• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

p90x to make BMQ PT a bit easier. Good/Bad Idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Searyn

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first post on these boards. However, I've been reading them almost nonstop for a few days. I applied to the Combat Engineers back at the beginning of April 2010, but at the end of April I got a phone call saying that it was closed and would be until April 2011. After reading these boards I understand why.

Anyway, I've done a fair bit of research on what they do (yes I know it's not just blowing stuff up or busting down doors, that's only a small part of their job) and I've decided to stick with it and wait it out, even if it means I won't be able to join until 2012 or later.

My problem is this: I'm 6'4" 205lbs 22% body fat but I've never been exceptionally muscular. I'm a 1st Dan Black belt in ITF Tae Kwon-Do and have always been best at sparring, since it doesn't require too much strength. (It's mostly about precision hits and control, in ITF sparring. It's not a point unless it's within 2-3 inches from the target... that is when it's competition and not practice. In practice it's full contact if you both agree to it) However now that I know I'll eventually be joining the CF I need to gain muscle strength as well.

I started doing p90x last Sunday (24 Oct) and I'll be completing at least one full round. I chose it because it's a cardio and complete full body workout, with a nutrition guide to help you succeed (at least that's what I believe with my limited knowledge base)

My question is, Has anyone who is now in the CF done this workout before going through BMQ? And how much did it help? Or if you did it after you joined how would you rate it as a "pre-BMQ get into better shape" routine.

I should also mention that I've read a lot of posts about how easy the application PT test is, or how different from everything BMQ is. That's all well and good. But that's not the point of my question. I only want to use p90x as a means of making my life at BMQ a bit easier (and hopefully scoring near the top on as much as possible) by making my whole body stronger, not as a means of passing the PT test.

Thank you so much for your advice.
P.S. I did do a few searches for p90x but it was only ever mentioned casually in a post as an example; never as a whole topic, that I could find anyway.

In my experience, any proper exercise program which a person actually follows through and completes, without quitting, modifying, or only partially attempting, will have a positive effect on their life.

I would encourage you to focus more on completing a program, than trying to find the best program. As a beginner, most of the results come from actually doing something regularly, as opposed to the specifics of what that something is.

That said, I personally haven't completed P90X. Perhaps someone will come along who has, and can give you feedback.

If you're looking to get stronger and lose weight, you should explore other options...

Grimaldus said:

Because there are more effective ways to achieve those goals?

Also, it's primarily concerned with aesthetics, not performance.

You're not offering much in the way of validating your argument.

I'm not saying you're wrong but simply replying "Don't do it" isn't very helpful, don't you agree?

IMHO P90x is a great way to improve/maintain your cardio, but if you are concerned about your strength I would suggest modifying your current fitness regime by adding some strength training in as well. While it's been a while since I completed basic (12 yrs and counting  ;D) doing anything to improve your fitness before a course will be to your benefit. My unit has been throwing P90x at us at least once a week for the past month and I've noticed an improvement on my endurance.

My  :2c: for what it's worth, good luck with your courses.  :salute:

Kratos said:
Because there are more effective ways to achieve those goals?

Also, it's primarily concerned with aesthetics, not performance.

I have a few buddieswho are fitness machines who will disagree with you about the performance aspect of P90x.

The thread starter wants to get stronger.

P90X is not the best way.

Doing body weight exercises and light dumbbell movements is not the best way to get stronger while also losing quite a bit of weight.

I'm not going to post in this thread anymore.

CDN Aviator said:
Says you.

Fitness opinions are like arseholes.........

Right, and there are some things that aren't matter of opinions.

Oops, just lied about not posting, I guess.

Kratos said:
The thread starter wants to get stronger.

P90X is not the best way.

Doing body weight exercises and light dumbbell movements is not the best way to get stronger while also losing quite a bit of weight.

I'm not going to post in this thread anymore.

You're not backing up your comments with facts though.

I can say the LAV 3 sucks but if I don't give you reasons why, how much credit can you give what I'm saying?

Grimaldus said:
You're not backing up your comments with facts though.

I can say the LAV 3 sucks but if I don't give you reasons why, how much credit can you give what I'm saying?

Because people can and should be able to do their own research?

