• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Outdoor Gear Thread

Nice pictures, EITS. I'm planning a trip with some buddies to head up there in the spring. I recently spent a weekend hiking in Welsford, there are some pretty nice trails there. However due to a massive miscommunication regarding directions, we actually located the spot where Mountain Ops training is conducted near Gagetown. It was pretty neat hike. Only 2 weeks left until Rabbit and Grouse are in season here in New Brunswick, anyone bought any nice toys lately to use this fall? I purchased a new shotgun recently, a Mossberg Maverick O/U 12 Gauge. I've put a few rounds through it, it seems to shoot pretty well. We'll see how it works on opening day!

I also acquired a Snugpack Softie Elite 2 for 40$, brand new condition. I have yet to use it but when offered it for 40$ it's hard to turn down. Anyone like this sleeping bag? Anyone use it? etc.

Scott said:
How's the Whisperlite been working for you? I still rock mine when alone, Dragonfly comes along when in need of a bear scare device or simmering capability.

Love the stove.  But honestly, I haven't really 'used' it much.  Warm weather sees me with the Pocket Rocket (just so quick), I was on course all last winter so didn't get out much.  Now that the cooler weather is here the canister will go on pogy till next summer. 

I have the Highlands on my radar over the next two weeks. I am heading there solo before moose season kicks off to drive up the spine and walk off the road in some places I have pegged. I might hit the very western side as well, I hear they are back logging it so the road around the top might just be passable. The last time I was that far in we hit the very top of the NE Margaree and came to a dead stop - a huge culvert was gone and the road impassable. I'm hoping I can make it through.

Solo can be so awesome.  Go where you want, when you want, etc.  Highlands would be awesome fall hiking..and likely not really busy?  Curious, as I was able to nab 10ish minutes alone on the top of Sagamook to just soak it in, but Carleton was impossible - just too busy.  Now I'm looking at other places I've yet to explore.  CB Highlands.  Hmmmm.

The following weekend we are taking some new-to-Canada friends for a tour of the Cabot Trail. All driving, token hikes included: Skyline if the weather is fine, Salmon Trail if poor. Doryman if downright ugly :)

I've driven the trail 2 times in the fall and loved it both times.  Having seen the pics of the view from Skyline, it's one I've wanted to go back and do as well.

Hop you enjoy them both.  8)

I'm waiting for the fall colors to start - and thinking the Bluff Wilderness Trail next (first 3 loops).  I really like this trail (done the first 2 a few times) and there's a handful of geocaches on it I've yet to log.

BadgerTrapper said:
Nice pictures, EITS. I'm planning a trip with some buddies to head up there in the spring.

Its a great spot!  I really liked it there and will be back.

I recently spent a weekend hiking in Welsford, there are some pretty nice trails there. However due to a massive miscommunication regarding directions, we actually located the spot where Mountain Ops training is conducted near Gagetown. It was pretty neat hike.

Mtn Ops eh.  Ya that could be a nice hiking spot.  Ropes required?

I also acquired a Snugpack Softie Elite 2 for 40$, brand new condition. I have yet to use it but when offered it for 40$ it's hard to turn down. Anyone like this sleeping bag? Anyone use it? etc.

$40.  Nice price. 

Gearing up for a Mt Logan attempt next spring. The kit list rivals anything the Army spits out:

http://www.climbalaska.org/pdf/wb_eq_list.pdf

I'm definitely skiing and already have the AT gear (Black Diamond dynafit stuff). Even though these guys say it isn't needed, I can't decide on whether or not a down suit is required though. 40 below at 19,000ft with a 50knt wind might help me make up my mind.

I'm also undecided on insulated gaiters or not. The 40 Below Purple Haze might be a good idea: https://www.40below.com/products_detail.php?ProductID=1

If anyone knows anyone who's 'been there dun that' I'd appreciate some advice!

