you 'find' is immaterial. You have no say or status in the matter.  Nor do you have the information of insight of the Staff. Until you do, you would be well advised not to try second guess us.

Now, you can return to things that you actually may know something about.

recceguy out :salute:

Milnet.ca Staff

Recceguy, please stop arbitrarily deleting my posts.

It seems you want to have the last word, but ninja post deleting isn't the answer.

Kratos said:
Recceguy, please stop arbitrarily deleting my posts.

It seems you want to have the last word, but ninja post deleting isn't the answer.

Go read the guidelines about posts that have no thread content. I don't have to give you a reason for deleting posts that are just bitches and have no thread content and I don't need your permission. There is nothing surreptitious about it.

Milnet.ca Staff

I reference to the posts at the top of this page:
Yes, I agree. From my understanding there are two kings of people with few in-between - those who can lift cars, and those who can run beside them.
Depending on the persons body, they are more suited to swerve in either direction. It's common sense to identify your weaknesses and strengths, and develop a custom workout plan that will tailor to them for exceptional results. Switch it up every couple of months and the change will prevent a plateau.
That's what I do and I'm in the top 15% of the population of fit people I'd bargain.
Btw, some people need to hit the gym to work out some stress before coming to the boards ;)   
Make love, not war....unless you're overseas.

Cheers,
MPwannabe

I think to a certain degree, without the added factor of pharmaceutical enhancements and maybe even with so, strength and cardio are found on a spectrum, with the extremes of both at either end.

Also, if you program properly, plateaus should be very rare in weight training. I have no experience with running plateaus, but many people can stay on the same strength training routine and make consistent progress for easily over a year.

recceguy said:
What you 'find' is immaterial. You have no say or status in the matter.  Nor do you have the information of insight of the Staff. Until you do, you would be well advised not to try second guess us.

Now, you can return to things that you actually may know something about.

recceguy out :salute:

Milnet.ca Staff

Return to things I know about? Then I'll keep going.
I know very well what I'm talking about and so does Kratos.
The fact that some of you are getting butt hurt because someone disagrees, rightfully so, with what you are saying astounds me. The only insight I have of the staff is through their actions.
Leather skin, huh?

I used to be delusional and only did stuff like px90, thinking that was the end all be all of strength and fitness.
I was wrong.
The strongest and most explosive athletes in the world lift weights. There are limits to what you can do with your body weight.
I'm not saying to not do pushups and body weight exercise, but some of you need to be realistic.
Being able to do 200 pushups is not stronger than being able to bench 315 pounds. Being able to do a few bird dogs is not stronger than deadlifting several hundred pounds.

I'm not gonna bother posting the dozens, if not hundreds, of studies done showing that weight lifting leads to a larger increase in strength in a shorter amount, name the world class coaches that advocate weight lifting or the fact that every major athlete, especially olympic athletes like sprinters, cyclists, wrestlers, speed skaters and what have you, lift weights.

Kat Stevens said:
But on BMQ (remember?)  nobody will ever yell at you "drop and bench me 3 sets of 12 reps of 200 pounds".  You can get gorilla strong, but you don't need that for BMQ, which was the point of the thread, I think.  You don't have to explode off the line like a nose tackle either, plenty of time to get that after BMQ.

I'm sick of people moaning about push ups and strength training and making all kinds of silly assumptions and drawing silly conclusions, so I decided to run a little test here.

I haven't done push ups since I was in my early teens and definitely not even once since I started lifting weights.

Right now, I'm a shade under 5'10, weigh ~210 lbs and I just cranked out 36 without pausing.

I'm fairly confident I could have struggled my way to 45 and maybe really pushed it 50, but I have to press again tomorrow and I wasn't going to mess that up to do this.

Yes, they were full rep push ups.

I did heavy, high rep strict overhead press yesterday along with weighted chin ups last night at the gym, so I would wager my triceps/arms and shoulders are still a bit fatigued, even if they don't feel it.

So...There...Push ups, done by a guy who rarely goes over five reps in the gym and "only trains for strength".

Mind=Blown.

Do you read, I mean AT ALL?  Go ahead and be a gorilla, nobody gives a rat arsed flying crap.  You will do multiple, multiple pushups on BMQ, and this is from someone who did it.  Pushups are what you will do a shitload of, not 36, maybe 50 if you push it...once.  Fuck man, nobody is saying don't get stupid strong, but it isn't necessary for BMQ, pushups, sit ups and chinups are, BECAUSE THEY ARE WHAT YOU WILL DO. 

Okay, I'm done now, carry on,

Kat Stevens said:
Do you read, I mean AT ALL?  Go ahead and be a gorilla, nobody gives a rat arsed flying crap.  You will do multiple, multiple pushups on BMQ, and this is from someone who did it.  Pushups are what you will do a shitload of, not 36, maybe 50 if you push it...once.  frig man, nobody is saying don't get stupid strong, but it isn't necessary for BMQ, pushups, sit ups and chinups are, BECAUSE THEY ARE WHAT YOU WILL DO. 

Okay, I'm done now, carry on,

Why the term "gorilla"? Oh...You're one of those people, with those prejudices against people who strength train?

Maybe I'm getting confused again, but you're saying minimum of 50 in one go? How many recruits can do that? How many can do 36 in a row? Either way, based on that one set, I'll step out on a limb and say I'd be cool with the push up situation.

Either way, in the vast majority of situations, when people here are questioned for information, the minimum is the only thing advocated. "Jog, push ups, sit ups, chin ups. Nothing more is needed because that's all you'll do at BMQ."

No, I'm not.  A gorilla is a very strong animal.  Strong like gorilla, get it?  I don't give a crap how, or if, or when you train.  Different horses for different courses.  You're still getting wrapped up in some perceived prejudice against you and all the other strength guys... don't waste your energy, I have none.  Back to the original question, just one more time, if you please.  P90X is a decent way to prepare for BMQ, full stop.  Anything else you want to do to augment it is all gravy, now climb down off your persecution cross and go lift something heavy, you'll feel better.

Kat Stevens said:
  You're still getting wrapped up in some perceived prejudice against you and all the other strength guys...

Lol. You've read some of the other posts in this thread, right?

Locked because of the gong show it turned into.

If anyone has something of actual merit to add we will consider reopening.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back