Get stronger involves exposing yourself to a progressively heavier stimulus/load. For this reason, body weight exercises can only go so far. Then what? You can do more reps, but again, this can only go so far in making you stronger. The P90X commercial starts off with the words "If you want to look extraordinary".

I believe Mike Turscher is in the US Air Force. Look him up on YouTube. Why doesn't he just use P90X?

Kratos said:
I believe Mike Turscher is in the US Air Force. Look him up on YouTube. Why doesn't he just use P90X?
I got a congress weenie and some tubby german guy  ???

Heh I don't need to lose weight. like I said I'm 6'4" and only 205. I've been a twig my entire life (When I was 20 I thought it was awesome that I finally broke the 180 mark). 205 is the heaviest I've ever been. (I'm 25 now).

You can use p90x to either a) tone your muscles, thereby giving yourself that ripped look. or B) build your muscles. Which is what I am using it for.

It's all in the number of reps before failing. By "failing" I mean the point at which you can't lift the weight safely (with the proper form) without injuring yourself. Which is determined by how much weight you lift each rep

Do 12-17 reps before you can't lift the weights properly and you're toning for the vanity aspect. However, if you do 5-8 before you can't lift the weights then you're building muscle. That goes for any routine. It's a matter of how you use p90x that defines what you gain from it. So saying it's purely for aesthetics doesn't make sense, in my mind anyway.

on a side note: I really hope someone who's done the program notices this thread soon heh. I didn't intend it to start a flame war between people who think their way is best.

Searyn said:
Heh I don't need to lose weight. like I said I'm 6'4" and only 205. I've been a twig my entire life (When I was 20 I thought it was awesome that I finally broke the 180 mark). 205 is the heaviest I've ever been. (I'm 25 now).

You can use p90x to either a) tone your muscles, thereby giving yourself that ripped look. or B) build your muscles. Which is what I am using it for.

It's all in the number of reps before failing. By "failing" I mean the point at which you can't lift the weight safely (with the proper form) without injuring yourself. Which is determined by how much weight you lift each rep

Do 12-17 reps before you can't lift the weights properly and you're toning for the vanity aspect. However, if you do 5-8 before you can't lift the weights then you're building muscle. That goes for any routine. It's a matter of how you use p90x that defines what you gain from it. So saying it's purely for aesthetics doesn't make sense, in my mind anyway.

on a side note: I really hope someone who's done the program notices this thread soon heh. I didn't intend it to start a flame war between people who think their way is best.

- You're right, you are skinny, all the more reason not to do P90X, where one of the main goals is to lose weight.
- There is no such thing as "toning". There is more muscle and less muscle, more body fat and less body fat.
- I think you're mistaken on the whole reps and lifting for vanity thing. Even those who train purely for strength can and do use higher reps.
- The P90X website is called beachbody.com. Lol.

The secret behind the P90X workout system is an advanced training technique called Muscle Confusion™, which accelerates the results process by constantly introducing new moves and routines so your body never plateaus, and you never get bored! Whether you want to get lean, bulk up, or just plain get ripped, there's an endless variety of ways to mix and match the routines to keep you motivated the full 90 days and beyond!

It's too bad "muscle confusion" isn't real, isn't it?

I don't think my way is best, but I definitely know it's better.

Do you know what Starting Strength is? Do you know what a deadlift, squat or overhead press is?

Do you really want to get stronger?

:brickwall:

Hey...fitness god.....weren't you going to stop posting in this ?

On BMQ you are not going to be expected to bench press a '58 Buick.  You will be expected to be fit. P90X will do that, in spades if you follow it.

Kat Stevens said:
On BMQ you are not going to be expected to bench press a '58 Buick.  You will be expected to be fit. P90X will do that, in spades if you follow it.

I have to agree, and disagree with the above statement.

Your BMQ fitness test might involve a "car lift", might be a Buick, or Chevy, or etc....if the DS sees fit.

Just kidding, but what Kat Stevens is throwin' down, you should pick up.
Just get in shape.

From my experience, as long as you're in shape, (don't matter if you're an arm, leg, or superbuns person)...you're in shape.

That's what matters.

Just don't buy a "shakeweight". That shit is so gay, Boy George just called it Gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back