• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

p90x to make BMQ PT a bit easier. Good/Bad Idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rofl Aviator that animation is WIN.

Kratos: perhaps I worded my original post a bit wrong. I am using p90x to gain strength yes, but I'm also using it to gain back my endurance and overall athletic ability, including and especially flexibility. I was once able to kick a 7' or slightly higher target. Now I'm lucky if i make it head height with prior warm up and stretching. That, to me, is quite pathetic lol. Once I'm back at my old level of fitness I'll probably start looking for a way to gain the lift-a-car strength while not losing any of the other attributes, like speed, flexibility, accuracy, etc.

That's why I chose a more rounded workout verses a pure strength-so-i-can-lift-a-car routine. I've always found it easier to spar against really strong guys with huge muscles because they tend to be slow. Hence why I never want to be huge, but I still want to be strong. That's not saying really huge guys are easy to beat. Hell if you get hit more than once it takes it's toll FAST. But in my experience the faster attack is the one that lands more often.

Now if you can show me that something like SS can keep me in that kind of shape then I'll look into it. After I'm done p90x.

Brutus: I'm glad you mentioned the plyometrics. I can't think of anything better to help you get over obstacles on the BMQ course. Sure you can just pull yourself up and over but how much easier if you can jump half way there. (this is from my limited knowledge of what the obstacles at BMQ are like of course.)

Searyn said:
Brutus: I'm glad you mentioned the plyometrics. I can't think of anything better to help you get over obstacles on the BMQ course. Sure you can just pull yourself up and over but how much easier if you can jump half way there. (this is from my limited knowledge of what the obstacles at BMQ are like of course.)

Don't worry about the obstacle course, it's easy-peezy anyhow (the Wainwright one is at least). The benefit you will gain for your course is core strength, muscular endurance, durability, and just the act of working your muscles so you don't shock your body. Truthfully, I don't think BMQ will be much of a physical challenge, but being fit will start your career on the right foot.

If you are going to pick one of the days of p90 to really give 'er on, pick the plyo. It's fantastic and very relevant to you.

And again, don't knock the yoga! Especially if you want more flexibility!

Searyn said:
Rofl Aviator that animation is WIN.

Kratos: perhaps I worded my original post a bit wrong. I am using p90x to gain strength yes, but I'm also using it to gain back my endurance and overall athletic ability, including and especially flexibility. I was once able to kick a 7' or slightly higher target. Now I'm lucky if i make it head height with prior warm up and stretching. That, to me, is quite pathetic lol. Once I'm back at my old level of fitness I'll probably start looking for a way to gain the lift-a-car strength while not losing any of the other attributes, like speed, flexibility, accuracy, etc.

That's why I chose a more rounded workout verses a pure strength-so-i-can-lift-a-car routine. I've always found it easier to spar against really strong guys with huge muscles because they tend to be slow. Hence why I never want to be huge, but I still want to be strong. That's not saying really huge guys are easy to beat. Hell if you get hit more than once it takes it's toll FAST. But in my experience the faster attack is the one that lands more often.

Now if you can show me that something like SS can keep me in that kind of shape then I'll look into it. After I'm done p90x.

- You can very strong doing barbell lifts/traditional strength training while maintain a very high degree of explosive power and flexibility. Look at videos of Olympic lifters on YouTube for examples. They come in all sizes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOA5RbAQWA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAuS0R4dozs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9sPllx4G8M

- I think you'll find small guys will always be faster than big guys. That's just the way it works. Looks at boxing and MMA. The big guys are still not slow. (Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali, anyone?) Big guys who are out of shape will be slow. Muscle size has little to do with it other than increasing the rate of oxygen usage.

- Doing SS, cardio and military specific training (push ups, etc.) can definitely get you in that kind of shape, I'm positive of that. I can't physically show you, but you should see how it would work.

While those guys in your links are all very strong, that is something I could never see myself doing. That is way too big.

Searyn said:
While those guys in your links are all very strong, that is something I could never see myself doing. That is way too big.

If you mean they are physically too big then I think that only fits the first video. Rezazadeh competed in the 105+ kg class. The man in the second video only weighs 77 kg, though. Third video 105 kg.

The main point of posting those videos was to show you that you can be big and very strong, or small and very strong and still remain very flexible and explosive.

Size/strength and mobility/flexibility don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Honestly, there are some aspects of P90X that I like and some I don't. So i end up selecting some of their work outs and implementing it all into a workout of my own. Works great because I get the endurance as well as the weight training I do on my own.

In the morning do running, ruckmarching and swimming.

At night do P90X

I thought the yoga was pretty ridiclous until I was able to crouch and put my hands on the floor, lean forward so I'm balancing on my hands then slowly move into a handstand, jedi style.  5'9 190 lbs Jedi at that!

Next comes handstands on a bed of spikes..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryGoK1l4KBk
Not sure how that will help me out in the army mind you, unless I'm attacked by ninjas.

And the new push-up standard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGKRfMLYLow

Grimaldus said:
, unless I'm attacked by ninjas.

You never know....

ninjas-theyre-everywhere.jpg

Kraots,

Walk away man.

Scott said:
Kraots,

Walk away man.

