• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

p90x to make BMQ PT a bit easier. Good/Bad Idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDN Aviator said:
Here we go again.....

This post adds nothing to the discussion and I don't understand why you keep making similar others.

If you don't want to read the thread because it's not to your liking, then don't.

Ahh as i said; I did NOT want this to become a bickering battle

Chilme said:
Kratos,

Below is just one example (of many) of evidence that is contrary to what you re saying.  I'm not necessarily saying you are wrong, I'm just saying human physiology is not always Black and White.

I realise this, and I'm not going to pretend I fully understand the research presented in that article (even after reading the article in it's entirety). Some people use eccentric/negative training as part of strength training, but I'm not sure how/if that relates to the article

I was essentially echoing what MJP laid out in his post. Improving your cardiovascular fitness won't do anything to improve your limit strength. If you are trying to get stronger, excess cardio can actually hinder strength gains. I don't believe that's disputed by anyone.

canada94 said:
Ahh as i said; I did NOT want this to become a bickering battle

And it won't if the same certain poster will stop attempting to instigate something out of nothing by means of pointless posts, especially when there is positive discussion taking place.

Kratos said:
I realise this, and I'm not going to pretend I fully understand the research presented in that article (even after reading the article in it's entirety). Some people use eccentric/negative training as part of strength training, but I'm not sure how/if that relates to the article

I was essentially echoing what MJP laid out in his post. Improving your cardiovascular fitness won't do anything to improve your limit strength. If you are trying to get stronger, excess cardio can actually hinder strength gains. I don't believe that's disputed by anyone.

Kratos, Please do not make blind statements, how does having "excess cardio" hinder any ability in strength gaining? Show me some studies if there are any?

Mike

canada94 said:
Kratos, Please do not make blind statements, how does having "excess cardio" hinder any ability in strength gaining? Show me some studies if there are any?

Mike

I didn't make a blind statement. I guess I was not very clear, sorry. I don't mean excess cardio as in being too cardiovascularly fit, I mean excess cardio as in cardiovascular training (running, etc.).

If you are trying to get stronger via strength training with weights, intense cardio training can negatively impact recovery and, therefore, strength gains.

I suppose this might be more negligible for someone not concerned solely with getting stronger, but it's something to take into consideration.

Once again the participants of this topic have gotten severely off track.

So ONCE AGAIN I have to ask you all to get back on topic. (this is the third or fourth time now...)

I wont repeat my question again since you all should have read it at least once.

Please stay ON TOPIC.

Actually never mind. MOD's please just lock this thread.

I've gotten my questions answered by the few people who were kind enough to actually read the question they were asked to answer.

Searyn said:
Once again the participants of this topic have gotten severely off track again.
So ONCE AGAIN I have to ask you all to get back on topic.

I wont repeat my question again since you all should have read it at least once.

Please stay ON TOPIC.

otherwise: mods please just lock this thread. clearly certain people can't follow simple directions make relevant posts. including long time posters :(

The original question is still visible in the thread title and the opening post for people to give their opinions.

What wrong with an evolution of discussion on relevant topics?

Searyn said:
Once again the participants of this topic have gotten severely off track again.
So ONCE AGAIN I have to ask you all to get back on topic.

Please stay ON TOPIC.

otherwise: mods please just lock this thread. clearly certain people can't follow simple directions make relevant posts. including long time posters :(

Your question has been answered several times over by a few different people that have utilized P90x.  I can not see how you could possibly need more information regarding the validity and reliability of using the program to pass the physical fitness requirements of BMQ. 

I for one have enjoyed the last little tangent that has happened as it has had for the most part informed posts that hold relevant information on building and maintaining certain forms of physical fitness.

If you'll notice anything about Army.ca is that quite often many threads get off topic, but it doesn't mean that the post contained within are worthless.  If anything I would ask the mods to cut and move the info to one of the already existing training threads as has happened before for many other threads, on many other subjects.

Searyn said:
I've gotten my questions answered by the few people who were kind enough to actually read the question they were asked to answer.

Calm down, man.

images

Searyn said:
Once again the participants of this topic have gotten severely off track.

So ONCE AGAIN I have to ask you all to get back on topic. (this is the third or fourth time now...)

Please stay ON TOPIC.

Actually never mind. MOD's please just lock this thread.

:crybaby:
Your question has been answered repeatedly stop crying and being dramatic.

Kratos you sound heavy into strength training. What's your cardio like?

I ask because I remember being an out of shape pudgy young reservist at one point and being awe stricken by these monsterous weight-lifting soldiers that looked like upside down triangles.  I then remember going on 16Km runs or ruckmarches with these guys and they would start to thunder in.  Do you think the kind of strength you've shown in your videos of that dude is more important than someone who is more balanced out?

Grimaldus said:
:crybaby:
Your question has been answered repeatedly stop crying and being dramatic.

Kratos you sound heavy into strength training. What's your cardio like?

I ask because I remember being an out of shape pudgy young reservist at one point and being awe stricken by these monsterous weight-lifting soldiers that looked like upside down triangles.  I then remember going on 16Km runs or ruckmarches with these guys and they would start to thunder in.  Do you think the kind of strength you've shown in your videos of that dude is more important than someone who is more balanced out?

The man in the first set of YouTube videos I posted (post 14) is a member of the US Air Force.

I'm not sure what physical requirements they have, but I'm assuming he has to pass them, no?

My cardio? Most definitely terrible and I would never deny that. How often do I do cardio training? Never. If it was required of me, then I would implement a plan to improve it.

A few years ago when I was powelifting as my main component and I would do my CF express test and marches etc I would far exceed the requirements of all the tests except the shuttlerun- I was an 8.5 to 9.5'r (depending on recency of squat excercises).

But I NEVER did cardio. Twenty minutes on the bike to warm up and that was it. But I think to be better at running the answer is to run- I cant stair climb my way to better runs (unless Im obese).

But big muscles = big daily caloric requirements. That isn't always good for military folks.

Kratos said:
I didn't make a blind statement. I guess I was not very clear, sorry. I don't mean excess cardio as in being too cardiovascularly fit, I mean excess cardio as in cardiovascular training (running, etc.).

If you are trying to get stronger via strength training with weights, intense cardio training can negatively impact recovery and, therefore, strength gains.

I suppose this might be more negligible for someone not concerned solely with getting stronger, but it's something to take into consideration.

Now i understand you meant something different then i interpreted. Your right in that sense. Personally the only reason I said what I did is because I believe to be myself a well rounded person strength/cardio wise, so I was confused with the "hindering", as a cross country runner, hockey, football, lacrosse player I somewhat need size and cardio hence my reaction.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back