• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Outdoor Gear Thread

Question for anyone who has hiked Keji.  I've read the Parks Canada trail descriptions, etc but was wondering if anyone would be willing to give thumbs up/down to any particular ones/areas there, particularly to fall hikes and possible overnight/wknd solo's.

Making some plans for this upcoming fall season, my favorite.  The plan for Mt Carleton is coming along with it being a possible solo 3 day'er in Oct.  8)

I've picked up a few items over the summer....MSR WLI, Mora Bushcraft Survival in orange, my Silva bag (finally).  Can't wait to get 'em dirty.

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer!

I'd take a stop at the outdoor store in Wolfville (not Trail Shop anymore) and speak to Etienne, the older bearded chap, who works there. Fountain of somewhat current info on any trail in NS. Failing that I'd speak to a Warden at the Park. The reason I say this is I heard rumblings that some of the trails leave a lot to be desired as far as marking goes.

I've got Money Point on the horizon, if a fall trip to Tuonela doesn't fly. The girls in the group would rather Tuonela but I am jonesing for Money Point based on the reviews I have gotten.

464 Main St sound about right for Wolfville?

Money Point; another I've never heard of but looks like a gooder.  Walk or paddle in?

Mt Carleton sounds like a fantastic idea that has been on my list of things to accomplish while I am in the Maritimes!  And I think October would be a great time time to go! Mt Carleton is the highest peak in the Maritimes!

Found the most amazing piece of kit.  The Ground Tarp by Warbonnet, basically it is 2 army ground sheets in silnylon sewn together at the ridge.  This thing backs up smaller than a nalgene water bottle and sleeps 3 with kit!  I added ultralight cord and peg kit to the original bag, no problem.  Here's a review.

http://sniperseal.wordpress.com/2013/05/04/warbonnet-outdoors-ground-tarp/

Eye In The Sky said:
464 Main St sound about right for Wolfville?

Money Point; another I've never heard of but looks like a gooder.  Walk or paddle in?

Walk in, but I imagine it's paddleable. We're in early talks about doing Cape Chignecto or Pollett's Cove by yak. Next season thing.

It's just dawning on me that winter is rapidly approaching and I haven't done much since Tuonela. I think  return trip there might be a gooder and we're also discussing faster skiing in Sugarloaf for a group of dudes.

Looking at the ground sheet, I can't help but be reminded of the Bothy Bags I brought back for my brother-in-law as a bailout shelter for his kayak tours. Different applications but the premise seems the same.

Lightguns said:
Found the most amazing piece of kit.  The Ground Tarp by Warbonnet, basically it is 2 army ground sheets in silnylon sewn together at the ridge.  This thing backs up smaller than a nalgene water bottle and sleeps 3 with kit!  I added ultralight cord and peg kit to the original bag, no problem.  Here's a review.

Have you used this in any real rain yet?

Is it the SuperFly that they have on this page? http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php

Cheers

ShredBrad said:
Mt Carleton sounds like a fantastic idea that has been on my list of things to accomplish while I am in the Maritimes!  And I think October would be a great time time to go! Mt Carleton is the highest peak in the Maritimes!

FYI the Park is open for day passes ($8/day, 8am-8pm) for the last day on Sunday 29 Sep '13.  After that you're looking at about 7km each way extra to get to say, the Bald Moutain Brook trailhead (on the west side of the Sagamook/Head/Carleton peaks) from the main gate.

If you are looking to overnight (after the park closes that last Sunday this month) there are tent pads at the Franklin campsite, which is located on the/close to the lake and about 4km in from the gate.

I'm going just not sure when...but my leave pass is already blessed.  I had a decent 2ish weeks off last fall, lucked out and managed it again this year.  ;D

Lightguns said:

Did you get one?  $?  I am looking for an UL roof.  I've had my eye on the TarpTent Scarp 1 or Moment DW but haven't gotten anything yet as I am wary to shell out that much $....

Scott said:
Walk in, but I imagine it's paddleable. We're in early talks about doing Cape Chignecto or Pollett's Cove by yak. Next season thing.

Made me wonder, is say, Red Rocks --> Refugee Cover and rtn doable in canoe?  My back and kayaks don't get along very well....