Good evening, Folks! I'm looking to hear what the majority of you are using as a daypack? My RUSH 24 HR pack recently experienced it's untimely demise by campfire. I'm tempted to go with something in the Maxpedition line of packs, potentially the Condor. Any input is greatly appreciated, what would also be useful are sites or stores near Oromocto that sell decent bags with the exception of Radical Edge or CP Gear. Thanks folks! Any help is appreciated.

I've got a MEC schoolbag type, enlarged, which has a separate bottom compartment. No issues with MEC gear at all, this thing has been through a few forest fires and now carries my all my day outing needs plus camera gear and tripod.

I also have a Black Diamond ascent pack, 32 L I believe. I think it's a little mighty for a day pack, and I personally hate top loaders for that use, but it does work - if you don't mind hauling everything out because you need your least needed item.

I recently picked this up: http://www.mec.ca/product/4017-232/snow-peak-mini-solo-cookset/?f=10+50130+50486 expressly for solo outings and so far I love it. It boils more than enough water for my needs, has a cup with it, and is uber small and lightweight. I used to break down my pot set and just take the smaller of them - this thing could almost fit in a pocket. A little high on price, but worth it. Just have some hockey tape standing by to wrap the handles, they get a tad warm on the stove.

Scott said:
I've got a MEC schoolbag type, enlarged, which has a separate bottom compartment. No issues with MEC gear at all, this thing has been through a few forest fires and now carries my all my day outing needs plus camera gear and tripod.

I also have a Black Diamond ascent pack, 32 L I believe. I think it's a little mighty for a day pack, and I personally hate top loaders for that use, but it does work - if you don't mind hauling everything out because you need your least needed item.

I recently picked this up: http://www.mec.ca/product/4017-232/snow-peak-mini-solo-cookset/?f=10+50130+50486 expressly for solo outings and so far I love it. It boils more than enough water for my needs, has a cup with it, and is uber small and lightweight. I used to break down my pot set and just take the smaller of them - this thing could almost fit in a pocket. A little high on price, but worth it. Just have some hockey tape standing by to wrap the handles, they get a tad warm on the stove.

The issued canteen cup is cheaper  ;D

I finally took the leap and got me some downhill skis. It's actually more daunting to buy nowadays than it might have been before parabolic came out. You pretty much have to self survey to figure out what ski is best for you. Anyway, it's the right time of year for bindings and boards - it's just that boots are a littler harder to come by, especially if you're between 27 and 30 for size. I managed to get into a pair of Salomon Q85s with Rossi Axial 2 bindings for over 50% off, and this includes mountings and a full service. Sweet, says I.

I ski 50/50 between piste and off, and would spend even more time in the trees if we had better slopes on the east coast. However, planning is starting for a 3 to 5 day trip down to Sugarloaf where the newly opened glades are impressive, to say the least - so my planks will get a workout very soon. Until then they make fine ornaments.

I've also been frigging around with the GoPro in the glades and find that it does a pretty sweet job. With some more thought it'll get to be loads of fun shooting from differing platforms.

Wondering if anyone has hiked the Fundy Circuit?  I have looked at the Parks Canada website but that gives you now real information except that it will take between 3-5 days.  I am trying to find a guide book or information to plan the trip.  I want to try it during summer leave end of August.  If anyone has hiked it and has info / recommendations that they could post I would appreciate it.

Lots of different trails around the Bay. On the New Brunswick side, you can get a great book called Hiking Trails of New Brunswick, currently the third ed. is out. I know it's on Amazon. I used the first edition my first time around and it was very useful.

On the Nova Scotia side, its even easier: The government has a site with all the various trails and you can download the maps from the site: www.trails.gov.ns.ca/

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Lots of different trails around the Bay. On the New Brunswick side, you can get a great book called Hiking Trails of New Brunswick, currently the third ed. is out. I know it's on Amazon. I used the first edition my first time around and it was very useful.

Thanks for the recommendation Oldgateboatdriver, just ordered the book.  If anyone else has any insight on the Fundy Circuit I would be interested on hearing your advice.