Or, I'll state my opinion, be it popular or not, because that's what forums are for.

...And not turtle when people attempt to come down on me, even though they themselves probably know next to nothing on the given subject.

CDN Aviator said:
Are you freakin 12 years old ?

::)

No, but apparently some other people that posted in this thread are.

And I got a warning for the above post? Lol.

Kratos said:
No, but apparently some other people that posted in this thread are.

And I got a warning for the above post? Lol.

Actually, looking as our records, you have been warned several times in the past for your attitude.  You don't seem to have taken heed to any of them.  You are now climbing the ladder.

George Wallace said:
Actually, looking as our records, you have been warned several times in the past for your attitude.  You don't seem to have taken heed to any of them.  You are now climbing the ladder.

I think this might be my first official warning, but either way, it's no problem.

One of the PMs I received from a member of the Directing Staff stated that I was "pissing people off that have been doing PT for years," besides being almost completely irrelevant, he made it seem as if that was some sort of automatic ticket to them being correct and me being incorrect. I would call that terrible justification for not wanting someone to post stuff. I told them that I really don't follow or like the "they've been doing it for longer than you and, therefore, are definitely correct" argument and his reply was: "That's the way the CF works."

Why would I take heed to that?

You know; the more you continue to yammer, the brighter your blimp gets on our radar. 

Kratos said:
I think this might be my first official warning, but either way, it's no problem.

One of the PMs I received from a member of the Directing Staff stated that I was "pissing people off that have been doing PT for years," besides being almost completely irrelevant, he made it seem as if that was some sort of automatic ticket to them being correct and me being incorrect. I would call that terrible justification for not wanting someone to post stuff. I told them that I really don't follow or like the "they've been doing it for longer than you and, therefore, are definitely correct" argument and his reply was: "That's the way the CF works."

Why would I take heed to that?

You really should just walk away as was suggested. Go lift some tonnage and take your mind off this. Nothing good will be gained by pursuing this line.

Milnet.ca Staff

George Wallace said:

You know; the more you continue to yammer, the brighter your blimp gets on our radar.

Roll your eyes, but then read the last line of your sig.

Recceguy, I apologize for defending myself and expressing my opinions/points of view.

Kratos said:
Roll your eyes, but then read the last line of your sig.

Recceguy, I apologize for defending myself and expressing my opinions/points of view.

Welcome to the warning system. You just couldn't walk away and had to adopt the 'I was bullied' line when you were not.

I tried getting you to take a bow, but no.

Have it your way then, you got your attention now.

I'd just like to add and say that I've done the P90X doubles routine, and it was great. My cardio and endurance shot through the roof, but I did lose a chunk of strength. I could do about 170 pushups at the end, but I was struggling with pushing more than two plates a side on bench.

That was during the summer months, I've since been off of it and I'm starting the classic routine tomorrow. I think the program works, because I've seen the results within myself. I am also a firm believer in 'muscle confusion', because it keeps your body guessing and therefore working harder all the time.

Cheers,
MPwannabe

I am familiar with P90X (tried it out) and  am going to offer my opinion on it, take it for what its worth

Its basically circuit training. If your an out of shape slob, it can be overwhelming. However, the original poster has stated some martial arts expirience (BB in TKD is pretty decent) so I can assume you have a base level of fitness. Here is a point to keep in mind

1. Weights are great for strength training if used properly (High rep, more cardio based routines are best left to bodyweight exercises).
2. Strength trg comes much better and at much more bang for the buck if you use lower reps (1-5) and higher sets (depends on individual) and good exercises that tax a large portion of the body (dead Lifts, Squats, Bench press, Over Head Press, Snatches, cleans, dips, pull ups).
3. I would reccomend ramping up with weights (keep reps same at lower end) and start light, gradually increase to heavy-ish
4. Alot of people confuse cardio fatigue as a good sign of a good workout, BUYER beware, being bagged at the end of every workout is not always good and LEADS TO BURN OUT (Neural fatigue). I find alot of guys in the service (including myself until about two years ago) associated being bagged with fitness. I learned some cool stuff from a young and very fit officer about proper PT planning and fatigue management. Eventually in the CF, we will get better at it.
5. Comparing P90X to more traditional army circuit trg, I prefer army circuit trg. More calisthetics and exercises with minimal/no eccentric loading.
6. Eccentric loading is another topic, lets just leave it at this, the more eccentric loading you do, the more neural fatigue will kick in (and force increased recovery time)
7. One Issue I have with P90X, I have seen alot of people start it with a bang, and then sizzle out after 5-8 weeks.
8. Nothing wrong with good old running to get cardio up (Hill runs, endurance runs, wind sprints, mix it up and build up all aspects of givin 'er)
9. Another form of strength training over looked (and real world application) are strong man lifts. Truck pull ing with rope, truck pushing, heavy object carrying known as farmers walk, casualty evacuation is a nice army one, sand bag carrying and throwing

Anyways, I guess the biggest thing is to decide what exactly you want, what aspect of fitness is your priority. Keep in mind, if you don't know much and do little, P90X is better than nothing BUT its gimmicky and trendy IMO. Its circuit training and not much more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back