• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Outdoor Gear Thread

I've seen some people with it, seems like a relatively easy mod to do with some sewing skills.

Both sides of a fastex buckle X 2, some side cutters to remove the old buckle, some paracord or zap straps to attach the buckles to the vacant loops.  5 minutes, done.

I was debating doing that today, wanted to avoid cutting the old buckle in case I had to exchange it but I guess that's probably what I'll end up doing tomorrow. Thanks!

If your bag is chewed enough to exchange they're not going to roast you over two missing buckles that are notoriously feeble to begin with.

BadgerTrapper said:
I was debating doing that today, wanted to avoid cutting the old buckle in case I had to exchange it but I guess that's probably what I'll end up doing tomorrow. Thanks!

Someone tossed your ruck from a truck onto a big rock and it snapped the buckles. Problem solved.

BadgerTrapper said:
Hey, People. I'm just kind of pitching an idea here. For those of you like myself who were only issued the 82 pattern ruck, yet spend a fair amount of time in the field. Have any of you found a way to attach snap buckles to the two main straps that secure the main compartment? Just one of those little things that would make a fair bit of difference while bugging out at zero dark stupid. Already jury rigged a sternum strap using part of a small pack which seems to work relatively well.

Something like this?  Just need the male end and voila. 

http://www.mec.ca/product/5032-342/national-molding-rock-lockster-quick-attach-20mm-dual-adjust-buckle/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008&h=10&q=buckle

I carry spare QuickAttach tensionlocks, Rock Lockster and other fasteners/buckles in my repair kits for my civie packs along with my rip patches, etc.  Pretty cheap to replace and relatively durable.  At least you have a "field replaceable" system by carrying a few spares.

Can't remember 100% but aren't the straps on the ruck 25mm(ish)?  If so, that might be a quick fix for  you and no cutting required.

Summertime means summer leave and knowing I was missing 1 important piece of kit, I spent some time googling, youtube'ing, etc info on LW single-pers tents & hammocks.  Wow, what a variety to pick from.  I had enough money, I would have ended up with Snugpak/Hennessy/DD Hammock/TarpTent/MSR/the list goes on.  Hard job to do, really, but I finally had it narrowed down to 4 items that I thought might work for me. 

1.  TarpTent Moment DW - this rig can be set up so fast, lots of space, duel vestibules.  I will likely add this to my gear though at some point, but I was really favouring hammocks just because of all the reviews on how great a sleep it is for people with bad backs (which I have, compliments of DZ Buzton in '92).

2.  DD Hammocks "Frontline".  Nice system but not quite right.

3.  Exped Scout Hammock Combi.  There was too much about this system I wasn't sold on, and the small tarp was hard to get past.

4.  Hennessy Hammock 'Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip'.  :nod:

I ended up getting the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe from MEC, designed by a Canadian from BC.  I added 2 caribiners, 4 decending rings and 6m of tube webbing, and 2 sets of Snake Skins.  After checking out some stuff on Youtube, using this setup knocks tear-down time to less than a minute and setup is quick and slick as well...after you get it right (time will tell for me).  One idea I picked up from some site was to have the tarp in a 2nd set of snake skins so you can star-gaze while drifting off.  If it starts to rain, zip out of the hammock, pull the skins, pull 2 shock cords down to your 2 pegs and voila, 1-2 minutes later you're back in your fart sack.

All I am waiting for now is (1) my MEC order to arrive and (2) my leave pass for block leave to get signed so I can book sites at Keji for me and Mrs EITS and Carleton for my 2nd week of leave.

;D

Hennessy Asym is the mutts nutts, you're going to love it, just remember to stuff a light quilt or something under you, you are exposed to 360 degrees of cold air don't forget, and some folks report chilled kidneys in the more inhospitable months.  I recently picked up a Napier truck tent to throw in the back of the pickup, what a cool rig, tons of room and dry as a bone in a Winnipeg rain/snow storm 2 weeks ago.  Not exactly ultralight climbing the North Face of Everest type of gear, but fits the niche of setting up wherever the hell I want without sleeping on terra firma nicely.

I've got a ranger blanket for that task for lite pack stuff, and a air mattress (like the green "non inflating - self inflating" army one in size/thickness" for colder temps.  I've looked into the purpose-made add-on from hennessy but will wait to part with the additional $150ish for it.