So glad I stumbled upon this! I love the outdoors and gear. I'm still in the application process for the military but, I work at SAIL outdoor store in the mean time. So, I love gear talk!

For the Bluenoses: I paddled the Margaree recently, put in at Doyle's Bridge (Margaree Forks) and got out at the resort in Belle Cote. If you're rudderless then you're golden for some tight and quick stuff - if you've got a rudder like me, then you will need to haul her up a few times or bash it to pieces. I wouldn't mind heading down again with some more flow, but that's very relative as a good drenching can really swell that river.

I've been picking away at some new ski gear. I got a pretty sweet deal from Patagonia on a pair of Powder Bowl pants that are currently being hemmed and re-taped. I went with the Triolet jacket from them when I sent back another model that had crapped out. Seriously, you pay more with those guys but the kit is of exceptional quality, as is the guarantee. Don't get me wrong, I could have gone with MEC for a slight savings, but I have found, pretty consistently, that Patagonia has a great fit for me.

I've got some feedback in from some of the resorts I have contacted. If the dollar keeps the way it is then Jay Peak would be the only one I'd consider Stateside because they take Canadian bucks at par. I have the trio of Mont Sainte Anne, Stoneham and le Massif on my radar and they're currently winning out.

Hoping everyone is getting 'off the grid' or at least away from the computer and couch a few times this fall.  I had a pretty decent summer; despite living in NS for years I had never camped/canoed in Keji before but changed that in August.  Awesome couple of days on the lake, anyone close who can manage a backcountry site won't be disappointed.  Backcountry sites are avail for online reservation in 2016 beginning 26 Jan 16 and they go FAST.  This year, they've also extended the Keji camping dates to the end of October.

Gear;  my 3 ones from this summer/fall I thought worth mentioning are:

1.  Atlantic Canada GPS Backroad GPS Maps v5 by Backroad Mapbooks.  Easy in install, unlock and use, works flawlessly with Basecamp and my GPS (Garmin 62S) with zero issues yet.  Once you unlock it and add the included GMA file, it has much more detail and info than Garmin TOPO Canada; I've attached a screenshot of the same area (Keji National Park) in BRMB on the left, and Garmin TOPO on the right just to give you an idea.  A zoomed in view is too big to attach here but the BRMB version shows trails, relief, wetlands, portages, lots of great useful info.  Well worth the $100ish I spent.

2.  Optimus Terra Weekened HE cookset and clip-on windscreen.  I love the speed and ease of canister stoves when the temp's are warmer and use a Pocket Rocket and GSI Pinnacle Dualist most of the time, but their boil times start nose-diving in Sept or anytime there is more than a puff of a breeze.  I liked some reviews on the Optimus set-up so decided to part with some pay;  $33 and tax to MEC for the pot set and I picked up the windscreen on Ebay for about $20 from the States. 

I had my first chance to try it out when Mrs EITS and I went to northern NB for the weekend to do Mt Carleton.  Awesome day, awesome hike.  When we got to the top and into the winds...brrrr; time for a brew-up.  The temp's were 2-5'ish Celsius, winds about 2O.  The summit tower blocked most of the wind but it was curling around pretty good.  The heat exchanger and windscreen really made a difference using a canister stove.  Water boiled in about 2 minutes, faster than I was expecting as I didn't have the coffee or food ready for it yet.  Very happy to have dropped the $50ish on the kit.  The only part about the stove I don't like when compared to the Dualist is how the Dualist will fit scraper, lighter x 2, the bowl/mug set with lids and a 225g canister all in the pot; very compact and user-friendly.  The Terra Wknd will hold the canister but that's about it.

Highlight of the summer was probably the 2 days in August spent on Keji Lake; great weather and paddling.  The fall; a 3 day weekend trip to Carleton.  Overnighted the first night in Bathurst, into the park for the day, and on to Grand Falls that night.  Woke up to frost and -2 temps in early Oct, and off to see the falls and gorge that morning before a great fall day driving back home.  Even got 1 night of backcountry camping on an island site (#14) in Keji just a few nights ago.  Hoping and planning for a few more hikes before the snow starts;  South Granite Ridge, Devils Bend, and the first two loops of the Bluff Wilderness would be awesome to take in as it's been a few years since I've been to any of them. 