It's just dawning on me that winter is rapidly approaching and I haven't done much since Tuonela. I think  return trip there might be a gooder and we're also discussing faster skiing in Sugarloaf for a group of dudes.

Noticed a few trees going 'autumn' already.  :eek:  Wow where did THAT summer go.

No doubt there is some unbelievable gear out there but some of it is so bloody expensive!  I was looking at a jacket from Arcteryx until I realized that it was $750.00 and that pretty much put the stop drop on that purchase for me.

Eye In The Sky said:
Did you get one?  $?  I am looking for an UL roof.  I've had my eye on the TarpTent Scarp 1 or Moment DW but haven't gotten anything yet as I am wary to shell out that much $....

I got one 147 with shipping. I like it. I have tried it in real drenching but if you site select well.  It is not the same as the other tarp listed for one is for hammocks.  They are a camping hammock company and are not promoting it very well.  Mostly use an issue ground sheet so this is a perfect upgrade for me. Although it makes a pup style you can rig it as a single sheet one on the long edge.

Eye In The Sky said:
Made me wonder, is say, Red Rocks --> Refugee Cover and rtn doable in canoe?  My back and kayaks don't get along very well....

I think the common advice is to go by yak, but you might have some luck speaking with park staff or locals. Going by boat would sure lessen the drag that is the hills on the way!

X_para76 said:
No doubt there is some unbelievable gear out there but some of it is so bloody expensive!  I was looking at a jacket from Arcteryx until I realized that it was $750.00 and that pretty much put the stop drop on that purchase for me.

Yeah, the stuff can get pricey and I don't know that it's any "better". Besides my Bora Bora, I have a hard shell from Arc'teryx and a set of guide pants from Patagonia that, while at the upper end of price ranges for the piece of kit, are spectacular. Not pruchases I just made off the self without some research, same as most of my kit.

I've also made some really awesome scores with what MEC sells under their brand - I have some polartec I love for skiing and shoulder season, and a wicked set of stretch pants for same. Cheap, cheap.

Lightguns said:
I got one 147 with shipping. I like it. I have tried it in real drenching but if you site select well.  It is not the same as the other tarp listed for one is for hammocks.  They are a camping hammock company and are not promoting it very well.  Mostly use an issue ground sheet so this is a perfect upgrade for me. Although it makes a pup style you can rig it as a single sheet one on the long edge.

I see it now, listed as "GT", but they don't have photos are anything up. I think I'm going to get one.

Lightguns, does that mean you HAVE tried it in a real drenching, or have NOT?

Thanks

No, not in a real torrent, I have it in the rain but my location was raised so there was no leakage under the sides.  I used tent pegs to hold the doors down.  Incidently, the doors have extra material so they can be crossed over one another for extra protection.  Again, 2 spiked pegs on each end ensures a weather tight closure.  I like it.

Another thing I found was "NEW" ALICE packs in modern tactical colours made in 1000D Cordura.  I got one in ACU to pair it with a DOWNEAST 1606 frame and USGI MOLLE Gen IV straps.  It is now my primary canoe pack (and my secondary canoe pack if I ever get to go more more than 3 days).  WWW.fireforceusa.com

Perfect. Yes, I'd expect leakage under the sides, but if nothing came in through the roof, then it sounds perfect for what it is.

There is a youtuber called Black Scout Survival and he has done an excellent video on the ground tarp. I uploaded 2 but I have flu so they ain't great. Search war bonnet ground tarp

Another great gear site I have ordered from is Bear Paw Wilderness Designs.  A cottage industry one man operation that makes ultralight tarps, tents, bug nets, bivys and stuff sacks to order in various materials.  Mostly civie colours by olive and coyote are available.

http://bearpawwd.com/

Hey, People. I'm just kind of pitching an idea here. For those of you like myself who were only issued the 82 pattern ruck, yet spend a fair amount of time in the field. Have any of you found a way to attach snap buckles to the two main straps that secure the main compartment? Just one of those little things that would make a fair bit of difference while bugging out at zero dark stupid. Already jury rigged a sternum strap using part of a small pack which seems to work relatively well.

Back