Still not here from MEC yet.  Tic toc.

New (to me) trekking boat! I just picked up a sweet Boreal Designs P200 from my brother in law who used to run a touring outfit. She'll be in the water for the first time with me today and planning is underway for some shoreline treks as summer progresses.

I also grabbed a Wx/emergency marine radio because as a token safety dude I'd look pretty stupid needing one and not having it. Peace of mind and not overly expensive.

Eye In The Sky said:
Summertime means summer leave and knowing I was missing 1 important piece of kit, I spent some time googling, youtube'ing, etc info on LW single-pers tents & hammocks.  Wow, what a variety to pick from.  I had enough money, I would have ended up with Snugpak/Hennessy/DD Hammock/TarpTent/MSR/the list goes on.  Hard job to do, really, but I finally had it narrowed down to 4 items that I thought might work for me. 

1.  TarpTent Moment DW - this rig can be set up so fast, lots of space, duel vestibules.  I will likely add this to my gear though at some point, but I was really favouring hammocks just because of all the reviews on how great a sleep it is for people with bad backs (which I have, compliments of DZ Buzton in '92).

2.  DD Hammocks "Frontline".  Nice system but not quite right.

3.  Exped Scout Hammock Combi.  There was too much about this system I wasn't sold on, and the small tarp was hard to get past.

4.  Hennessy Hammock 'Explorer Deluxe Asym Zip'.  :nod:

I ended up getting the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe from MEC, designed by a Canadian from BC.  I added 2 caribiners, 4 decending rings and 6m of tube webbing, and 2 sets of Snake Skins.  After checking out some stuff on Youtube, using this setup knocks tear-down time to less than a minute and setup is quick and slick as well...after you get it right (time will tell for me).  One idea I picked up from some site was to have the tarp in a 2nd set of snake skins so you can star-gaze while drifting off.  If it starts to rain, zip out of the hammock, pull the skins, pull 2 shock cords down to your 2 pegs and voila, 1-2 minutes later you're back in your fart sack.

All I am waiting for now is (1) my MEC order to arrive and (2) my leave pass for block leave to get signed so I can book sites at Keji for me and Mrs EITS and Carleton for my 2nd week of leave.

;D

Hey, Eye in the Sky. I was curious as to whether you got the tarp tent ultralight shelter yet? I'm looking for a compact shelter and just noticed your post. If you have one, do you like it? How does it work? etc. So far I just use my ground sheet, however I'm at the point now where I'm considering making an investment. I'm also considering the Snugpack Ionosphere or Stratosphere.

Hey.  I actually ended up deciding on a Hennessy hammock, spent a few extra $ on a pretty nice setup system.  If you are interested I can post what I did with it.

I'd like to try camping in a hammock.  Can I use one of those folding sleep pads from mec or would that distort the hammock too much (and should use a quilted style blanket instea) ?

The thing with hammock camping is you are surrounded by the ambient temp, and it can get chilly underneath.  You're better off, IMHO, to use a foam pad than a quilt under you, it takes seconds to crush down the fill in a quilt, rendering it's insulating value useless.  any of the inexpensive thin foam sleeping pads are a better option, and the form pretty well to the contours of the hammock.  A quilt is the felines rectum for your cover, however.  Again just MHO.

You can definitely use a foam mattress or most other air mattresses inside a hammock. Not only does it insulate you from the breeze underneath you (keep in mind your sleeping bag's insulation is compressed) but it also prevents mosquito bites from below. You don't sleep exactly in line with the hammock, you'll see that the hennessey has little pockets that are a little off centre that you sleep in, which almost allows you to sleep perfectly flat.

I prefer the velcro bottom entry to zippers, less point of failure and it's quite nice to be able to sit in your hammock whilst taking off your boots at night so they are right where you need them in the morning.

Hammocks are fantastic if you are island hopping on a kayak or staying in a wooded area. When the temps dive down a bit though, some sort of underquilt is nice (i just rig a tarp underneath the hammock which isolates the bottom from the wind and creates a little pocket of air). It can be a little fun to hop into your bag and line up on the air mattress inside the hammock (especially when drink is involved) but its worth it. I've camped where no reasonable person could have slept if they were on the ground and kept dry through a complete downpour. Super quick to set up using snakeskins and nite-ize figure 9's which is nice in a downpour. All in all, a good purchase and a pretty reasonable price considering it's a one person shelter (i cringe when i compare the price to my OR Advanced Bivy for winter adventures).