Hope everyone is enjoying at least some of the fall;  Happy (and safe) trails!!

I had posted that the distances given in literature about Devil's Bend were off - I see that is now corrected. That said, it is still a good trail for trusting your gut when you lose the markers. Also some great lookoffs on it and the payoff of the falls at the end. Even the gravel road back out is a nice walk.

Speaking of trusting your gut: same for North Granite. Not so sure about the South section, it is one that has always eluded me. I'll say this, never, not everneverever hike that motherfucker unless certain all snow is gone.  :nod:

Speaking of snow: I am waiting for winter now! I heard that Sunday River just started testing snow cannons which means ski season is approaching. Yeah baby.

EITS, not sure if you like cycling, but Antigonish has something pretty special started with the Keppoch.

Scott said:
I had posted that the distances given in literature about Devil's Bend were off - I see that is now corrected. That said, it is still a good trail for trusting your gut when you lose the markers. Also some great lookoffs on it and the payoff of the falls at the end. Even the gravel road back out is a nice walk.

I did the DB about 3 years ago and really enjoyed it, especially the falls at the end.  Awesome afternoon.

Speaking of trusting your gut: same for North Granite. Not so sure about the South section, it is one that has always eluded me. I'll say this, never, not everneverever hike that motherfucker unless certain all snow is gone.  :nod:

Opposite here...I've done Admiral Loop and South Granite 3 or so times, but not the north one.  I'm hoping to give it a go this fall though if I can scrounge an extra day off work in Nov...

EITS, not sure if you like cycling, but Antigonish has something pretty special started with the Keppoch.

I have a CCM 29er 'mountain bike'.  I don't ride that often but would love to have a reason to do it more!!  I never could get myself to spend $$$ on a bike to date though...

Thread has been dead, with summer around the corner, I thought I'd give it some life.

Gear stuff.  I've been on the lookout for a good mid-cut for day hikes.  I ended up going with a pair of Columbia Redmond's.  I didn't want a pair of waterproof ones, but these fit so well and felt 'right' the way they fit around the ankle, I didn't want to take them off.  Sold.

Aside from some big ticket items (a canoe for example) I want to get, there wasn't really much I needed for this year, but I did get this idea to get a tomahawk in my head.  It wouldn't go away, so I ended up picking up a CRKT chogan off ebay for about $60 CAD.  I added a black Kydex sheath for about $20 plus shipping.  Didn't really need it as my Gerber sport ax is still kicking but...I dunno, just had to part with some cash I guess.

Managed to get some sites booked for this summer as well:

Keji - getting *island* sites at Keji is pretty difficult and I wasn't able to get Site 16 at all  :mad:.  However, we were able to get Site 14 for a night for a 2 day trip [awesome site!!] and site 18 for another 1-nighter followed by the Yurt down by Jakes Landing.

Porters Lake - the southern point on Loop C (Site 77) was a car camping site I've always wanted to try; snagged that for one night earlier on in the summer.  I've stayed at 44 on Loop C before and really liked it for a car camping night.

Fundy - never really spent any time there in the summer but am going for a few nights this summer.  Considered doing a night at the Goose River sites, but opted to stay in Point Wolfe and hit the park in all direction out of 1 site for my time there. 

Looks like I'll be getting some time off in the fall too.  I've got my eye on Kathadin and the White Mountains combined in with some shopping and stuff around that area.  Anyone who's done the Hunt Trail or White Mountain trails before, I'd be all ears to thoughts and experiences.

Hope everyone is enjoying the spring, happy trails.

My review on the Lifestraw Go Bottle:

http://www.skinnymoose.com/desertrat/2016/07/25/lifestraw-go-bottle-a-review/

Back