I was embarrassingly reminded this spring about the importance of a sleeping pad/mat.  I was using a very good snugpak sleeping bag on a cot and couldn't figure out why I was freezing all night. I wasn't thinking and didn't have a foam pad. When I  started using one I went from freezing to practically sweating.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I was embarrassingly reminded this spring about the importance of a sleeping pad/mat.  I was using a very good snugpak sleeping bag on a cot and couldn't figure out why I was freezing all night. I wasn't thinking and didn't have a foam pad. When I  started using one I went from freezing to practically sweating.

I was somewhat in the same boat a few months ago on Ex, however I kept rolling off my sleeping pad and waking up freezing.  I couldn't for the life of me solve this problem, then on the 3rd day I was just simply told to slide the pad inside the bivvy bag. It was one of those moments that just makes you go "Oh. . . Yeah. . . . I guess that'll work".

Well summer is over for the most part.  Hope people got to enjoy some of it.

I had a great summer; made it to Mount Carleton Provincial Park on a 5 day solo trip.  Awesome spot.

Did my setup/tour of the park Day #2 after the drive up Day #1.  Day #3 was hiking Carleton, Day #4 was Sagamook.  Day #5 was the drive home and heavy rain messed up my plans to zipline Grand Falls gorge

Finally got to use some kit I'd gotten but not really used at all;

- my Hennessy Explorer Deluxe rocked for comfort.  I used a ranger blanket as a bottom layer with the Asolo Silva and ended up sleeping on the Silva with the blanket over me - it was still plenty warm in the park.  I used the idea I found on the 'net to use a few 'biners and decending rings for quick set up (I add a few half-hitches on each end), and I added the 2nd set of SnakeSkins for the tarp - slick setup.  The picture below isn't from Carleton - went out on a bushcamping trip with a few guys from the Sqn in the Gaspereau River Valley. 

- used freeze-dried meals to save some time for lunch/supper; I use oatmeal with protein powder for breaky.  Few favorites I thought worth mentioning - Mary Jane's Kettle Chili, Natural High Spicy Sausage Pasta and Natural High BBQ Chicken w/Rice

- I use a MSR Pocket Rocket (in the summer, winter I switch to a Whisperlite Intl) with a GSI Dualist; I can fit the stove, 1 bowl/mug/lids and a 225g PowerGas all in the pot and lock the lid on.

- MEC cargo pouch I am glad I bought 2 of these.  I can throw my stove, KFS/spork, a few meal packs, my coffee stuff & mug, and my water filter into one of these.  Keeps everthing org'd and together, I can stick it in my back or if I am carrying more, strap it on the outside.  Getting 4 more of these just for spares; they stop making stuff sometimes and this is one I know I'd miss now.  Great for keeping all my other loose stuff together - neck knife, spare batteries, trail tape - all that little annoying shit.

- MEC's T1 underwear and Gobi liner socks;  worth every penny - not one blister, no chaffing. 

- I also used my Trekker at my site.  Nice little kettle and boiled water almost as fast as the Pocket Rocket.

Mount Carleton Park is a great place to go if you want to get off the grid (they do have Wifi at the Main Gate/Building) with no cell service.  I stayed in the Franquelin sites on Lake Nictua (Site #9 is the best - most privacy and best view on the lake shore).  Mount Carleton summit isn't much of a hard hike, and has great views.  Mount Sagamook is a harder go, but has the best view of the park from the northface. If anyone has any questions on Mt Carleton, fire me a PM or something.

Hope everyone got out somewhere this summer...

Happy trails.

How's the Whisperlite been working for you? I still rock mine when alone, Dragonfly comes along when in need of a bear scare device or simmering capability.

I have the Highlands on my radar over the next two weeks. I am heading there solo before moose season kicks off to drive up the spine and walk off the road in some places I have pegged. I might hit the very western side as well, I hear they are back logging it so the road around the top might just be passable. The last time I was that far in we hit the very top of the NE Margaree and came to a dead stop - a huge culvert was gone and the road impassable. I'm hoping I can make it through.

The following weekend we are taking some new-to-Canada friends for a tour of the Cabot Trail. All driving, token hikes included: Skyline if the weather is fine, Salmon Trail if poor. Doryman if downright ugly :)

Back